19 year ups driver fired for flat tire in melville ny building

804brown

first 3 discharges were for production, went to arbitration on first 1 and prevailed fulfilling 3 month agreement for new ojs and spor commitment, took 2 week suspension though to wipe out multiple frivolous warning letters ranging from no socks in summer, shirt unbuttoned too far, radio in cab, no belt, letter on dash, need i continue. Took 2 week suspension and agreement compliance in order to dismiss first discharge at time of completion of 3 month period ending in oct.'10 , have 2 pending production discharges taken off docket and satisfy all pending warning letters mentioned and suspensions pertaining to production case. Since keeping up my end of bargain and maintaining a 99% weekending production effectiveness rating, ups has resorted to more unscrupulous methods to rid themselves of grievance filing driver whom they never suspected would make it back from the ashes of arbitration. Since nov.'10 i have been discharged for minor tier 1 accdt.(prior 9 years safe driving), no call no show and using 2 of remaining 7 sick days while banished to midnight preload for same tier 1 accdt.(sup. On duty sunday night admitted no one in office to accept sick calls prior to start, finally got someone at 430 am to accept sick call, deemed no call no show?)1 infraction of telematics provided recording in travel(5 drivers listed same day no discipline, some have over 20 violations for same 2 month period), and the latest discharge in which district manager demanded my id or he would be notifying the police was for what he deemed was proven dishonesty for failure to report auto accident which actually was a reported flat tire, all protocol followed except fact i idiotically listened to on duty shop person an proceeded to deliver route for 3 hours until such time tire service changed tire and suits started 4 day csi investigation coming up with not one piece of evidence to support their claims except 20 pics of now infamous flat tire and minor damage to rim, possibly caused by road debris or pothole. Trust me fellow members i will be the first to say i am no angel, shortcuts were always my specialty and never was i disciplined before these discharges because management always looked the other way as long as you did them favors and got the job done! Local 804 has stood behind me all the way and i am very thankful for it, they have filed for arbitration on this latest discharge and i will be at the ready, having filed over 25 grievances and rebuttal letters to refute ups and document relentless campaign of oversupervision and harassment against a driver and proud local 804 member they never thought would make it . It's become a war out here and i would like to end w/quote from 1967 james hoffa speech,"live and let live, and those who try to destroy you make it your business to see that they don't, and that they too have problems" amen

CRASH, is that you??

UpsguyDGAF

Damn, I thought I had it bad. well, just follow the "Contract" rules and you should be ok. I would guess that if you cut corners now like the other guys, they will fire you , and it will stick. Document everything, everyday. If it comes down to you not getting your job back, Id sue or show the public the "REAL" Ups. Mabey contact the News, just a thought.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
first 3 discharges were for production, went to arbitration on first 1 and prevailed fulfilling 3 month agreement for new ojs and spor commitment, took 2 week suspension though to wipe out multiple frivolous warning letters ranging from no socks in summer, shirt unbuttoned too far, radio in cab, no belt, letter on dash, need i continue.

The whole shirt and radio thing I can understand; but seriously, a letter on the dash? Its a DOT rule, not UPS's, no packages in the cab. And even still, how much time does it really save you? 4 seconds? 6 at most?
That's worthy of a "C'mon man!" ala ESPN's Sunday Morning Countdown.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
log on later and you'll be in for a real hoot when i explain how i unraveled a poorly thought out caper by management to try and frame me for taking my diad home overnight and bringing it back next morning last week to no avail. I admit it is going to sound like some x-files stuff but w/ some nifty detective work and multiple info requests , i fully intend to prove with statements from fellow drivers that a supervisor conspired to actually bring diad past my house after work in order to secure a ups provided gps location document which may lead to a possible criminal investigation. You would think they would already be aware of my elevated moxy levels before attempting these latest hi-jinx, but no , lets try and frame this guy and screw up so he figures it out and we will have to backtrack to cover up an ill-fated conspiracy! Damm you defiant bastard if all else fails we will fall back on month old flat tire to walk me out after all i have been through! Not over my recently wrongfully terminated full of piss and vinegar way live body!!!!! Oh yeah anyone looking for some aspiring ups management entertainment log on to you tube and search videos for "hinton your so fine", he is a melville fulltime on car supervisor in my center. I will accept your thank you in advance, your welcome and rejoice

Paragraphs man paragraphs, I got a headache reading this. Hope you get you job back.

satellitedriver

I have had to change flat tires on route.
Those wheel rims are built extra heavy duty.
Every pkg car I have driven had a spare tire, jack and a 4way lug wrench.
It would have to be a helluva impact to bend a UPS rim, not just a simple pothole.

