18 months without a raise

MAKAVELI

I get it fine. He's saying they're owed a cost of living raise on top of a regular raise. Topped out isn't owed anything. The company gave them a bonus. And midrange isn't being cheated. Far from it. They're getting their step raise 6 months early. That means they moved up only 6 months after the last raise, instead of waiting a year for it.
You're missing the point. When top gets a cola 3%, steps 1 -9 also get a bump somewhere between 2-3%. So instead of getting a standard step raise we would get the step + 2-3%. That 2-3% compounds over time and is worth more than just receiving a standard step 6months early. It's the same scenario for topped out drivers. Capping step 10 hurts their future earnings. Like @fedex_rtd said, FedEx is actually saving money doing this. It's nothing more than a shell game.

fedex_rtd

You're missing the point. When top gets a cola 3%, steps 1 -9 also get a bump somewhere between 2-3%. So instead of getting a standard step raise we would get the step + 2-3%. That 2-3% compounds over time and is worth more than just receiving a standard step 6months early. It's the same scenario for topped out drivers. Capping step 10 hurts their future earnings. Like @fedex_rtd said, FedEx is actually saving money doing this. It's nothing more than a shell game.

I’m glad you understand.

vantexan

Where in the plan that was presented did it ever say that midrange would get more than the next step on the step plan? Where did it say that top out was guaranteed a COLA? It didn't. There's no Step 11. And midrange didn't get cheated. They got their normal raise 6 months early. That's better pay for 18 months instead of 12.

vantexan

Just so we're clear, I understand what you're saying about midrange getting a bump up if top out gets a COLA. Here's the thing you need to realize. Midrange employees were expected to bite the bullet for a very long time, making considerably less and getting smaller raises than top out. Now the shoe is on the other foot. What was happening resulted in unsustainable turnover of new hires. It was reaching a tipping point. The new hires are the future. Now the company is focused on retention of new hires, assuring them a halfway reasonable time to better pay, not to mention better starting pay. Who loses in this? The topped out employees are no longer guaranteed an annual raise. They may get a bonus, may not. I suspect they will as long as the company is doing well. But to keep the new hires and midrange happy the company took away from another group. It's the top out's turn to feel some pain. But they are getting top pay so their pain is considerably less than what midrange experienced for many years.

Oldfart

I used step 9to 10 as an example, however you bragging about the top of range getting a 3% bonus when nobody else did show you don’t care about your fellow employees.

Good for you! The company likes stupid employees that only think short term. Do you think that bonus will continue??? How many times have you seen these bonus or payout scams continue for mor than a few years?

The employees that lost out were the lower and mid range employees that only got a step raise of 3% to 4%, but they did not get the additional 3% cost of living raise that we traditionally get in October.

Only a fool would think an early 4% raise 6 months early is better than a 7% raise 6 months later knowing that it will be compounded in the future pay actions.
So you expect to get a 7% raise every year because you did 1 or 2 years with the 10 step plan? Man, you are a fool.

Oldfart

You have only seen $1150. Your hoping that they will pay out the rest in October, and continue to do so again in April.

Just remember what happened in the past to “bonus” pays...they disappear with no explanations.
Once again, your bitterness is clouding your judgement. The date for the Oct. payout has been announced. Nobody mentioned an April 2020 payment.

Oldfart

Only a fool would be happy with a bonus instead of a raise.
For people with common sense, it was clearly explained why topped out got a bonus instead of a raise. Guess that is why you and rtd can't comprehend. Why don't you wait till next Oct. and see what happens before you complain.

fedex_rtd

As a topped out employee I do not expect a 7%, but I am not a company suck up like you, and I will go to bat for the lower end employees that got shafted with this last PR scam on pay.

fedex_rtd

Just remember that history repeats itself at FedEx. Around 2000 we went from two raises a year at 3.5% max to a one time 7% raise...in the following years that 7% turned into 6%, followed by a drop to 5%, then to 4% and finally they did away with the reviews and you got 3%...that is how the mid range employees got shafted.

Now they froze the top pay and entry pay during one of the highest economical boom eras, 91 months of growth, do you think an employee that goes from step 5 to step 6 is going to be moving up economically??? No that person will be lucky to just not fall behind inflation.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
if you were a lower step employee, then you got the purple shaft sans lube, as you did NOT see the additional 2% or 3% raise that you would normally have gotten with a step increase.

ROTLFMAO!!!

There have only been 2 step increases, Oct '17 and spring '18. How can you say that something that's only happened once (the extra 2-3 percent) is what you'd normally get?

59 Dano

By giving out a smaller than normal raise in April and skipping a normal raise in October. The company has found a way to save money in the long run by once again giving out a smaller pay raise

You don't make any sense. How can you say the raise is "smaller than normal" when it's exactly what it's supposed to be according to the published step plan?

59 Dano

Who says we don't. From the first example, we got a bump. Second year we got a bump. This year is the shell game.

The program didn't begin until 2016. The first raise within the program was around a year ago, and there was a bump. The second raise was earlier this year and there was no bump.

Don't know where you get this idea that you're supposed to get something beyond advancement to the next step.

MAKAVELI

The program didn't begin until 2016. The first raise within the program was around a year ago, and there was a bump. The second raise was earlier this year and there was no bump.

Don't know where you get this idea that you're supposed to get something beyond advancement to the next step.
The first year it was put in place everyone got a base 3% and then anyone not topped out was placed on the step they fell into. Rounding up. The next year top was given 3% and steps were adjusted up between 2-3%. This year was merely a PR move while saving them money in future wages while gaining $1.5 + billion in tax savings. They simply could have continued the same as the past two years and most would of been content. Instead they play this shell game and want everyone to believe they did something so great for us.

Last edited:

59 Dano

The first year it was put in place everyone got a base 3% and then anyone non top out was placed on the step they fell into. Rounding up. The next year top was given 3% and steps were adjusted up between 2-3%.

Exactly. There has been one bump after the program began -- 2017.

This year was merely a PR move while saving them money in future wages while gaining $1.5 + billion in tax savings. They simply could have continued the same as the past two years and most would of been content. Instead they play this shell game and want everyone to believe they did something so great for us.

You were promised a specific raise to a specific rate and you got it -- early. What makes you think a bump was in the plans for 2018?