3-day rides ramping up in our division

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I have in the past had the sup write down on his forms anything that has caused us to have to have to get out of a routine... for instance any sorts of traffic, or cods, packages in the wrong spot in the truck or missing packages...as long as they don’t massage your load you should be able to find lots of these .... ask for a copy and if they try to call you in the office make sure you mention these and throw them in the center manager face...they usually can’t explain them and you might get them saying “ we’ll talk to the loader about this but just know we’ll be watching you....lmao, yeah whatever...

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Not where I am.... Congrats for you seeing it for the past 40 years.

Can you post a link to your supplemental language that says that ?

How many times have you seen a member walked out and have a termination stick because of a 3 day ride in your 40 years here?????

They can't walk them out, the company has to follow progressive discipline.

A driver in my Local went all the way to the JAC in Denver.... but, still working.

Rob A from Local 538.... was discharged by a Panel for it in 2014.

A driver from Local 177 lost his case in arbitration in 1999. (case # A 19990526a177)

-Bug-

Last edited:

Jackofnotrades

Where

A driver in my Local went all the way to the JAC in Denver.... but, still working.

A driver from Local 177 lost his case in arbitration in 1999. (case # A 19990526a177)

-Bug-
Where does it state a 3 day ride along... A few bad apples milking the clock? I can show you a copy of our supplements but will cut and paste because I don't want my local number posted. But if you could be a bit easier with the I'm right your wrong attitude... You sound more like management then Union

RolloTony Brown Town

How many times have you seen a member walked out and have a termination stick because of a 3 day ride in your 40 years here?????

Never seen it. A lot of time managers use it to hold a driver accountable to the number demonstrated. Supervisors won’t take time to observe the driver following the methods. The letter of record is just a document.

In a lot of cases, Discipline is traded for grievances being tossed. Employees get irked for not getting their sups working and subcontracting penalty pay. Sups get pissed because they know their work is being tossed out to settle grievances. Rinse, repeat.

It’s a great system we have lol

RolloTony Brown Town

-Bug-

I was always told that a 3 day ride could be upheld, but I never believed it. Not based on the metrics anyways.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I was always told that a 3 day ride could be upheld, but I never believed it. Not based on the metrics anyways.

You have the ability to demonstrate all the methods (with out fail) and run the entire

route within the allotted time frame.... right ?

Not just this route.... but, all of them in your center.

Isn't that what you get paid for ?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
You have the ability to demonstrate all the methods (with out fail) and run the entire

I think that the IE guys who actually figure all that stuff out should be the ones able to demonstrate it..... some of those guys were drivers at one point and still probably have their dot cards.....and don’t stick in some bogus code in the study to make you run scratch for the day either.....

Coldworld

60 months and counting

It’s impossible.... can’t be done....I could find issues with the most senior ups on road sup just as easy as they could nitpick my day....

35years

Gravy route
I have a letter from my local which states that th he union never has, and never will recognize the time allowances.

I have never witnessed a driver fired for production in my 35+ years. Were the few examples Bug mentioned cases where a driver smoked the route on the 3 day and never came close later?

I studied statistics at a major university. A 3 day ride is not a representative sample of production because is not random. There are so many variables in a typical work day that could significantly impact performance that the expected variation from the mean for sporh would make any "lock in" essentially meaninlgess.

Weather, bulk, traffic, load quality, ORION inconsistantcy etc etc. are ignored in the lock in ride. These are primary variables determining production.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Where do drivers get the idea.... that the company can only ride with them once a year ?

It boils down to what the reason for the ride along is. It's not so much that they can't ride along more than once per year, but what is the point? They want to do a space and visibility ride? Ok. They want to do a methods ride? Fine. Space and visibility includes safe driving methods, and they can easily observe the other methods while you're not driving, so why would they need to ride along more than one day?

RolloTony Brown Town

I have the ability, like most drivers, to perform all of the methods. Without fail...? By this I’m assuming you mean that every stop is completed within the allotted time allowance. Probably not. Early in the day the truck isn’t as organized as it’ll get. So earlier in the day my selection is slower and as the day goes on it would improve.

I can’t speak for every center because I only worked in 2. In one of the centers I was able to scratch all but 3 of the routes. 21/24 routes that were in everyday. The ones I couldn’t I wanted time studies done because something was off. There were also a few routes that you could crush and be an hour plus under. Again, something off.

On roads get paid to train drivers in the methods. The time allowances aren’t all correct. Obviously the company doesn’t want to do them. Idk what to tell you bug.

No one told me it was my job to be able to scratch all of my center’s routes. My thought was more so I want to be good at this cause I give a :censored2:. I didn’t cut corners because anyone can fudge their numbers by running their breaks and meal. It proves nothing.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Where does it state a 3 day ride along...

That's what is done.... multiple 3 day riders with progressive discipline involved.

But if you could be a bit easier with the I'm right your wrong attitude... You sound more like management then Union

I was just pointing out the truth, and that sounds like management ?

I I have never witnessed a driver fired for production in my 35+ years. Were the few examples Bug mentioned cases where a driver smoked the route on the 3 day and never came close later?

They don't get fired for "production" per se.

Rob A had active warning letters and previous suspensions.

His case was probably supervised vs. unsupervised + overall job performance.

The guy from Local 177 had been been previously "counseled" for 4 or 5 years.

Also had active discipline, and the arbitrator noted he was getting unjust overtime

because of his lack of performance. Supervised vs. unsupervised again.

A guy refused one yesterday because they already rode with him last week so the on road followed him all day in a van.

That made me laugh.

How do you tell a supervisor they aren't allowed on the car with you ?

-Bug-