25 Year Milestone?

rod

Retired 22 years
My old center got an "Atta boy " award. They hung it up in the receiving counter room until somebody turned it around so the "Aw :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2:" side was showing. Then it disappeared:wink2:

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
harley your choice what you do with it. But don't you think its like throwing your paycheck in the garbage? You earned the award you should cash it in.

I understand what you are saying Tie. I do it to make a statement to the company that I think their safety award program is a joke. It just doesn't mean anything anymore.

We had a new driver that backed into the same building twice in their first 30 days. Not only did they keep their job but they received a 1 year safe driving award. I have seen drivers try to hide accidents of hitting mailboxes, pulling down wires etc just to keep their safe driving awards intact. The last time I broke a mirror on a tree limb I reported it to my center manager. He informed me that I did it while I was adjusting it that morning.

Why should one person get a safe driving award for covering up an accident when another person gets charged for the same thing when he is honest and reports it? I know this sort of stuff happens all over the country if it happens here. Its not a level playing field.

It may seem like a childish thing to do. Its just my stubbornness coming out that I inherited from my Dad.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I understand what you are saying Tie. I do it to make a statement to the company that I think their safety award program is a joke. It just doesn't mean anything anymore.
UPS needs to come up with a consistent, coherent and logical definition of what constitutes an "accident". They also need to create a rational distinction between an "accident" and an "incident".
In my mind, and "accident" is where you hit another car in traffic...or run off of the road...or run over someone or something.
An "incident"...is where you crack a mirror on a tree branch at night...or tear up a muddy driveway trying to get turned around....or put a scratch in the package car next to you that is parked .000001 of an inch away.
To put a cracked mirror in the same category as running a red light and rear-ending a school bus is idiotic, and it makes it difficult to take our safety programs seriously. It would be nice if the words "reasonable" "logical" or "comon sense" were involved. But they arent.

soberups

The last time I broke a mirror on a tree limb I reported it to my center manager. He informed me that I did it while I was adjusting it that morning.
I break about 3 or 4 mirrors a year. I write it up and they stick a new one on. It is in no way considered an accident. Thats how it goes out in the country. I also scratch the hell out of the sides of the truck on tree branches and brush. One one occasion I got stuck in a muddy driveway, and rather than wait 2 hrs for a tow truck, the guy who owned the property put a chain on my bumper and towed me out with his tractor. It scratched the hell out of the bumper. Accident? Hell no, I wrote it up and the shop slopped a little brown paint on there and called it good.
My point in all this is that one center manager might charge me with "accidents" left and right for this trail of damage I leave in my wake, yet another center manager will recognize it for what it really is; normal wear and tear caused by stuff that happens in the real world.

Cementups

Box Monkey
How is breaking a mirror not an accident? Did you do it on purpose? No, it was accidentally. Did you tear up their driveway on purpose?, NOpe, another accident. Etc., etc., etc.. See what I'm getting at. I don't like it either, but that is how Big Brown sees it.

ac·ci·dent
thinsp.png
Audio Help/ˈæk
thinsp.png
thinsp.png
dənt/
Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[ak-si-duh
thinsp.png
nt]
Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1.an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap: automobile accidents. 2.Law. such a happening resulting in injury that is in no way the fault of the injured person for which compensation or indemnity is legally sought. 3.any event that happens unexpectedly, without a deliberate plan or cause.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I break about 3 or 4 mirrors a year. I write it up and they stick a new one on. It is in no way considered an accident. Thats how it goes out in the country. I also scratch the hell out of the sides of the truck on tree branches and brush. One one occasion I got stuck in a muddy driveway, and rather than wait 2 hrs for a tow truck, the guy who owned the property put a chain on my bumper and towed me out with his tractor. It scratched the hell out of the bumper. Accident? Hell no, I wrote it up and the shop slopped a little brown paint on there and called it good.
My point in all this is that one center manager might charge me with "accidents" left and right for this trail of damage I leave in my wake, yet another center manager will recognize it for what it really is; normal wear and tear caused by stuff that happens in the real world.

your also missing the part here where you never reported it to your management team. the mechanics aren't going to run and tattle on you unless it were something major. a $10 mirror is not a big deal to a mechanic but a 6" hole in the fiberglass roof where you "accidentally" backed into a tree limb is a whole other story.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
why is a simple "thank you for your service", or a " nice job yesterday" so damn hard for someone at ups to say once in a while. So many jobs, both large and small, do simple, nice things for their employees, why is it so hard for ups to? They cant use the excuse that it costs money, a thank you doesnt cost jack.

old levi's

blank space
If there is any mention whatsoever of one of our drivers reaching 25 or 30 years it is done at the PCM by someone who has probably only known the driver for 6 months to 2 years. But the worst part is the recogniton will not last longer than 15 seconds and this is interrupted by phones ringing, belt horns blaring, intercom annoucements, pre-loaders screaming at one another, and drivers leaving with EAMs. Sound familiar? It's a very moving experience.

