22.4 language

J2008

As a 22.4 I’ve been moved inside. Had an issue with getting my 8 hours so I pulled out the handbook and found language of getting 8 consecutive hours. Showed my sup and he said you’re correct you can work your 8. Two weeks go by and he came up to me and said you’re not entitled to 8 I have to send you home and you can come back for local sort. I really just want to know what this language actually means. What am I reading wrong about this?

All 22.4 combination drivers shall be guaranteed
eight (8) consecutive hours of straight time pay per
day, if reporting as scheduled. All 22.4 combination
drivers shall work a five (5) consecutive day
schedule of Tuesday through Saturday or
Wednesday through Sunday. This paragraph shall
supersede any Supplement, Rider, or Addendum on
the same subject.”

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
@J2008 : Did management say you were being
  1. "moved inside as a 22.4", or
  2. "laid off", and given the option to work inside as a "laid off full-time employee"?

charm299

As a 22.4 I’ve been moved inside. Had an issue with getting my 8 hours so I pulled out the handbook and found language of getting 8 consecutive hours. Showed my sup and he said you’re correct you can work your 8. Two weeks go by and he came up to me and said you’re not entitled to 8 I have to send you home and you can come back for local sort. I really just want to know what this language actually means. What am I reading wrong about this?

the same subject.”
File. A. Grievance.

HavenoEDD

the same subject.”
Common mistake because it’s not the same classification (subject).
You’re reading the master based on the 22.4 classification that doesn’t hold water when you are laid off.
Check your supplemental contract and you’ll see something regarding day to day layoff.

You can still get your straight 8 if your management team doesn’t suck and they talk to the preload to find you things to do.

Nah

the same subject.”
Seems like you're reading it right. File a grievance.

J2008

@J2008 : Did management say you were being
  1. "moved inside as a 22.4", or
  2. "laid off", and given the option to work inside as a "laid off full-time employee"?
They told us after peak that we’d be moved inside but also tell us weekly what we want to do, take the lay off or work inside.

542thruNthru

6. When the new job includes inside work, the Company shall be entitled to establish up to a one-and-one-half hour (1.5) gap, to include the meal period, between jobs in a workday. All other working conditions not set forth herein, including, but not limited to, the work available for combination with driving, bidding procedures, holidays, vacations, etc. shall be set forth in the Supplements, Riders and Addenda.

HavenoEDD

6. When the new job includes inside work, the Company shall be entitled to establish up to a one-and-one-half hour (1.5) gap, to include the meal period, between jobs in a workday. All other working conditions not set forth herein, including, but not limited to, the work available for combination with driving, bidding procedures, holidays, vacations, etc. shall be set forth in the Supplements, Riders and Addenda.
The 22.4 language doesn’t apply to layoffs. There’s specific lay off language in many supplements that unfortunately makes this a non factor.

Staydryitsraining

22.4s who aren't driving aren't laid off. Your classification states driver and inside work. You can either work inside the building and possibly get 8 straight hours if you can come up with what work there is to be done or you can double shift inside the warehouse to get your 8.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I agree. But everyone yells at me when I say that.
Sure but the company it seems is declaring folks laid off specifically to create an on-call status and avoid FT provisions rather than that work simply disappearing to low volume like they would want you to think. They have done a sample platter of EVERYTHING here. Sups working Monday, Air drivers and helpers tuesday, "voluntary extra work" wednesday, bringing in drivers from another center Thursday, Forced recall on friday with like 2 hours notice... It's all over the map and less of a layoff than a giant middle finger to most of your FT status and scheduling provisions.

All of it probably done to eek out one or two more layoffs than they really needed if you ask me.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

Sure but the company it seems is declaring folks laid off specifically to create an on-call status and avoid FT provisions rather than that work simply disappearing to low volume like they would want you to think. They have done a sample platter of EVERYTHING here. Sups working Monday, Air drivers and helpers tuesday, "voluntary extra work" wednesday, bringing in drivers from another center Thursday, Forced recall on friday with like 2 hours notice... It's all over the map and less of a layoff than a giant middle finger to most of your FT status and scheduling provisions.

All of it probably done to eek out one or two more layoffs than they really needed if you ask me.
It's definitely something a local union needs to keep an eye on. Like I said before, we had the company trying to force drivers on layoff T-friend and then say they had to drive Saturdays because they are 22.4s.

It's a wacky year and it's only going to get worse before it gets better in my opinion.

charm299

It's definitely something a local union needs to keep an eye on. Like I said before, we had the company trying to force drivers on layoff T-friend and then say they had to drive Saturdays because they are 22.4s.

It's a wacky year and it's only going to get worse before it gets better in my opinion.
They did that at my center

jayyy9000

Us 22.4's arent just drivers. we're combo drivers. we do inside work and driver work. we were so accustomed to driving that most 22.4's forget that part of the language. so file we're guaranteed 8 hours of work 40 hours a week. FILE

Us 22.4's arent just drivers. we're combo drivers. we do inside work and driver work. we were so accustomed to driving that most 22.4's forget that part of the language. so file we're guaranteed 8 hours of work 40 hours a week. FILE
From what I have seen and heard, 22.4 would rather go on unemployment then work inside.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
From what I have seen and heard, 22.4 would rather go on unemployment then work inside.
Must be different where you are at, because we are all working inside. Bit of drama with the 22.3s who are going home every day "If I can get every 22.4 in your center to work 8 hours then you better be protecting your work too!" Our center manager loves it as it's a way to poke the bear without risk to their job but the rest of the company is pissed and swarming the center like flies.

Must be different where you are at, because we are all working inside. Bit of drama with the 22.3s who are going home every day "If I can get every 22.4 in your center to work 8 hours then you better be protecting your work too!" Our center manager loves it as it's a way to poke the bear without risk to their job but the rest of the company is pissed and swarming the center like flies.
I think we have enough 300 series taking voluntary time off for most of the 22.4 to keep working. Two 300 are going into Feeders and another has a DUI.