25 years ago we was on strike

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
It was 3 weeks of a good time.
The kids, the wives, the community all came out everyday with food and drink and signs. Every car blew their horn. The paper came out. Took pics. Laughed and joked. Fires at night.
The shock that we actually did it was on the faces of the supes when they drove by the line.

SorryLazyPOS

Big Kahuna Burger
It was 3 weeks of a good time.
The kids, the wives, the community all came out everyday with food and drink and signs. Every car blew their horn. The paper came out. Took pics. Laughed and joked. Fires at night.
The shock that we actually did it was on the faces of the supes when they drove by the line.
Does it look like it will happen again?

Mutineer

Holy cow that seems like a minute ago

How many of you guys and girls was there for that?
It was due to that strike that I began my occupation as a delivery driver. I was working in a furniture factory, and one of my duties was to keep track of inventory and order supplies before we ran out.

Because of the strike, my company ran out of some of the things we needed to build furniture. So I had to make phone calls and scavenge around town in order to source those things locally.

I remember my boss blaming me for not anticipating that UPS would go on strike.

Two weeks later I clocked out at lunch, drove to the local Airborne Express terminal, and was immediately hired.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Why do you think this?
Wrong choice of words maybe. I just think he’s blowing a lot of hot air. I hope I’m wrong, I honestly do. The vibe at my building during our kick off to the contract was Luke warm. Most part timers that we met with seemed uninterested. Ask a full timer if they’d take a lower raise so that part timers can catch up and they laugh. Ask a 20 something if they’d give up benefits for more pay and they say they’d jump on it. I unfortunately feel that our workforce is divided over what’s important to them, not to the group. Only time will tell, but I don’t feel like we are on a good path. I hope I’m wrong.

Thebrownblob

Wrong choice of words maybe. I just think he’s blowing a lot of hot air. I hope I’m wrong, I honestly do. The vibe at my building during our kick off to the contract was Luke warm. Most part timers that we met with seemed uninterested. Ask a full timer if they’d take a lower raise so that part timers can catch up and they laugh. Ask a 20 something if they’d give up benefits for more pay and they say they’d jump on it. I unfortunately feel that our workforce is divided over what’s important to them, not to the group. Only time will tell, but I don’t feel like we are on a good path. I hope I’m wrong.

Understandable after coming off 20+ years of a leader Of the international who really was more of a business man than a Labor movement leader. Sean is definitely old-school. Has time passed people like him by? I don’t know, I hope not. We’re gonna find out, I for one am prepared and ready. To me it seems like if there was ever a time this is it.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Understandable after coming off 20+ years of a leader Of the international who really was more of a business man than a Labor movement leader. Sean is definitely old-school. Has time passed people like him by? I don’t know I hope not. We’re gonna find out I for one am prepared and ready. To me it seems like if there was ever a time this is it.
I am ready for whatever lies ahead. Forced sixth (and possibly seventh?) punches are at the top of my list. Weekend work is being advanced, just as we thought it would, and creating a :censored2: storm with Monday volume. 22.4 needs to go. Part time pay needs to be made competitive with at least minimum wage and should be more. Then full time wages and medical benefits need to be at least maintained. Pension contributions should be increased to protect against inflation. That’s my list. Others have crazy :censored2: like more holidays, separate riders for full time/part time, air conditioning, the list goes on. You see, my point is what’s important to you or me isn’t to the person next to us. Are you willing to strike over Air conditioning? Would you strike if we only got similar raises to what we’ve received since ‘97?

Whither

Scofflaw
Thanks, that makes sense. It was lukewarm at best here too. I helped hand out flyers at one of the gates. A couple drivers refused to even take them lol. As for the rest, few of them stopped to chat. Of course I didn't expect a wildfire of enthusiasm haha.

However, if O'Brien gets meek during negotiations, he will lose all respect from his supporters in the membership. I know more than a few people, including myself, who are ready to go the distance. It's going to be interesting.