3 page hand out today for on line media groups.

Ricochet1a

I've been working for a while and seen workers come and go. One worker whom transferred to another location told us about a firing of an employee at that location. Well the exact same infraction was done at our location but no firing. Without going into details, information was giving back and forth between the two locations. Armed with the information from our location, the fired worker fought and got his job back. The worker said, the managers looked him as he argued his case and the look on their faces was like, where the heck did he find this out?. So maybe the company is also thinking with a network like this, good information will be passed back and forth making it harder to do as they please to unknowing workers. Just maybe?

That happens so rarely, that Express isn't worried about it.

They are worried about employees going on social media and dragging FedEx through the mud. Remember the classic "Monitor toss over the fence" video on YouTube - that did some significant damage to FedEx. There are other videos on YouTube that also portray the reality of FedEx - which isn't too pretty.

They are also worried about discontented employees (there will be a lot more of them come October), that will go onto social media and start talking - and getting even MORE pissed off at Express, the more they read. They want to put some fear out there, to keep them silent - or have the tools to can their butts if need be.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
They are counting on the fact that most employees couldn't tell you what the Supreme Court does much less cite one of their decisions. This is certainly true of my hypothetical workgroup.[/QUO]

Its just a matter of time until Fedex subpoenas brown cafe for the ip addresses of all of us.
Oligarchy is here now in america, we mean nothing to the wealthy class.

Just like the gilded age or something!!1!

59 Dano

Well, there you have it folks, there is no denying it anymore - your employer is actively looking at what you write and make public on your time.

We need someone to complain that their privacy is being violated. That'd be funny!

This policy is consistent with all the other corporate policies that I've seen. This is SOP for 2012. Pssst: Facebook and Youtube are the culprits.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The mental world of MFE is a very strange and unusual place.

Publicly defaming your employer can get you fired and it's perfectly legal, snowflake.

I'm anonymous, genius. When you figure out who I am, let me know, and I''ll get my lawyer working on it. Until then, keep trying to fool the mentally-challenged.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

R1a, I'm surprised FedEx included LinkedIn in their list of social network sites. LinkedIn is a medium wherein professionals can network with other professionals within the same field. My son is a Supply Chain Solutions major and there is a LinkenIn forum specifically for SCS majors at his school.

Ricochet1a

R1a, I'm surprised FedEx included LinkedIn in their list of social network sites. LinkedIn is a medium wherein professionals can network with other professionals within the same field. My son is a Supply Chain Solutions major and there is a LinkenIn forum specifically for SCS majors at his school.

One shouldn't be surprised...

The "Guidelines" apply to FedEx "professionals" as well as wage employees.

Professionals who are "consultants" or who are looking for work, have a very good reason to use LinkedIn - it is basically an online resume service. It provides those who are looking for specific talent the ability to quickly see what professionals are available in a given area and facilitates contact with those professionals.

Now... professionals who are employees of major corporations don't really need to be advertising themselves to the world at large (they're employed "full-time" after all) - unless they are wanting to "jump ship".... FedEx knows this, so thus why the Guidelines apply to non-wage employees too.

Another thing FedEx wants to avoid, is having those in managerial positions getting requests to provide recommendations regarding former FedEx employees (through inquires of their potential LinkedIn profiles). FedEx has a strict policy against anyone giving any sort of recommendation or revealing employee performance review data.

So the Guidelines serve as a form of potential litigation avoidance for FedEx (trying to prevent salaried employees giving out company confidential information through "social media", then getting sued for having confidential information released). I've known this ever since I first started posting here - and it is why I so vigorously protect my sources - they could and would have their employment terminated if they were found out.

There is also the not so veiled threat contained in the Guidelines to wage employees that they'd better behave, or else face the consequences.

The only thing that is really significant regarding the whole document, is that FedEx has now openly admitted that it will discipline employees who drag FedEx through the mud - IF they can be identified. Just what constitutes someone positively identifying themselves in social media - that wasn't contained within the "Guidelines". A profile on LinkedIn is obviously automatically identifying - posting on here isn't. The question is where do services like Facebook and Twitter fall (profiles are notoriously easy to fake). The document does reference the "FedEx Code of Business Conduct and Ethics", which presumably gives further detail on just what constitutes "employee identification".

Up until the "Monitor Toss over the Fence" video on YouTube last Christmas, FedEx basically turned a blind eye to what was going on in social media. Yes, they did monitor social media (and despite what some would want to assert, they did (and do) indeed monitor this particular forum) - but they weren't too aggressive in trying to intimidate their employees into not participating - and they definitely didn't have a written policy which basically threatened discipline up to and includinng termination for "slamming FedEx".

That has all changed now. FedEx took a significant hit with that single video. I did receive data that FedEx (and Express in particular) did indeed lose business right after that video was posted. The segment on I think "Good Morning America" cost FedEx in the tens of millions of dollars in lost revenue (internal estimates). They don't want that to happen again. Too many videos of monitors being tossed, boxes being thrown, docs being left in the rain.... and it could cause some serious damage to the "brand".

The ironic thing (not really ironic if you understand FedEx culture), is that they are pushing hard for productivity, thus placing Couriers into the positon of either trying to "make their numbers" (tossing the box), or doing the "right thing", but taking a hit to their stops per hour goal. They are also pushing hard for Couriers to "return to base" as soon as possible (handing out discipline if they exceed their planned RTB time by a certain amount), BUT are also pushing Couriers to make a re-attempt stop at businesses which were closed when they made their first delivery attempt for the day. Classic Catch-22. Spend 20 or so extra minutes on-road trying to make an additional attempt at a few businesses which were closed during the first delivery attempt - BUT get back to the station on time. Classic FedEx, they want to have their cake and eat it too. The wage employees are caught in the middle, trying to figure out just which policy they want to risk breaking.