Last edited:

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
Got the same treatment at 20 years, however, I will enjoy the bbq. Was talking to another driver yesterday, we both plan to retire on 4/30/09, we decided we will book a limo to take us home that day and skip the hot dogs they cook which they probably bought at a yard sale.

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09

We had a new driver that backed into the same building twice in their first 30 days. Not only did they keep their job but they received a 1 year safe driving award. I have seen drivers try to hide accidents of hitting mailboxes, pulling down wires etc just to keep their safe driving awards intact. The last time I broke a mirror on a tree limb I reported it to my center manager. He informed me that I did it while I was adjusting it that morning.

Why should one person get a safe driving award for covering up an accident when another person gets charged for the same thing when he is honest and reports it? I know this sort of stuff happens all over the country if it happens here. Its not a level playing field.

It may seem like a childish thing to do. Its just my stubbornness coming out that I inherited from my Dad.

You were right they were wrong, better to miss out on a $5 piece of crap that will break the first time you use it than take a chance losing your job for being dishonest.

UPS Lifer

Actually, I don't disagree with you on the accident vs incident classifications. But I do think you are over-justifying or simplifying certain accidents or incidents in your mind. Right now - the mirror and torn up driveway are accidents and if your manager or center team looks away....well that should be discussed in the "Ethics in Management" thread! LOL!

UPS stand on driving safely has everything to do with cost and liability issues. I really do not think you will see new categories of "incidents" anytime soon. If your manager is looking the other way now, a new category of "incidents" will only make it easier to classify a more serious accident as an incident.

Also, drivers will not worry about breaking mirrors anymore and the cost of replacement will skyrocket. If it was coming out of your pocket, how would you feel about it?

You can justify your accidents anyway you want but broken mirrors and getting stuck in someone's driveway are accidents! It is not my call to say if you should still have a job or not based on all your accidents. But I do know this....Don't take your Safe Driving Awards too seriously, I certainly don't!!!! :rofl:

Brownnblue

If there is any mention whatsoever of one of our drivers reaching 25 or 30 years it is done at the PCM by someone who has probably only known the driver for 6 months to 2 years. But the worst part is the recogniton will not last longer than 15 seconds and this is interrupted by phones ringing, belt horns blaring, intercom annoucements, pre-loaders screaming at one another, and drivers leaving with EAMs. Sound familiar? It's a very moving experience.

Well, we do have to put up with these kinds of things when we are getting "training".

soberups

Also, drivers will not worry about breaking mirrors anymore and the cost of replacement will skyrocket. If it was coming out of your pocket, how would you feel about it?
You can justify your accidents anyway you want but broken mirrors and getting stuck in someone's driveway are accidents
If UPS is going to make a business decision to provide delivery and pickup service to customers in rural areas with muddy roads and narrow driveways...then the occasional $5 piece of mirror glass is nothing more than the cost of doing business.
One of my personal vehicles is a 1976 4x4 Chevy pickup. I use it to go hunting, haul wood, haul gravel etc. It is a beater. It is a utility vehicle. If I need to to up a crummy road in it I do so, and if I get dents in it I pound 'em out with a hammer. I dont freak out about minor damage. I use the vehicle for its intended purpose and replace parts as needed.

soberups

your also missing the part here where you never reported it to your management team. the mechanics aren't going to run and tattle on you unless it were something major. a $10 mirror is not a big deal to a mechanic but a 6" hole in the fiberglass roof where you "accidentally" backed into a tree limb is a whole other story.
I report all damage to the vehicle, in writing, on the DVIR and I sign it. You cant get in trouble for not reporting an accident if you document it in the DVIR. Putting a hole in the roof is a big deal. I know, I have done it, and obviously something like that needs to be reported directly to mgmnt. Cracking a mirror is NOT a big deal. They are cheap and designed to be easily replaced.

