22.4s laid off throughout the week no longer allowed to drive Saturday

I load my truck but thats because it makes more sense to start the preload late and have the drivers come in a load the walls of boxes stacked up. Then start the drivers later because we have too much a.m. time. My kids could run this thing better.
For sure, cut 2 preloaders 2 hours early so that 30 drivers can spend 10 minutes loading their trucks before leaving. Unreal.

GodlikeRage

So I'm not a 22.4, just effected by this in that I'm being forced to report for Saturdays.
From what I see throughout the week, though, no 22.4s have been driving since the day I posted that. My center has about twenty-one 22.4s in total. I know for a fact four of them have been working inside every day for the past two months. The rest have been on indeterminate (my word for it) lay-offs, where they choose not to work inside and instead just take on any driving duties when the company calls them up.

That said, months ago when the word hit that 22.4s were being laid off they were told at PCM that only 5 with the highest seniority that wanted to could work inside-- the rest would be laid off except for Saturdays.

Now we just recently heard that nuh uh, no more of that-- if they're laid of throughout the week then they're exempt from driving Saturday.

Hope that helps make a little more sense of it all, but if y'all got questions I'm friggin' here, dawgs. Not sure how much Union Spirit I can dredge up amongst my fellow downtrodden, though, but I'll try to get folks a little active. Can't lie, though, it's mostly out of selfishness... I mean, I really like my days off.

[EDIT: I'm also starting to think that some of the confusion might be due to my local management calling these people laid off when that's not really the correct term for it but I can't really call that one because I just don't know what I don't know, if that makes any sense.]

So you're a RPCD? As a RPCD, you do not have to report to work on Saturday especially if 22.4's are sitting at home lol.. File a grievance on seniority or just not show up and see how quick 22.4's report to work on Saturday. They can be fired for not showing up, it's their scheduled workday, not yours.

Every 22.4 should be reporting to work inside whenever they are not driving since they work at the same rate. If an RPCD gets laid off then they are laid off and go home because their primary job is package delivery only. They can accept the lay off or work inside (Their pay may get reduced after one week though in my hub). No 22.4 can drive if an RPCD is on lay off. If you don't work, you don't get contribution towards your pension/retirement as I've been told. There is no correct term because management telling 22.4's they are "laid off" is 100% dishonesty and as a 22.4 full time employee they still have a right to work all week and should report to work.

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
I knew I was screwed the second I lost my route in February and got pushed down to cover. Went from 9hr days on the dot to 11-13 depending on the route. I'm lucky if I'm home before 6pm on any given day, but those days do exist. Give me a suburb split and I'm code 05 and home at 5. Can't lie, though, I live close and just go home for my lunch (dinner) break after I bring the truck back. Ever since I started doing that I can't scratch a rural or heavy pickup route to save my life (I had a bad habit of skipping lunch early on and absolutely crushing routes just so I could have a little more personal time, but one day after being pulled into the office on some ridiculousness I told myself no more), but heavy resi suburbs? Home by 5 every time.

I really wished seniority was all about company time, man, I'd be so far up that list....

[disclaimer: I'm currently a little drunk and realized that I just went on and on about nothing. My bad y'all, don't mind me...]
Short version: “I’m a runner”

kforte36

STRIKE STRIKE STRIKE!!!

lololol UPS thinks they’ll replace us instantly when we strike , they can’t even handle a few call offs 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
I agree. They have absolutely no chance of replacing all the drivers after a strike. My center in Illinois has to rely on rpcds volunteering to come in on Saturdays to cover all the routes. They always make the exuse of being dispatched with hundreds of packages more than planned. Our Center manager told our supervisors the other day that there are supposedly going to be weeks where all of them will be doing routes due to all the vacations and 39s. None of the on roads in my building have less than one year of driving experience as well.

PPH_over_9000

Short version: “I’m a runner”
lolllllllll I don't think so but hey, you would know better than me. There's a reason I'm typically one of the last 5 people on the clock at my center, and it's not because I'm jogging off stops or speeding.

My package selection time is dope and when you couple that with neighborhoods of townhouses where the front door is never more than 15ft from the road I find that I can consistently come in under. Story changes if I don't sort my truck throughout the day and have to search a pile of junk at every stop, though.

[ETA: Just want to say that the running comments actually bug me a little bit (and that may show in the tone of my post, my apologies for that.) When I started I developed a lot of bad habits that I've been doing my damndest to break. I was a breakskipper at best, never a runner... but either way, after my last bout with heat exhaustion that sent me to the emergency room I've been extremely cognizant of how hard I'm pushing myself and setting a pace that will last me well into middle age. I know you were probably just :censored2:in' around with me but hey, this sort of stuck with me after I posted and I wanted to address it.]

Last edited:

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
lolllllllll I don't think so but hey, you would know better than me. There's a reason I'm typically one of the last 5 people on the clock at my center, and it's not because I'm jogging off stops or speeding.

My package selection time is dope and when you couple that with neighborhoods of townhouses where the front door is never more than 15ft from the road I find that I can consistently come in under. Story changes if I don't sort my truck throughout the day and have to search a pile of junk at every stop, though.

[ETA: Just want to say that the running comments actually bug me a little bit (and that may show in the tone of my post, my apologies for that.) When I started I developed a lot of bad habits that I've been doing my damndest to break. I was a breakskipper at best, never a runner... but either way, after my last bout with heat exhaustion that sent me to the emergency room I've been extremely cognizant of how hard I'm pushing myself and setting a pace that will last me well into middle age. I know you were probably just :censored2:in' around with me but hey, this sort of stuck with me after I posted and I wanted to address it.]
IMG_4371.gif

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I'd be ok with preload if the hin dispatch for a nearly perfect grid with few busy streets did not look like a kid scribbled with crayon everywhere. then doing the same thing for the busy street. Can't quite turn my brain off like I am supposed to.

At this point we should just go back to drivers loading their own cars.

kforte36

I agree. They have absolutely no chance of replacing all the drivers after a strike. My center in Illinois has to rely on rpcds volunteering to come in on Saturdays to cover all the routes. They always make the exuse of being dispatched with hundreds of packages more than planned. Our Center manager told our supervisors the other day that there are supposedly going to be weeks where all of them will be doing routes due to all the vacations and 39s. None of the on roads in my building have less than one year of driving experience as well.
None have more than one year of driving experience *