19 year ups driver fired for flat tire in melville ny building

MANAGEMENT CLAIMS PROVEN DISHONESTY FOR NOT REPORTING AUTO ACCIDENT AFTER DRIVER REPORTED FLAT TIRE TO AUTO SHOP IMMEDIATELY AFTER NOTICING ,HAD IT CHANGED AT LUNCH AFTER AUTO SHOP INSTRUCTED ME TO DRIVE ON REAR PASSENGER SIDE FLAT TIRE FOR 3 ADDITIONAL HOURS, BY BARNWELL TIRE. CSI INVESTIGATION BY MANAGEMENT OVER 4 DAY PERIOD TURNED UP NO EVIDENCE OR PROOF OF TO SUPPORT THEIR CLAIM OF "IMPACT WITH STATIONERY OBJECT CAUSING DAMAGE TO TIRE AND RIM'. I WAS DISCHARGED ON WED. 3/23/11 , MY 6TH DISCHARGE IN PAST YEAR OF COMPLETELY HARASSING EMPLOYMENT. I HAVE FILED LABOR CHARGES WITH EEOC AND NLRB RESPECTFULLY. I WILL BE UNRELENTING IN MY PURSUIT OF JUSTICE TO RIGHT THESE WRONGS. PEOPLE I PROMISE YOU I WILL BE TAKING IT TO THE HOUSE, I'LL BE BACK!!!!!!!!!!!:biting:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
There is obviously a lot more to this story - 6th discharge in the last year ... it's a process.

Your perseverance is admirable but at some point it's just not worth it.

Good luck in life.

over9five

Staff member
I can think of several times coming back from vacation to find big gouges in my P12s rear tires from cover guys not used to the long car hitting curbs. Reported to sup, had tire changed before hitting the road, but they never tried to charge anyone with an accident.

bbsam

Staff member
Good answers. Would you consider either of those an accident? People hit curbs all the time, is it only an accident if the tire goes flat? Only if the rim is damaged?

Just asking opinions.
Could it be an accident if instructed to drive on it flat? Larger question is what idiot at UPS gave that order and why does he/she still have a job?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Could you hit a deep pot hole just right and bend the rim enough to deflate the tire? Would they consider this an accident?

Yes to both questions.

bbsam, if the flat tire is one of the rear dual tires and is on the inside you can continue to drive with no problem. It is when the flat is on the outside that you could have an issue.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I was backing into Walmart's dock a while back and heard a bang. Tire blew. Called and had a new one brought out. No questions asked.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

So is there any way to get a flat tire that you don't think is an accident?

Yes--running over an object in the road, whether it be a nail, screw, piece of glass, which then causes a flat tire, will generally not result in a charged accident.

Hitting a stationary object to the point where the tire goes flat and the rim is bent would be considered an accident.

As I said, if it costs the company money they will charge us. I have had several flat tires where I have paid to have them plugged and then kept going.