30 + years with UPS & Fired - I'm the wife

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I must defend Rocky here and let's look at why.....Some of you have taken his comments out of context and made him look like an educated snob....

Thanks for the assist, BAU. I'm really not an educated snob. I went to school on a campus where 90% of the undergraduates are 'princes' and
'princesses.' I've met these educated snobs in the real world and felt like I needed a shower after leaving their company. I've worked with hordes of educated snobs and the personality clash was a spectacle. No, I'm at home with people with similar dispositions to those employed by UPS.

I think BAU is right. Scanning a post can't totally mess up the intention of the poster.

Thanks, More. I agree! Even though I deleted it, your example of the subprime housing fiasco is a good one.

In my defense, my response was based word choice. What gave Rocky's post a negative spin was the word "despite". That word gave his comments an "even though I have an education..I'm still here" feel to his post.
And frankly it irritated and offended me.
Now I see that perhaps it was a miscommunication and if that is so, well then I apologize. Maybe Rocky could take it a step further and clear it up for himself. :)

I'll assume that apology was directed my way. If so, I accept. Next time, please read the entire post before you become offended. That having been said, I could have used much better language, word choice and all around structure. I deserved the questioning but the flaming was too much.

Even if you didn't want to imply that, someone with your education could see how it could be taken.

Taken out of context, yes, you're right. But if you read the entire exchange--start to finish--AND my post in detail, you'd see my point. However, as stated above, I admit my word choice, structure and language could have been better.

The kid's a narcissistic, self gratifying type. Read his posts from past history. IMO he wasn't taken out of context, that is who he is.

WRONG, sir! Nothing could be further from the truth. Would you like examples?? Please let me know. I'll PM you stories from the last 6 months that will entirely change your belief.

I disagree. You are confusing confidence with narcissism. I've never seen anything to indicate that he thinks he's above anyone here.

Everything you say above is right, BAU. Thanks for the assist. I can't remember ever writing anything that suggests I'm above anyone here, either. Doesn't mean its not there, just says I don't remember. -Rocky

bellesotico

BOXstar
....I'll assume that apology was directed my way. If so, I accept. Next time, please read the entire post before you become offended. That having been said, I could have used much better language, word choice and all around structure. I deserved the questioning but the flaming was too much....

-Rocky

Rocky...I abbreviated your post as I cannot truly speak for anyone here but myself.

The internet is such an impersonal medium. There is no intonation, and it makes it real easy to assign "feeling" to text.
On forums such as this it is common to make assumptions about a posters' attitudes without having an idea as to how that person may truly think or feel about a subject, or the motive behind the post.

Regarding your reply, please understand this, I read your entire post as well as other posts you have made and it wasn't until you used the word "despite" that I had any issue at all. I think I made that quite clear in my apology. It makes absolutely no sense at all that you would ask me to read an entire post before becoming offended and then admit that you worded your post poorly. Um..yeah..

I'm trying very hard to chalk all of this up to..a miscommunication..and hey maybe you are just a great guy and you are misunderstood..but your reply is coming off...I don't know..pretty stand-offish. Maybe that is the best word for it as not to "flame". I would really like to know WHERE you felt I flamed you. I choose my words very carefully. Perhaps you should read entire posts as well before becoming offended.

It's whatever...

bellesotico

BOXstar
And just to take it one step further..because I really loathe being accused of doing something I know I didn't do..Here is my original post to you Rocky:

"I find your statement quite puzzling. You make a negative statement "I still hang out on this board DESPITE my education..." then turn around and act like WE are surprised you are here because of how all "SMART" you are..lol...
The funny part is just how IGNORANT you come off. :) <------OPINION not FLAME
You have NO clue as to the educational background of any poster on this board unless they have told you and the very fact that you have made such a bold generalization lends to the notion you might not be such a bright light bulb(Opinion not FLAME) after all.

The economy is not that easy to understand. And you need to have more than just a basic understanding of arithmetic to understand it. Try algebra. How do I know? I've had 4 years of econ classes.