Cementups

Box Monkey
FYI, radios are allowed, they just have to be secured.

I have had to change flat tires on route.
Those wheel rims are built extra heavy duty.
Every pkg car I have driven had a spare tire, jack and a 4way lug wrench.
It would have to be a helluva impact to bend a UPS rim, not just a simple pothole.

None of the new PC's have spares in them for the driver to be able to replace it themselves. I haven't see a spare tire in a car since our old P5's were around. Some of the new Sprinter boxes have spares but other than that, nope.

CRASH501

first 3 discharges were for production, went to arbitration on first 1 and prevailed fulfilling 3 month agreement for new ojs and spor commitment, took 2 week suspension though to wipe out multiple frivolous warning letters ranging from no socks in summer, shirt unbuttoned too far, radio in cab, no belt, letter on dash, need i continue. Took 2 week suspension and agreement compliance in order to dismiss first discharge at time of completion of 3 month period ending in oct.'10 , have 2 pending production discharges taken off docket and satisfy all pending warning letters mentioned and suspensions pertaining to production case. Since keeping up my end of bargain and maintaining a 99% weekending production effectiveness rating, ups has resorted to more unscrupulous methods to rid themselves of grievance filing driver whom they never suspected would make it back from the ashes of arbitration. Since nov.'10 i have been discharged for minor tier 1 accdt.(prior 9 years safe driving), no call no show and using 2 of remaining 7 sick days while banished to midnight preload for same tier 1 accdt.(sup. On duty sunday night admitted no one in office to accept sick calls prior to start, finally got someone at 430 am to accept sick call, deemed no call no show?)1 infraction of telematics provided recording in travel(5 drivers listed same day no discipline, some have over 20 violations for same 2 month period), and the latest discharge in which district manager demanded my id or he would be notifying the police was for what he deemed was proven dishonesty for failure to report auto accident which actually was a reported flat tire, all protocol followed except fact i idiotically listened to on duty shop person an proceeded to deliver route for 3 hours until such time tire service changed tire and suits started 4 day csi investigation coming up with not one piece of evidence to support their claims except 20 pics of now infamous flat tire and minor damage to rim, possibly caused by road debris or pothole. Trust me fellow members i will be the first to say i am no angel, shortcuts were always my specialty and never was i disciplined before these discharges because management always looked the other way as long as you did them favors and got the job done! Local 804 has stood behind me all the way and i am very thankful for it, they have filed for arbitration on this latest discharge and i will be at the ready, having filed over 25 grievances and rebuttal letters to refute ups and document relentless campaign of oversupervision and harassment against a driver and proud local 804 member they never thought would make it . It's become a war out here and i would like to end w/quote from 1967 james hoffa speech,"live and let live, and those who try to destroy you make it your business to see that they don't, and that they too have problems" amen
I myself have recently dealt with sheisty management, and outright Bit**slapped them at arbitration , workers comp hearings , unemployment hearings and even an unemployment appeal by UPS , STAND YOUR GROUND, be strong and dont let them bully you ! dont think you need mine but I have a great lawyer for you if needed! his new specialty is rapidly becoming UPS cases!.
Keep Your Head Held High brother!

CRASH501

None of the new PC's have spares in them for the driver to be able to replace it themselves. I haven't see a spare tire in a car since our old P5's were around. Some of the new Sprinter boxes have spares but other than that, nope.

