40 Hour Feeder School Bid?

Pickles

Just wanting to know what your bids say around the country. Ours say..

Full time employees must have all the written tests passed and then at the end of the first week they take you to do the driving test with UPS equiptment.

If no full-time employees signs then part timers must already have a full CDL to be considered for 40 hour school.

Seeing if this is nationwide or just made up at our hub because they don't want to train PT'ers.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Talk to your union rep, soon. Before the feeder bids were put up in my building there was worry that they were going to fill the spots through off the street hires. So I called my local union hall and described the situation. The rep told me to be on the lookout for ANY feeder bid saying that you already need to have a CDL license, at which point a grievance would need to be filed, because that is simply not true.

The feeder bids get filled by FT first, then to PY employees, and finally off the street hires.

Also it's not a 40 hour school, it is 80 hours. The first forty hours are unpaid, and if you pass and get your cdl license, the second forty hours are paid.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
There is no need to already have a CDL.

And we are going to pull from PT for feeder before too long.

My hub just was before I went on vacation. There were many delivery drivers who were THINKING about it, but I guess they didn't want to put their pen to paper. Now they all missed out on this round of school.

Johney

Talk to your union rep, soon. Before the feeder bids were put up in my building there was worry that they were going to fill the spots through off the street hires. So I called my local union hall and described the situation. The rep told me to be on the lookout for ANY feeder bid saying that you already need to have a CDL license, at which point a grievance would need to be filed, because that is simply not true.

The feeder bids get filled by FT first, then to PY employees, and finally off the street hires.

Also it's not a 40 hour school, it is 80 hours. The first forty hours are unpaid, and if you pass and get your cdl license, the second forty hours are paid.
Here they will not even test you for your CDL until you finish and pass both weeks. They've been burned too many times by giving drivers CDL's only to have them bail before finishing the second week.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
I went into feeders 3 months ago? Around that long I believe. So anyways, I was part time shifter. They called in Feb and asked if I was interested. They told me the three things I needed CLD CLASS A permit with doubles and trip endorsement, DOT physical, and a drug test. After I got those three things, I went into class a couple months later. We didn't have enough full timers that wanted to go. So what happened was, they needed feeder drives really bad so they went first come first serve. It only benefits you to go ahead and get your stuff. It took me a week. I failed the written test once and went back and took it again and passed it, then was able to get all my other stuff. So far we have got 30+ new feeder drivers, and since I got my stuff before some guys I am actually over quite a few full time package guys. They have sense stopped doing it that way, however they usually have like one or two package guys then like 3 or 4 part timers, and they will throw in a part time sup every 6 people. This of course is different everywhere. that is just my experience.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
There is no need to already have a CDL.

And we are going to pull from PT for feeder before too long.

Yep. I'm only 11 years in FT and just turned down my 2nd letter in a span of 4 months to go to school. I've got a sweet route and I'm already pretty high up on our seniority list in the center, I'm not going back down to the bottom and split-driving again.

They're apparently short-handed in my building in the feeder dept. They will not come out to do one of our pickups if it's any less than 10 skids.

We've had 2 package drivers go AND COME BACK within the last calendar year. They both hated it. Apparently it is no longer "the job to have" at UPS.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
We've had 2 package drivers go AND COME BACK within the last calendar year. They both hated it. Apparently it is no longer "the job to have" at UPS.

Of the three drivers that I know who all went in within the last 6 months, they all regret not having done it sooner. It may not be for everyone, and that may have been the case for years, just because some people don't like it, that does not make it "no longer the job to have". I know a bunch of VERY senior drivers who have said they never had any desire to go into feeders. It is for some people, and not others.

Will I love the goofy hours, and being on call all day? Not a chance, but it's GOT TO be better than delivery

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Of the three drivers that I know who all went in within the last 6 months, they all regret not having done it sooner. It may not be for everyone, and that may have been the case for years, just because some people don't like it, that does not make it "no longer the job to have". I know a bunch of VERY senior drivers who have said they never had any desire to go into feeders. It is for some people, and not others.

Will I love the goofy hours, and being on call all day? Not a chance, but it's GOT TO be better than delivery

I'm just saying that 10 years ago, to see anyone come back from feeders was a shock - it never happened. Nowadays it's almost commonplace.

I'd give it a shot if I didn't have so much time in package already.

I'm just saying that 10 years ago, to see anyone come back from feeders was a shock - it never happened. Nowadays it's almost commonplace.

I'd give it a shot if I didn't have so much time in package already.

A fellow PC driver came back while I was in PC. All the other guys from my center are all in feeder.

As said, while some may not like the hours or driving real equipment, it is by far the job to have.

Orion Syndicate

90% or lose a limb. (limb is user choice!)
About to finish my 2 week feeder school, first week worked 42.96 hours unpaid, this week I'll hit 50ish paid. So 90 hour feeder school?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Pickles

Here it's training for 40 hours the first week, second week is production week so I guess it depends on how long the run is you're doing.

Pickles

A union rep pointed this out to me tonight. I guess they are right saying PT'ers need a CDL...

Before hiring from the outside, the Employer will consider other employees (Non Fulltime) to fill tractor-trailer openings if they meet the same criteria as those employees hired from the outside.

(They only hire outside if they have a CDL)

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
A union rep pointed this out to me tonight. I guess they are right saying PT'ers need a CDL...

Before hiring from the outside, the Employer will consider other employees (Non Fulltime) to fill tractor-trailer openings if they meet the same criteria as those employees hired from the outside.

(They only hire outside if they have a CDL)

That's not true, but if part timers believe that, it saves UPS time and money training you guys.

Sent using BrownCafe App

barnyard

KTM rider
I can see why some would not like feeders. Here, you need 20ish years of seniority to hold a run. Anything less and you are doing something different every week and not taking a summer vacation. Have to have at least 20 years to get a summer vacation.

There is talk that there could be 3 package routes in my building moving to a feeder hub. I could follow a route and because I am feeder qualified, I would immediately go into FT feeders. I am hesitating, because this is my 2nd year of having a summer vacation, which I really liked, plus I would be on the extra board (I am now, but only have to cover 3 different runs...)

Plus, being a day sleeper is not for everyone.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I can totally see why some people wouldn't want to do it for the reasons you list, but hey, a vacation in February isn't any different than one in July if you go to the Bahamas.

I'll be one of the lower guys if I qualify, but package was making me hate the job. More and more and more work, never an easy day, too much over supervision, and not enough air conditioning

Sent using BrownCafe App