30 Minute Break Problem (Mass.Only?)

MassWineGuy

I work in Massachusetts where state law requires that employees take a 30 minute break after working six hours. FedEx requires us to take these.

During the regular work week I ordinarily only work 5.5 hours a day max. Usually 5. But on Saturdays when I'm delivering, there's a much better chance of hitting over six hours. Even then, it's uncommon. Typically, I don't work more than four hours on Saturdays.

A few months back I missed taking two breaks. I spoke with my manager who, I guess, documented our conversation. Today I worked about five minutes over six hours. Again, it's not that I intend to not take breaks. It's just that it comes up so infrequently that I'm not thinking about it.

I'm worried about getting a letter. Has anyone else had trouble with breaks? What happened? Do people actually get fired over this?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I work in Massachusetts where state law requires that employees take a 30 minute break after working six hours. FedEx requires us to take these.

During the regular work week I ordinarily only work 5.5 hours a day max. Usually 5. But on Saturdays when I'm delivering, there's a much better chance of hitting over six hours. Even then, it's uncommon. Typically, I don't work more than four hours on Saturdays.

A few months back I missed taking two breaks. I spoke with my manager who, I guess, documented our conversation. Today I worked about five minutes over six hours. Again, it's not that I intend to not take breaks. It's just that it comes up so infrequently that I'm not thinking about it.

I'm worried about getting a letter. Has anyone else had trouble with breaks? What happened? Do people actually get fired over this?
In my many years at FedEx, I've never heard of anyone getting fired for not taking breaks. However, if you were to get three warning letters in a year, you could be fired.

HedleyLamarr

The 30 minute break for every half hour of work is a big deal at my station. The employee and the their manager both get in trouble here. A couple of weeks ago, I went over six hours without a break, so I ended up taking a break at the end of the night and stayed at the station for an extra half-hour.

MAKAVELI

Not sure how it works in Mass but here in Cali if you hit 6 hours without a 30 min break by your 5th hour, FedEx has to pay you a 1 hour penalty.

MassWineGuy

Not sure how it works in Mass but here in Cali if you hit 6 hours without a 30 min break by your 5th hour, FedEx has to pay you a 1 hour penalty.

Sounds like that assumes the company didn't let you have a break. Penalty hour's a nice perk. Never happen here.

Dezguy: do you mean three letters in three years?

Maui

It's a good law that protects workers from employers that try to deny a workers right to a meal break.

Letters have been issued for CA Break Violation because of the penalty and previous lawsuits. I doubt it has happened anywhere else though. It was 2 OLCC and the 3rd violation in a year was a letter.

MAKAVELI

Letters have been issued for CA Break Violation because of the penalty and previous lawsuits. I doubt it has happened anywhere else though. It was 2 OLCC and the 3rd violation in a year was a letter.
Well obviously. If they didn't, they'd have couriers getting violations left and right. But before this law FedEx didn't care if you worked through your break and actually encouraged the practice.

McFeely

Huge Member
Colorado law is also 5 hours= 30 min break. But we can take them at any point during the day. I typically take mine after 7 hours so my afternoon goes quickly.