Changing a flat is NOT in my job description

satellitedriver

I have a P7 and my spare tire is is right behind the bulkhead.

thanks for the support, lawyered up after last weeks attempt to set me up for dishonesty, these guys have been throwing the kitchen sink at me, on-road observations multiple times a week, looking for anything to try to fluff up discipline case, granted no one is a robot and with 185 stops a day , under the heavy scrutiny of oversupervision , minor slip-ups like picking up diad to check next stop once and not grabbing a handrail, but grabbed door jam for 3-points of contact twice over the course of an hours on road observation by 2 managers should not be grounds for removing me from road and placing me on midnight preload shift for week and 1/2 . Like i said in last posts i'm no angel, but i'm not lex luther either. I have told all my friends lately i feel like i have 2 jobs, doing my job and trying to keep it. I cannot stress the point enough to anyone who has faced this kind of harassment and oversupervision, make sure you are filing grievances to document all occurences because if you are taken to arbitration , your grievances will hold a lot more weight against ups paper trails and house of cards. Going out on this tidbit, whats the chance my manager ,whom i have had all problems with, was transferred to another center on monday, 3 days after my bogus discharge , guess he wanted me off clock on his watch at any expense.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Changing a flat is NOT in my job description

None of our cars have spares any longer, but the old P-5's and P-6's used to have them. I always felt the same way, if the company wanted me to change a tire they would first have to put it in writing that I wouldnt be charged for an accident or damage if the tire came off or if I overtightened a lugnut and stripped the threads off.

As far as the original post goes.....I think the moral of the story is that if you get a flat tire, pull over and dont drive on it no matter what management tells you to do. They can afford to send a tire truck out to wherever you are parked, and the longer they argue about it the longer they are going to pay you $45 an hour on OT to sit there and do nothing. Eventually, they will see the wisdom of paying to have it repaired.

fyi i came to work with my ups approved socks, went swimming at lunch at my house in august , went back after lunch and threw sweaty socks in back of truck, did not think there was gonna be a sock check that required 3 managers as witnesses for a warning letter for out of uniform. Ok

CRASH501

thanks for the support, lawyered up after last weeks attempt to set me up for dishonesty, these guys have been throwing the kitchen sink at me, on-road observations multiple times a week, looking for anything to try to fluff up discipline case, granted no one is a robot and with 185 stops a day , under the heavy scrutiny of oversupervision , minor slip-ups like picking up diad to check next stop once and not grabbing a handrail, but grabbed door jam for 3-points of contact twice over the course of an hours on road observation by 2 managers should not be grounds for removing me from road and placing me on midnight preload shift for week and 1/2 . Like i said in last posts i'm no angel, but i'm not lex luther either. I have told all my friends lately i feel like i have 2 jobs, doing my job and trying to keep it. I cannot stress the point enough to anyone who has faced this kind of harassment and oversupervision, make sure you are filing grievances to document all occurences because if you are taken to arbitration , your grievances will hold a lot more weight against ups paper trails and house of cards. Going out on this tidbit, whats the chance my manager ,whom i have had all problems with, was transferred to another center on monday, 3 days after my bogus discharge , guess he wanted me off clock on his watch at any expense.

For your sake im hoping that lawyer is not Stew G.

menotyou

bella amicizia
log on later and you'll be in for a real hoot when i explain how i unraveled a poorly thought out caper by management to try and frame me for taking my diad home overnight and bringing it back next morning last week to no avail. I admit it is going to sound like some x-files stuff but w/ some nifty detective work and multiple info requests , i fully intend to prove with statements from fellow drivers that a supervisor conspired to actually bring diad past my house after work in order to secure a ups provided gps location document which may lead to a possible criminal investigation. You would think they would already be aware of my elevated moxy levels before attempting these latest hi-jinx, but no , lets try and frame this guy and screw up so he figures it out and we will have to backtrack to cover up an ill-fated conspiracy! Damm you defiant bastard if all else fails we will fall back on month old flat tire to walk me out after all i have been through! Not over my recently wrongfully terminated full of piss and vinegar way live body!!!!! Oh yeah anyone looking for some aspiring ups management entertainment log on to you tube and search videos for "hinton your so fine", he is a melville fulltime on car supervisor in my center. I will accept your thank you in advance, your welcome and rejoice

I tried searching you tube. Where is it, again!?