This Section is not intended
to give the Company the right to force seniority package car driv-
ers to work on a weekend unless permitted by the applicable Sup-
plement, Rider or Addendum
"

Supplement regarding 6th/7th punch, "
Employees may refuse this
work when called."
Although the next sentence after the highlighted one is completely contrary to the highlighted one, let's see what they do when they need people, and who is willing to get fired to act as a guinea pig at an arbitration.

Art 26 Sec 5
Section 5. DOT Hours of Service The Company shall not change the DOT sixty (60) hours in seven (7) days to the seventy (70) hours in eight (8) days rule for package drivers except at Peak. With prior approval of the Company’s President of Labor Relations and the Teamster’s Package Division Director, the DOT standard may also be changed if required due to Acts of God or emergencies creating service disruptions. When the Company changes the sixty (60) hour rule it shall first solicit volunteers to work in excess of sixty (60) hours from all package car - 84 - Article 26 drivers in the center. If sufficient volunteers cannot be obtained to cover the over sixty (60) work hours, the Company will first force seasonal package car drivers, non-seniority package car drivers, part-time cover driver classifications and, then Article 22.4(b) drivers. Seniority package car drivers will only be forced after exhausting the seasonal, non-probationary drivers force process, part-time cover driver classifications and Article 22.4(b) drivers. No regular package car driver red circled under Article 22.4(b) will be forced to work on a day off and exceed sixty (60) hours unless he has a full eight (8) hours of duty available. Any regular or Article 22.4 package car driver who volunteers or is forced to work over sixty (60) hours in a week pursuant to this paragraph will be compensated at double-time for those hours. This paragraph supersedes any provision in any Supplement, Rider or Addendum which addresses this subject. This Section is not intended to give the Company the right to force seniority package car drivers to work on a weekend unless permitted by the applicable Supplement, Rider or Addendum.

WTFm8

"
This Section is not intended
to give the Company the right to force seniority package car driv-
ers to work on a weekend unless permitted by the applicable Sup-
plement, Rider or Addendum
"

Supplement regarding 6th/7th punch, "
Employees may refuse this
work when called."

Except when they need more air drivers under Art40.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Although the next sentence after the highlighted one is completely contrary to the highlighted one, let's see what they do when they need people, and who is willing to get fired to act as a guinea pig at an arbitration.

Art 26 Sec 5
Section 5. DOT Hours of Service The Company shall not change the DOT sixty (60) hours in seven (7) days to the seventy (70) hours in eight (8) days rule for package drivers except at Peak. With prior approval of the Company’s President of Labor Relations and the Teamster’s Package Division Director, the DOT standard may also be changed if required due to Acts of God or emergencies creating service disruptions. When the Company changes the sixty (60) hour rule it shall first solicit volunteers to work in excess of sixty (60) hours from all package car - 84 - Article 26 drivers in the center. If sufficient volunteers cannot be obtained to cover the over sixty (60) work hours, the Company will first force seasonal package car drivers, non-seniority package car drivers, part-time cover driver classifications and, then Article 22.4(b) drivers. Seniority package car drivers will only be forced after exhausting the seasonal, non-probationary drivers force process, part-time cover driver classifications and Article 22.4(b) drivers. No regular package car driver red circled under Article 22.4(b) will be forced to work on a day off and exceed sixty (60) hours unless he has a full eight (8) hours of duty available. Any regular or Article 22.4 package car driver who volunteers or is forced to work over sixty (60) hours in a week pursuant to this paragraph will be compensated at double-time for those hours. This paragraph supersedes any provision in any Supplement, Rider or Addendum which addresses this subject. This Section is not intended to give the Company the right to force seniority package car drivers to work on a weekend unless permitted by the applicable Supplement, Rider or Addendum.

The paragraph is only talking about forcing to work over 60 hours and getting double time for doing so, not forcing to work weekends. So no contradiction.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Yeah 9.5 till jan 15th is new this contract.

The western region is Oct 1st to Dec 31st but our rider is Oct 15 to Jan 15th for helpers. That's why I thought you could be asking about helpers.
I mean there was enough bad I think I just forgot about that. But I do remember our president telling us his top priority a few contracts back was getting 9.5 until thanksgiving for the central since they can use helpers and seasonals all of November. Now a
Contract or 2 longer and we’ve given them an extra 2 weeks of OT abuse. Lol

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
The paragraph is only talking about forcing to work over 60 hours and getting double time for doing so, not forcing to work weekends. So no contradiction.

Could be but the current DOT hours of service would only allow 60 in 5 days so I don't think so. They have already started talking about sat & sun.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Could be but the current DOT hours of service would only allow 60 in 5 days so I don't think so. They have already started talking about sat & sun.

It's 60 in 7 days. This article sets the limits for how when and why the company can use the 70 hour rule and force drivers to work more than 60. The disclaimer at the end about weekends does not contradict the rest of the article.

Justaloader

I have to wonder if the "normal" procedure will still continue. What I mean by that - at my hub, us twilight guys.....we work from 6:15 to 10:00, and then they send us home. At that point, the sups take over and finish loading the trailers (clearing the belts), handling / loading irregs, etc. I'm still relatively new (started here in August) - so, can someone enlighten me as to why they are so determined to cut the loaders at 10 pm? Is overtime during non-peak season a taboo or something? To add to that - is this "routine" something to point out to the shop steward, in the event he isn't aware it's occurring? (Not sure how he wouldn't know about it....all he has to do is take a walk through the building after 10pm and see all of the folks in the black ups shirts loading trailers, etc).

Last edited: