25 years ago we was on strike

542thruNthru

Wrong choice of words maybe. I just think he’s blowing a lot of hot air. I hope I’m wrong, I honestly do. The vibe at my building during our kick off to the contract was Luke warm. Most part timers that we met with seemed uninterested. Ask a full timer if they’d take a lower raise so that part timers can catch up and they laugh. Ask a 20 something if they’d give up benefits for more pay and they say they’d jump on it. I unfortunately feel that our workforce is divided over what’s important to them, not to the group. Only time will tell, but I don’t feel like we are on a good path. I hope I’m wrong.

Thanks, that makes sense. It was lukewarm at best here too. I helped hand out flyers at one of the gates. A couple drivers refused to even take them lol. As for the rest, few of them stopped to chat. Of course I didn't expect a wildfire of enthusiasm haha.

However, if O'Brien gets meek during negotiations, he will lose all respect from his supporters in the membership. I know more than a few people, including myself, who are ready to go the distance. It's going to be interesting.
From what I heard and saw our was the same way. My local pulled every BA and E board member and told every steward to be available to pass out the palm cards. 6 building 11 centers all at once on Monday. The rest of the week they are hitting every building one by one again. From what my BA told me last night as he was changing out the notices in the union bulletin board. Maybe 10% have actually downloaded the app from all the people he asked after Monday while passing out cards again. They also created a QR code so members can scan it and update their address. Guess how many have done that?

The apathy is still rampant across all members it seems.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
From what I heard and saw our was the same way. My local pulled every BA and E board member and told every steward to be available to pass out the palm cards. 6 building 11 centers all at once on Monday. The rest of the week they are hitting every building one by one again. From what my BA told me last night as he was changing out the notices in the union bulletin board. Maybe 10% have actually downloaded the app from all the people he asked after Monday while passing out cards again. They also created a QR code so members can scan it and update their address. Guess how many have done that?

The apathy is still rampant across all members it seems.

It is going to be hard to convince any hard core rank and file member to trust anything coming from the ivory tower even with our new leadership, far too many of us have been knifed in the back or ignored with the last several contracts.

Still a lot of unresolved issues created by our past leadership that O’Brien has to deal with. If his slate fails to address those problems with the 2023 contract at least we will have the final say so this time.

I really do not see any issue that both parties will be threatening a strike or lock out, the 1997 strike was all about the Company trying to get out of their liability with our pension trusts. The creation of the 22.3’s which was a major win was also an attempt to bolster the underfunded Teamsters’ pension plans particularly with those under the Central and Southern. That 2008 market crash did not help either.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
This new generation has zero experience with any type of job action. They haven't even been through a economic downturn. They were raised coddled, entitled and free of discomfort.

Thebrownblob

This new generation has zero experience with any type of job action. They haven't even been through a economic downturn. They were raised coddled, entitled and free of discomfort.
I agree mostly with your statement but I would also say I wasn’t involved in anything job action prior to 97 myself, and neither were most of the people who are around my age or seniority. The over 70 strike I was actually off that week so I didn’t even really participate in that. So I’m not gonna underestimate any of the young people until I have the proof that they won’t answer the call. I’m going to assume that every driver that had 25 or 30 years in in 1997 assumed I was a pusillanimous as well LOL. We all stepped up

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I agree mostly with your statement but I would also say I wasn’t involved in anything job action prior to 97 myself, and neither were most of the people who are around my age or seniority. The over 70 strike I was actually off that week so I didn’t even really participate in that. So I’m not gonna underestimate any of the young people until I have the proof that they won’t answer the call. I’m going to assume that every driver that had 25 or 30 years in in 1997 assumed I was a pusillanimous as well LOL. We all stepped up
We had a wildcat too.