UPS Lifer

Soberups,
All I can tell you is that as a manager I would charge the accidents all the same. A broken mirror in the city is no different than in the country. You can put the damaged mirror on the DVIR but you failed to report an accident.

Eventually you will have a manager that will define a broken mirror as an accident.
Then you will need to be more careful!

You have defined the parameters of an accident to fit your needs! It does not make it so.

Don't ever tell someone it is the "cost of doing business"! LOL

Parts wear out and break but a broken mirror is caused from a careless act. You had to get so close to a tree that a branch hit your mirror and broke. UPS would consider that an unsafe act. You could go so far as to say it is willful, wanton malicious damage and destruction of UPS property! You know where I am going with this!

So go ahead and continue to put yourself and UPS property in harm's way. It will catch up with you sooner or later.

I certainly hope that other drivers who read your posts do not make the same distinction as you do in regards to broken mirrors.

UPS Lifer

I report all damage to the vehicle, in writing, on the DVIR and I sign it. You cant get in trouble for not reporting an accident if you document it in the DVIR. Putting a hole in the roof is a big deal. I know, I have done it, and obviously something like that needs to be reported directly to mgmnt. Cracking a mirror is NOT a big deal. They are cheap and designed to be easily replaced.

The "trouble " you describe above is losing your job! Don't try to sugar coat it!

Did you put "fix broken mirror" on DVIR because that is not reporting an accident. All you are doing is reporting damage caused by an accident.

It really is interesting how you can get so close to something whether it is a tree or mailbox or whatever; actually hit that object, break a mirror in the process and not call it an accident!

Lifer, I sure hope you are not saying that hitting a fixed object with your mirror is the only way they get broken.
In 19 years I have my fair share of broken mirrors.
Once I was driving in a fairly strong wind on a two lane un-divided paved road traveling around 55-60 MPH. I was meeting a semi coming from the opposite direction, the turbulences created by the two trucks passing cause the driver side mirror to fold back into the side of the PC, breaking the mirror. Do you consider that and accident?
How about a pheasant fling up out of a ditch and hitting the mirror, shattering the mirror and not even moving the bracket. Accident?
Another time I was driving up a very long driveway at a country delivery, it was dark, tree lined drive on both sides. one of the branches hung down a little farther that most and caught the mirror, I could not see the branch in the darkness. Truly an accident that should have been called in from area?
I've got a couple of more if ya need em, but I think you have the idea.

In my early years I reported to two different sups that I had caught tree branches, breaking the mirrors. Both times I was told to just write them up on the DVIR, not a reportable accident. I've seen CMs watch a driver hit a pole inside the center and turn and walk away to never say a word to the driver. With the center manager and sups telling the drivers that such incidents are not reportable and walking away from seeing things as they happen, is it any wonder how drivers get the ideas we do? Ya know there is something to be said for precedence.
BTW, none of these instances were done out of a "willful, wanton malicious damage and destruction of UPS property!"

And even if Sober doesn't see where you are going with that I do. You are using language to start disciplinary actions.

rod

Retired 22 years
We could of had a half dozen drivers a day sitting around the building filling out accident reports just from the trucks being parked touching one another. Looking back- maybe we should of. Many many times I refused to move mine because it was hung up on another one. A sup or center manager would jump in it, plug their ears, and drive away. I didn't see any of them filling out a report about it.:peaceful: The worst package car you could have was one that had just been freshly painted. Every little tree branch scratch stood out like a sore thumb. (yes they used to take pride in their fleet and wash them and repaint them.)

feeder53

ADKtrails
UPS is no different than a lot of other companies. I have seen a lot of yardmen tap another trailer/truck and just straighten it up and put it in the slot. Some companies used to get a black magic marker and circle the scratch/dent and initial it until all the drivers had black magic markers and they figured out that they did not know everyones initials......

soberups

It really is interesting how you can get so close to something whether it is a tree or mailbox or whatever; actually hit that object, break a mirror in the process and not call it an accident!
Those of us who are actually out there in the real world delivering the packages have learned that :censored2::censored2::censored2::censored2: happens. Mirror glass gets cracked when you go down tree lined driveways in the dark. Scratches happen when the pkg cars are parked so close together as to be touching. Every pkg car in my building has touch-up paint along the sides from rubbing up against its neighbor. We work in an industrial enviornment. Things break. Stuff happens. Reciting acronyms and memorizing 10-pt commentaries isnt ever going to change that.