Oh and by the way Rocky..two cents won't even buy you a gum ball anymore.(poke at your knowledge of Econ. You should put more value in your opinion. NOT A FLAME.)

Leftinbuilding

Hey, I read about this guy who had 30+ years with UPS, but got fired for an accident. Anybody else hear about this? I think his wife was telling the story. :happy2:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Hey, I read about this guy who had 30+ years with UPS, but got fired for an accident. Anybody else hear about this? I think his wife was telling the story. :happy2:

Yeap, I thought I read something about this too. The reason he might not just want to go ahead and get his pension, he might be in the same boat I am in. I just turned fifty and am working on year 33. I have time in, but am too young to draw pension. You get penalized so bad for going out early, you might as well keep working and try to invest more. Three accidents in one year sounds pretty bad though, it sounds like somebody could have got killed in the second and third one. Hitting cars on the side of the road and loosing a trailer going down the highway sounds pretty careless to me.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Sorry, folks but I couldn't resist responding to this one publicly.....

"I find your statement quite puzzling. You make a negative statement "I still hang out on this board DESPITE my education..." then turn around and act like WE are surprised you are here because of how all "SMART" you are..lol...
The funny part is just how IGNORANT you come off. :) <------OPINION not FLAME

Not really puzzling. A poster questioned why somebody with education would continue to post here. That was the point I was trying to make, Bell. I have an education but it doesn't mean one can not express an interest in some other areas or opinions. In this context, I'm referring to BrownCafe. And as I've stated several times, I enjoy the banter here. I can also honestly say that I will never forget the sense of camaraderie I had while a UPS employee. I've looked for that in employment situations since but haven't been able to find it. Regret? No! Just a thing I miss.

You have NO clue as to the educational background of any poster on this board unless they have told you and the very fact that you have made such a bold generalization lends to the notion you might not be such a bright light bulb(Opinion not FLAME) after all.

True that I don't have any clue about the educational level of any one on this forum unless they've told me. Did I say--even suggest--that I know everyone's educational background on this board??? From reading many posts over the last several years, I know several posters have either received a college degree or put in substantial work towards one before deciding on UPS as a full-time gig. To each his own on that decision. And I'm a 'bright' enough bulb to know when I've been beat. Are you? I'm also bright enough of a bulb to read hostility and some other emotions in many posts. I'm seeing that in too many posts lately.

The economy is not that easy to understand. And you need to have more than just a basic understanding of arithmetic to understand it. Try algebra. How do I know? I've had 4 years of econ classes.

hahaha....I took a year of Economics. Any idea how much of that proved useful? ZILCH! Macro and mircoeconomics certainly have a big role to play but you'd need to specialize in economics like it sounds you've done to really have a use for them. I can--and do--follow the markets when I have the chance using online news services. Its not hard to understand on its most basic level, particularly with how well its broken down. When I say 'understand,' I mean for the guy dabbling in the stock market and trying to keep some kind of an idea of where his 401K stands. That was my ultimate point. Make sense???

Oh and by the way Rocky..two cents won't even buy you a gum ball anymore.(poke at your knowledge of Econ. You should put more value in your opinion. NOT A FLAME.)

Yeah, I know 2 cents won't even buy me a gum-ball anymore. I'm young but I'm not THAT young! :happy-very:. My 'two cents' comment was a turn of phrase. I put a substantial premium on my opinion, labor and thoughts. Try suggesting UPS offer me a job at $8.50/hr and see how long I roll on the floor laughing. I'll give you a hint.....a very long time. PAX! -Rocky

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
.... I put a substantial premium on my opinion, labor and thoughts. Try suggesting UPS offer me a job at $8.50/hr and see how long I roll on the floor laughing. I'll give you a hint.....a very long time. PAX! -Rocky...

And they say I'm arrogant..

Read the above post, folks. THAT is arrogance. That is spending an hour on the word processor, getting the wording, format, content just right.

Rocky, I've been here all of two weeks. And you are one annoying little man. Come back when you have been in the real world a while.

dillweed

I've known Rocky a long, long time. He went through the typical UPS Hell and has worked his butt off to finish his education.

