300 a week bonus to new hires

Heavy Package

I have said it many times in different ways on this blog...UPS's working conditions are its biggest problem for attracting and retaining quality people. The horrid buildings / lighting / heat / AC / bathrooms, etc. coupled with the constant harassment at all levels is crap in today's pool of workers.

The people today expect and deserve better. UPS bitches about cost, but there is a real truth to the fact that UPS needs drastic incentives for employees since the work environment is complete crap.

The Real Jack RyanMI6

I have said it many times in different ways on this blog...UPS's working conditions are its biggest problem for attracting and retaining quality people. The horrid buildings / lighting / heat / AC / bathrooms, etc. coupled with the constant harassment at all levels is crap in today's pool of workers.

The people today expect and deserve better. UPS bitches about cost, but there is a real truth to the fact that UPS needs drastic incentives for employees since the work environment is complete crap.
Soo soo true, intriguing how things have changed over the years. Not only from a cultural perspective, my grandfather wouldn't have thought being late was a thing you could do, he in turn inspired the same in my father who inspired it in me. But also pay difference Nobody paid as much as UPS back 20+ years ago and my parents benefits didnt cover as much or cover me after i believe the age was 18. I know i wouldn't want to be part time preload again. They now process more than twice the volume some doors, belts etc.. in the same time as we did when i was part time no thanks

cachmeifucan

File a we claim for with department of labor
This is totally unfair. At my center these new hires still get the bonus after getting benefits. We do same job same pay but no bonus. Sadly I only have 6 months seniority over them. Maybe we should do a class action or contact the media.

Time for change

But the IBT lovers will tell you to thank the IBT for all of that. If it wasn’t for the IBT, it would be Auschwitz.

cachmeifucan

It's so true it's freezing in winter over 100 in summer the bathrooms are always horrible the belts and bells are so loud. In the break room a pop cost 1.55 bottle. The black dust we inhale is killing us. My boogers got black dust so bad it scary. 15 years to go god willing

cachmeifucan

Here we do the giving and management does the receiving. They try to harass people but it only works on the ones that don't know any better

rod

Retired 22 years
Was the $6.75 per hour for drivers only or for other positions as well?

At that time EVERYONE was at the same pay scale. They were grandfathered in on all future contracts so that there are still a few part-timers who make the same as a full scale full time driver

rod

Retired 22 years
It's so true it's freezing in winter over 100 in summer the bathrooms are always horrible the belts and bells are so loud. In the break room a pop cost 1.55 bottle. The black dust we inhale is killing us. My boogers got black dust so bad it scary. 15 years to go god willing

I had forgot about the boogers :rolleyes:-----damn you could roll up some NASTY ones if you had dirt roads on your route

rod

Retired 22 years
How about that Marty guy who retired a few years ago with 63 years at ups... think he only missed 3 or 4 days that whole time ... ridiculous!!!

That was far beyond ridiculous---Old Marty must have had a screw loose to work that long. Just HOW BAD would your home life have to be to work 63 years at UPS?

PT Car Washer

That was far beyond ridiculous---Old Marty must have had a screw loose to work that long. Just HOW BAD would your home life have to be to work 63 years at UPS?
Did you ever consider that just maybe he enjoyed his job? I have 41 years in with no plans to retire any time soon. Of course that could change at any time.

Waldo

So true. I was in a trailer yesterday that was so dusty a baseball diamond is much cleaner. Every time I set a package down a big cloud of dust engulfed the whole trailer.

As far as the vending machines are concerned, they are joke. One machine in my break room eats dollars without giving a refund and the fancy Aquafina machine drops the soda in the machine but doesn’t give a refund either.

rod

Retired 22 years
Did you ever consider that just maybe he enjoyed his job? I have 41 years in with no plans to retire any time soon. Of course that could change at any time.

So you say you hate your home life? JK-----PT is one thing but being a full time driver for 63 years qualifies a person for admission to the nut house.

PT Car Washer

So you say you hate your home life? JK-----PT is one thing but being a full time driver for 63 years qualifies a person for admission to the nut house.
Retirement party next Friday for one of my drivers I preloaded for several decades ago. Started 1971 PT, package car driver for many years and finished up in porters. 47 years total. We have another porter (former Feeder driver) who is in his mid 70's and no sign of retiring. Another PT clerk with like 45 years and early 70's has no plans to retire. Another International clerk is in her early 70's has no plans to retire any time soon.