Then add in the known October Surprise coming, and FedEx knows damn well that the wage employees will blow their tops. They're betting that they don't do any real organizing attempts - but just "get stupid" and start dragging FedEx through the mud. Knowing the habits of many Couriers myself - FedEx is accurate in this assumption. Thus the Guidelines and the very real threat that if an employee identifies themselves and libels FedEx in any way (as determined by FedEx) that FedEx reserves the right to hand out discipline up to and including termination.

TUT

I'm anonymous, genius. When you figure out who I am, let me know, and I''ll get my lawyer working on it. Until then, keep trying to fool the mentally-challenged.

If you believe that, your best chance is to only login ever and only via a public computer with an email address created at a public place with all fictional information. Otherwise your IP is like DNA to trace and there are 10000 to 1 people that can trace IP's vs DNA. I have no idea how much they care.

TUT

That has all changed now. FedEx took a significant hit with that single video. I did receive data that FedEx (and Express in particular) did indeed lose business right after that video was posted. The segment on I think "Good Morning America" cost FedEx in the tens of millions of dollars in lost revenue (internal estimates). They don't want that to happen again. Too many videos of monitors being tossed, boxes being thrown, docs being left in the rain.... and it could cause some serious damage to the "brand".

The ironic thing (not really ironic if you understand FedEx culture), is that they are pushing hard for productivity, thus placing Couriers into the positon of either trying to "make their numbers" (tossing the box), or doing the "right thing", but taking a hit to their stops per hour goal. They are also pushing hard for Couriers to "return to base" as soon as possible (handing out discipline if they exceed their planned RTB time by a certain amount), BUT are also pushing Couriers to make a re-attempt stop at businesses which were closed when they made their first delivery attempt for the day. Classic Catch-22. Spend 20 or so extra minutes on-road trying to make an additional attempt at a few businesses which were closed during the first delivery attempt - BUT get back to the station on time. Classic FedEx, they want to have their cake and eat it too. The wage employees are caught in the middle, trying to figure out just which policy they want to risk breaking.

Then add in the known October Surprise coming, and FedEx knows damn well that the wage employees will blow their tops. They're betting that they don't do any real organizing attempts - but just "get stupid" and start dragging FedEx through the mud. Knowing the habits of many Couriers myself - FedEx is accurate in this assumption. Thus the Guidelines and the very real threat that if an employee identifies themselves and libels FedEx in any way (as determined by FedEx) that FedEx reserves the right to hand out discipline up to and including termination.

The monitor toss to me is still quite a bit different. That is a non-fedex employee using a camera to record and share. To bad for Fedex. What I see is how easy one can sabotage a company like that. I mean hell the employee could be quitting today. Lets call a buddy and frame the company. This could happen to anyone at any point anymore. And as you say, they tighten the screws so much on the employee's performance, that they don't understand how precious the relationship could be and how easy revenge damage can be done with a phone camera.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
We need someone to complain that their privacy is being violated. That'd be funny!

This policy is consistent with all the other corporate policies that I've seen. This is SOP for 2012. Pssst: Facebook and Youtube are the culprits.

Sounds just like it came over Frontline. FedEx is "just being like everyone else", la de da. How about having a corporate pay policy that is consistent with all the other corporate policies you've seen. Pathetic.

59 Dano

Sounds just like it came over Frontline. FedEx is "just being like everyone else", la de da. How about having a corporate pay policy that is consistent with all the other corporate policies you've seen. Pathetic.

Let's steer this thread off-topic too, because there aren't enough threads that have been threadjacked into "FedEx doesn't pay enough" already.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Let's steer this thread off-topic too, because there aren't enough threads that have been threadjacked into "FedEx doesn't pay enough" already.

You were the one mentioning that FedEx was just following the corporate trend. You lie like a rug here every day so I'm guessing you will be terminated under the new policy for misrepresenting FedEx.

59 Dano

You were the one mentioning that FedEx was just following the corporate trend. You lie like a rug here every day so I'm guessing you will be terminated under the new policy for misrepresenting FedEx.

OK, threadjack another one and complain about your pay even more. It's all about you, snowflake.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
OK, threadjack another one and complain about your pay even more. It's all about you, snowflake.

No, it's all about you assclown. You get on here, lie like the shill you are, and then try to divert attention from the glaring inequities at FedEx. These threads go anywhere and everywhere, and as much as you'd like to, you (and FedEx) can't control it. So if I want to talk about the crap pay (or anything else), I will.

MT3 says the white carpet in the P1 Lounge is dirty. Better get with the program, or you'll be loading cans again. Chop, Chop!!

XFILED

No, it's all about you assclown. You get on here, lie like the shill you are, and then try to divert attention from the glaring inequities at FedEx. These threads go anywhere and everywhere, and as much as you'd like to, you (and FedEx) can't control it. So if I want to talk about the crap pay (or anything else), I will.

MT3 says the white carpet in the P1 Lounge is dirty. Better get with the program, or you'll be loading cans again. Chop, Chop!!

Mr.Fedex Clear up your inbox..I got a update for you...

CJinx

I haven't seen any new handouts or emails recently. I guess I am free to slander the company as I see fit.