19 year ups driver fired for flat tire in melville ny building

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Apparently, now its made the list. If you fart and smell up the seat, its an "avoidable" accident, now.

Then I would have been canned long ago.:sick: A few years ago they tried charging an accident if you got stuck in snow and had to be towed. That stopped when Super Supe took out a load and got stuck and towed. I was stuck in a drift last Wed. for 2 hours. Had to call a hook.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
There is obviously a lot more to this story - 6th discharge in the last year ... it's a process.

Your perseverance is admirable but at some point it's just not worth it.
It's pretty hard to get fired. It's really hard to get fired 6 times. I think both sides would be best served if you moved on.
I would offer a second view to these posts.

I know of situations where a center manager comes on board and finds someone he thinks he can run off. That way, he has made a name for himself. More than 6 discharges in a year are not unusual in a case like this. And it is a real eye opener to the truth when the center manager moves on, and all of a sudden, this employee never gets even a warning letter again? So who was the cause of the warning letter.

Ive been suspended for "having body odor" on an August day with temps in the 100's. I dont guess she liked my aftershave. Some people even get as many as 8 warning letters in a week. But this type of BS happens. Been there. Not much you can do when the center manager has one on for you, except for stand up for yourself, and fight back. And yes, there are other things in life, but there are some that are willing to fight for what they want.

So while I am very tickled that there are so many UPS'ers that have never been the subject of this type of intense action, consider yourself blessed. But dont judge others who are.

That being said, I would be interested to see what the other discharges were for. IT would help to get a full picture of what actually is going on.

Big Babooba

Yes to both questions.

bbsam, if the flat tire is one of the rear dual tires and is on the inside you can continue to drive with no problem. It is when the flat is on the outside that you could have an issue.
I would be concerned about the inside tire casing coming apart and taking out a brake line.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
In reality , I am not sure if I believe this story but, a couple of issues here.

First, once the tire was deflated, the DRIVER makes the call to proceed or stop the truck. Article 18 of the national master agreement gives the driver the AUTHORITY to stop the car if "HE" feels the conditions of the car are unsafe for himself or to the public. The company CANNOT overide this decision.

Regardless, the act of terminating him for alledgedly striking something is NOT a charge that can stick. First of all, there are no established investigative tools the company has other than someones "ASSUMPTION". Unless the company can produce a witness, video or some kind of substantiation of "negligence" on the drivers part, there is no case. A bent rim doesnt not suffice as proof, as a tire being in a deflated condition will automatically cause the rim to fail and bend going up and down on driveways.

If the story holds as true, this is merely a case where this driver is in "BAD" terms with his center operator and the company will use the discharge process to cause him harm over and over knowing full well that he will be returned to duty. The intended action is to cause this driver financial loss and maybe change his attitude.

There's alot more to this drivers story than we have been told, and I am sure its littered with discipline.

He does have rights though, and it begins with article 18. If he protested continuing driving on the flat to the company, and the company insisted on his continuance, then ALL the responsibility for any subsequent damage falls onto the company.

Its that easy. A slam dunk in arbitration or even a local hearing.

There is no way the company can place blame on the driver for ANY damage after they made the call to authorize the continuance of the operation of the vehicle with a flat tire.

Article 18 is something every driver should know and understand.

Peace.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Big

I can tell you the brake lines are pretty well protected. But not so the wheel well hump. It comes apart like a tub of butter on a hot day.

I was told by automotive management to drive it in so they would not have a road call, and instructed to take the interstate, as it was far shorter than the other way. Speed limit on the interstate min is 45. AT 45 MPH, the tire will not stay together, and as it comes apart, it begins to beat the wheel well like a ball bat. Never got into the brakes.

Delivery management tried to suspend me for the damage, until automotive collaborated the instructions that were given.

d

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
i fart so much the smell is embedded in my seat, its a a puff of goodness everytime i sit down

cwb425

I thought you had to be 21 to even drive a ups truck D.O.T. standards atleast here in Alabama you do ! anyways 6 discharges in a year thats not very good man ! but NY might be deff.

first 3 discharges were for production, went to arbitration on first 1 and prevailed fulfilling 3 month agreement for new ojs and spor commitment, took 2 week suspension though to wipe out multiple frivolous warning letters ranging from no socks in summer, shirt unbuttoned too far, radio in cab, no belt, letter on dash, need i continue. Took 2 week suspension and agreement compliance in order to dismiss first discharge at time of completion of 3 month period ending in oct.'10 , have 2 pending production discharges taken off docket and satisfy all pending warning letters mentioned and suspensions pertaining to production case. Since keeping up my end of bargain and maintaining a 99% weekending production effectiveness rating, ups has resorted to more unscrupulous methods to rid themselves of grievance filing driver whom they never suspected would make it back from the ashes of arbitration. Since nov.'10 i have been discharged for minor tier 1 accdt.(prior 9 years safe driving), no call no show and using 2 of remaining 7 sick days while banished to midnight preload for same tier 1 accdt.(sup. On duty sunday night admitted no one in office to accept sick calls prior to start, finally got someone at 430 am to accept sick call, deemed no call no show?)1 infraction of telematics provided recording in travel(5 drivers listed same day no discipline, some have over 20 violations for same 2 month period), and the latest discharge in which district manager demanded my id or he would be notifying the police was for what he deemed was proven dishonesty for failure to report auto accident which actually was a reported flat tire, all protocol followed except fact i idiotically listened to on duty shop person an proceeded to deliver route for 3 hours until such time tire service changed tire and suits started 4 day csi investigation coming up with not one piece of evidence to support their claims except 20 pics of now infamous flat tire and minor damage to rim, possibly caused by road debris or pothole. Trust me fellow members i will be the first to say i am no angel, shortcuts were always my specialty and never was i disciplined before these discharges because management always looked the other way as long as you did them favors and got the job done! Local 804 has stood behind me all the way and i am very thankful for it, they have filed for arbitration on this latest discharge and i will be at the ready, having filed over 25 grievances and rebuttal letters to refute ups and document relentless campaign of oversupervision and harassment against a driver and proud local 804 member they never thought would make it . It's become a war out here and i would like to end w/quote from 1967 james hoffa speech,"live and let live, and those who try to destroy you make it your business to see that they don't, and that they too have problems" amen

log on later and you'll be in for a real hoot when i explain how i unraveled a poorly thought out caper by management to try and frame me for taking my diad home overnight and bringing it back next morning last week to no avail. I admit it is going to sound like some x-files stuff but w/ some nifty detective work and multiple info requests , i fully intend to prove with statements from fellow drivers that a supervisor conspired to actually bring diad past my house after work in order to secure a ups provided gps location document which may lead to a possible criminal investigation. You would think they would already be aware of my elevated moxy levels before attempting these latest hi-jinx, but no , lets try and frame this guy and screw up so he figures it out and we will have to backtrack to cover up an ill-fated conspiracy! Damm you defiant bastard if all else fails we will fall back on month old flat tire to walk me out after all i have been through! Not over my recently wrongfully terminated full of piss and vinegar way live body!!!!! Oh yeah anyone looking for some aspiring ups management entertainment log on to you tube and search videos for "hinton your so fine", he is a melville fulltime on car supervisor in my center. I will accept your thank you in advance, your welcome and rejoice

Last edited by a moderator:
hey everybody guess what i have more views than my supervisor's you tube video, thanks you from the guy who is going to provide you with some eye opening activities being committed by ups management to get rid of people who go against the grain and expose their behavior and tactics with grievances and calls to business code of conduct helpline. Where is scully and molder when you need them?