22.4s laid off throughout the week no longer allowed to drive Saturday

MECH-II

🧔‍♂️✊
Well they are not letting anybody take any unpaid days off here

They want to keep the lower guys laid off so they do not have to pay the health care and pension benefits

Some of the guys that like to take good days are really jacked off about this
LOTTA BS GOING ON RIGHT NOW

GLAD WE HAVE LEGENDARY RPCDS LIKE YOU TO HELP US YOUNG GUYS WITH INFORMATION
✊🧔‍♂️

PPH_over_9000

The company is playing games right now

But I don't think they realize they are pissing more people off

I honestly think that's the intent. This is all speculation but I think corporate is trying to divide the workforce, creating disgruntled workers that are so overworked and stressed out that they get tunnel vision and only focus on themselves and their already limited personal time.

Just my $0.02.

I honestly think that's the intent. This is all speculation but I think corporate is trying to divide the workforce, creating disgruntled workers that are so overworked and stressed out that they get tunnel vision and only focus on themselves and their already limited personal time.

Just my $0.02.
If you lay 10% of the driver's off and I'll have to make health Care insurance payments for pension payments that's a lot of money

This is only the beginning

FozziesDeliveries

...Some of the guys that like to take good days are really JACKED OFF about this

A8oXNk.gif

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Anybody else dealing with this? Volume's low and negotiations are ongoing, so 22.4s have been laid off Tues-Fri for the most part. There are a few that managed to get some inside work-- the rest are just assed out except for Saturdays, which they've all been working.

New mandate just hit that says anybody laid off M-friend is also laid off on Saturday and can't work, which means forcing almost two dozen of us in for a 6th punch.

Doesn't bother me too much, but it's definitely irritating. It's just best for me to keep in mind that the company is working on some back-assward logic that makes them think it's in their best interest to have a disgruntled workforce while these contract negotiations go on.

Thoughts, opinions, questions?
Hope your union local is eliminating forced 6th punch in the upcoming contract. Cannot do it in my local.

GodlikeRage

New mandate just hit that says anybody laid off M-friend is also laid off on Saturday and can't work, which means forcing almost two dozen of us in for a 6th punch.
I don't understand what you mean by this ^

As a 22.4, you're in a combination position, therefore you cannot be considered laid off. The company has used you guys to drive for virtually the entire length of the contract and now the time has come to do inside work that your job also includes. The main issue going on right now in many hubs is doing split shifts. You may be instructed to report to Preload, go home, and then come back a few hours later for Local Sort to get your hours. This instruction goes against the National Master contract because you're guaranteed 8 consecutive hours when reporting as scheduled and the company may only establish up to a 1.5 hour gap in between work shifts in a workday.

Every 22.4 is entitled to their guarantee in the manner in which the contract states. The Company may acknowledge 8 hour consecutive shifts are not possible in every hub but this is the same contract the same Company supposedly reviewed thoroughly after all its negotiations, concessions, and meetings with the same union finalized, agreed to and signed for ratification. UPS was too blinded by the idea that we were only seen as a cheaper version of a maxed out RPCD, drivers who performed the same exact job for $20 less an hour. UPS must be held accountable for the terms of the contract.

Again, for you to be considered laid off 2 things need to happen, which neither of them is currently possible. 1. Every part timer is laid off before you, every single one, this includes PT employees not directly linked to the actual sort operation like clerk, hazmat, etc as the contract doesn't specify in detail as to what "inside work" is to be performed, only inside work in a general sense. 2. A change in job description which can only be negotiated in the next contract.

File a grievance for all violations of the contract.

PPH_over_9000

I don't understand what you mean by this ^

As a 22.4, you're in a combination position, therefore you cannot be considered laid off. The company has used you guys to drive for virtually the entire length of the contract and now the time has come to do inside work that your job also includes. The main issue going on right now in many hubs is doing split shifts. You may be instructed to report to Preload, go home, and then come back a few hours later for Local Sort to get your hours. This instruction goes against the National Master contract because you're guaranteed 8 consecutive hours when reporting as scheduled and the company may only establish up to a 1.5 hour gap in between work shifts in a workday.

Every 22.4 is entitled to their guarantee in the manner in which the contract states. The Company may acknowledge 8 hour consecutive shifts are not possible in every hub but this is the same contract the same Company supposedly reviewed thoroughly after all its negotiations, concessions, and meetings with the same union finalized, agreed to and signed for ratification. UPS was too blinded by the idea that we were only seen as a cheaper version of a maxed out RPCD, drivers who performed the same exact job for $20 less an hour. UPS must be held accountable for the terms of the contract.

Again, for you to be considered laid off 2 things need to happen, which neither of them is currently possible. 1. Every part timer is laid off before you, every single one, this includes PT employees not directly linked to the actual sort operation like clerk, hazmat, etc as the contract doesn't specify in detail as to what "inside work" is to be performed, only inside work in a general sense. 2. A change in job description which can only be negotiated in the next contract.

File a grievance for all violations of the contract.
So I'm not a 22.4, just effected by this in that I'm being forced to report for Saturdays.
From what I see throughout the week, though, no 22.4s have been driving since the day I posted that. My center has about twenty-one 22.4s in total. I know for a fact four of them have been working inside every day for the past two months. The rest have been on indeterminate (my word for it) lay-offs, where they choose not to work inside and instead just take on any driving duties when the company calls them up.

That said, months ago when the word hit that 22.4s were being laid off they were told at PCM that only 5 with the highest seniority that wanted to could work inside-- the rest would be laid off except for Saturdays.

Now we just recently heard that nuh uh, no more of that-- if they're laid of throughout the week then they're exempt from driving Saturday.

Hope that helps make a little more sense of it all, but if y'all got questions I'm friggin' here, dawgs. Not sure how much Union Spirit I can dredge up amongst my fellow downtrodden, though, but I'll try to get folks a little active. Can't lie, though, it's mostly out of selfishness... I mean, I really like my days off.

[EDIT: I'm also starting to think that some of the confusion might be due to my local management calling these people laid off when that's not really the correct term for it but I can't really call that one because I just don't know what I don't know, if that makes any sense.]

Last edited:

Ghost in the Darkness

I load my truck but thats because it makes more sense to start the preload late and have the drivers come in a load the walls of boxes stacked up. Then start the drivers later because we have too much a.m. time. My kids could run this thing better.