Not everyone wants a lifetime career at UPS but that doesn't mean he cannot relate to what goes on there. He comes in here to support and befriend the rest of us.

He's not a snob, by any means. Rocky's a down-to-earth person and his post was misunderstood.

Blow it off Rocky, you know better than to take anything UPS too seriously. Love ya and always look forward to your posts.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
...He's not a snob, by any means. Rocky's a down-to-earth person and his post was misunderstood...

Glad you cleared that up - because by the tone of his posts, he almost appears to WANT to look like an over-educated blowhard snob kid that hasn't had a real job yet. Just my opinion of course....

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Read the above post, folks. THAT is arrogance. That is spending an hour on the word processor, getting the wording, format, content just right.

Actually, that post was less than 5 minutes from start to finish with formatting, wording and content considerations included. And by the way....word processors are a union rep's best friend :happy-very:. And hey....if I needed a part-time job, ya know the first place I'd apply? That's right....the nearest United Parcel Service facility.

Rocky, I've been here all of two weeks. And you are one annoying little man. Come back when you have been in the real world a while.

I've been called worse than annoying (including many words that the mods would scold me for using), so that doesn't bother me. I'll be back when I've experienced the real world. I just hope I don't become like some people on this board (NOT talking about you, so please) that are bitter about their decisions, angry at their employer for their own decisions and resentful towards those that have 'done good.'

Glad you cleared that up - because by the tone of his posts, he almost appears to WANT to look like an over-educated blowhard snob kid that hasn't had a real job yet. Just my opinion of course....

Nope, wrong again. That's how YOU take them. I can certainly see why you do but encouraging people to hate my guts won't take you far, sir. I remember when this was a civilized, welcoming community. Anybody else remember those days? :sad-very: -Rocky

dillweed

For crying out loud Rocky, you know how some of these folks are. Everyone is the best, has the biggest loads, the worst routes, they load/unload faster than anyone else and on and on.

UPSers are an arrogant batch because we do a crappy job in a crappy environment. You've been there, done that and are capable of doing it again.

You saw the suckiness of UPS, have a good mind and wanted something that may offer more respect and security. No security in a body that goes to Hell at age 50.

The way you express yourself has matured, which comes with higher education. Don't feel bad about that, you speak well and don't ever be ashamed of it.

We have retired folks on here, they no longer work at UPS but have wisdom and advice to offer, the same as you. So don't let some sour-asses run you out.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
... I can certainly see why you do but encouraging people to hate my guts won't take you far, sir. I remember when this was a civilized, welcoming community. Anybody else remember those days? :sad-very: -Rocky

I'm not encouraging anyone to do anything. I'm just making an observation.

Hate your guts? Kid, I don't have the time or energy to worry about this - this is a forum, just words on a screen. I come here to learn from people who have more experience than I do, post my opinions once in a while, and gather information to better myself. If I start taking anything personally, it's me with the problem, not anyone else.

And if I ever post a poll about should I stay or should I go, I'm hoping that someone has the decency to push me in front of a speeding UPS truck, because at that point I will have obviously lost it.:happy2:

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Originally Posted by wyobill1956
Your here one day and gone the next:happy2:

.....and in two days no-one will even remember your name.

Don't fight the firing. He has over 30 years. Time to fade away into the sunset.

First, draw unemployment for a while. Let the company and union fix the problem, or finalize your termination. Right now, you are just along for the ride, not much you can do. Finding a good union rep has nothing to do with your problem.

As for Tie's question of health, I would include mental as well. Are there things that have dominated his life that are pulling his attention away from work. Three accidents of that type in a year from someone that has never had a problem is not usual. So lets start by looking for the unusual in this guys life. Dont know if that will help his situation, but you never know.

as far as ending a career this way, does he really have a choice? Sometimes you just gotta take what life throws at you and move on. I did. It sucks, but it is what it is. 33 years and not even a mention, just there one day, gone the next.

Rocky, all I can say is ?????

d