22.4s laid off throughout the week no longer allowed to drive Saturday

PPH_over_9000

Anybody else dealing with this? Volume's low and negotiations are ongoing, so 22.4s have been laid off Tues-Fri for the most part. There are a few that managed to get some inside work-- the rest are just assed out except for Saturdays, which they've all been working.

New mandate just hit that says anybody laid off M-friend is also laid off on Saturday and can't work, which means forcing almost two dozen of us in for a 6th punch.

Doesn't bother me too much, but it's definitely irritating. It's just best for me to keep in mind that the company is working on some back-assward logic that makes them think it's in their best interest to have a disgruntled workforce while these contract negotiations go on.

Thoughts, opinions, questions?

JustDeliverIt

Had a bunch of 22.4’s working inside all week and driving Saturday here also. They pulled a bunch of them back on the road this week, not sure if it’s related to this or not but haven’t heard anything about it.

And it’s not like we’re heavy on vacations, might have 5 people off next week.

Jimmyg123

Anybody else dealing with this? Volume's low and negotiations are ongoing, so 22.4s have been laid off Tues-Fri for the most part. There are a few that managed to get some inside work-- the rest are just assed out except for Saturdays, which they've all been working.

New mandate just hit that says anybody laid off M-friend is also laid off on Saturday and can't work, which means forcing almost two dozen of us in for a 6th punch.

Doesn't bother me too much, but it's definitely irritating. It's just best for me to keep in mind that the company is working on some back-assward logic that makes them think it's in their best interest to have a disgruntled workforce while these contract negotiations go on.

bad faith negotiations. i'm 22.4 that has worked inside most of my 3 years because i like the schedule and the work. since silly stuff started regarding 22.4s i have had schedule changed, hours changed and been denied work. currently denied as retaliation for being called in to work on off day monday - because there was a need. somehow this is all my fault for being hired on as a 22.4??

bumped

Thats the Total Service Plan in action.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun
Here they just don’t use cover drivers and all of us are working 12+ a day.. 8hrs they said they won’t honor so just file and same thing with 9.5.. I went from having pretty good weeks to having to file 9.5 every week lol.. they don’t care they pay it willingly.. good times

PPH_over_9000

Thats the Total Service Plan in action.

I knew I was screwed the second I lost my route in February and got pushed down to cover. Went from 9hr days on the dot to 11-13 depending on the route. I'm lucky if I'm home before 6pm on any given day, but those days do exist. Give me a suburb split and I'm code 05 and home at 5. Can't lie, though, I live close and just go home for my lunch (dinner) break after I bring the truck back. Ever since I started doing that I can't scratch a rural or heavy pickup route to save my life (I had a bad habit of skipping lunch early on and absolutely crushing routes just so I could have a little more personal time, but one day after being pulled into the office on some ridiculousness I told myself no more), but heavy resi suburbs? Home by 5 every time.

I really wished seniority was all about company time, man, I'd be so far up that list....

[disclaimer: I'm currently a little drunk and realized that I just went on and on about nothing. My bad y'all, don't mind me...]

Last edited:

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
Our volume was exceptionally heavy this week.
We had 3-4 22.4s working preload. They drive on saturdays.
But there are multiple 0300s that are filing being forced in on their day off.
The permanent lay off they tried at the beginning of the year didn’t last because of air drivers shuttling and a grievance getting filed for not allowing 22.4s to option to their full 8 with the option of shuttling and transferring misloads and sweeping heavy pickup volume.

R1wonder

They tried this in my hub, one week, then they brought them back . It didn’t work. It’s may, vacations will start heavy , days off , and ppl are gonna start calling in . This won’t last

R1wonder

also you’re either laid off or you’re not . Sayin they can work sat to begin with is bull :censored2:. File unemployment and tell them they can shove Saturday up their ass

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

So, how are 22.4’s layed off? They are specifically guaranteed 8 & 40 per week in five consecutive days. It’s literally the only good part about article 22.4. They work in the building Tuesday to Friday then drive Saturday. Not really rocket science.

PPH_over_9000

So, how are 22.4’s layed off? They are specifically guaranteed 8 & 40 per week in five consecutive days. It’s literally the only good part about article 22.4. They work in the building Tuesday to Friday then drive Saturday. Not really rocket science.

They're not working, dude. A few of the higher seniority guys were able to get hours inside, but like 12-15 people are just not being scheduled now. They were calling a few in as covers for the past few months, but that's been stopped now.
Word is if they're laid off Tuesday-Friday then they're also laid off Saturday. I'm not sure how/if that applies to the guys that are still getting inside hours though.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
also you’re either laid off or you’re not . Sayin they can work sat to begin with is bull :censored2:. File unemployment and tell them they can shove Saturday up their ass
Unfortunately this is a game both the company and the union want to play. It's the kind of thing a lawyer would want: vagueness, not a yes or no answer. Although I am sure my and other people's grievances have pointed out that in order to adhere to scheduling and layoff languages, it is implied that layoffs are week-to-week. Not some day-to-day nonsense.

As for volume, it is May now, inside work might not stop completely but we already got our "oh crap" moment with people ordering air conditioners on the first mildly warm day.

Jimmyg123

current management came to power during covid, while "essential workers", and the situation made ups record profits - so executives were rewarded although they did nothing other than get hired during exceptional circumstances. now we are returning to normal, and the "rock stars" who were hired when everything was rocking, are scrambling to figure out how to manage a company. ups does not make things - only has - people, vehicles, buildings. vehicles and buildings are fixed - short term - so you manipulate people. ups's bad management can make tons of profit if they just don't pay their people. works short term, let's see how next quarter works out. you can only manage for the short term for so long.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
They're not working, dude. A few of the higher seniority guys were able to get hours inside, but like 12-15 people are just not being scheduled now. They were calling a few in as covers for the past few months, but that's been stopped now.
Word is if they're laid off Tuesday-Friday then they're also laid off Saturday. I'm not sure how/if that applies to the guys that are still getting inside hours though.
They need to demand hours and work inside Tuesday-Friday then drive Saturday. The scenario you’re painting is cowardice if RPCDs are being forced in Saturday while 22.4 are layed off. Again, this isn’t that hard.

BlackCat

They brought back all of the 22.4 drivers from layoff here. I do not think it was due to volume, but the fact that RPCD were refusing to work Saturday.

Tons of verbal warnings and write ups that never went anywhere.

MECH-II

🧔‍♂️✊
STRIKE STRIKE STRIKE!!!

lololol UPS thinks they’ll replace us instantly when we strike , they can’t even handle a few call offs 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
I worked more hours last week than I did it at peak

…we aren’t “light”

…..they’re playing games again
The volume at our center has tanked. Combine that with a new Amazon center an hour away and a very small amount of vacations and management is begging drivers for paid or unpaid days/weeks off. That'll change in a few weeks once vacations start to hit. We have some old timers with fat savings and 401k's that have taken 1 or 2 weeks off UNpaid.

The volume at our center has tanked. Combine that with a new Amazon center an hour away and a very small amount of vacations and management is begging drivers for paid or unpaid days/weeks off. That'll change in a few weeks once vacations start to hit. We have some old timers with fat savings and 401k's that have taken 1 or 2 weeks off UNpaid.
Well they are not letting anybody take any unpaid days off here

They want to keep the lower guys laid off so they do not have to pay the health care and pension benefits

Some of the guys that like to take good days are really jacked off about this