401K Performance

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
If you're close to retirement and you don't have a significant portion of your portfolio in cash/bonds especially after the last crash then you don't have a good plan. If the market drops 30% I'm in a pretty good position to take advantage of it.
I plan on living 30+ years after I retire. Pretty good chance of a rebound in that span.

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
xnnlp.jpg

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I was wondering how everybody's 401k performed in general in 2015? Mine was a dismal -0.74 percent.
401k was 4.54 % but my outside investments gathered 11.1 %.
My financial advisor was really happy when he reviewed this with me.
He said his other clients were down.
It just so happened my mix of Muni bonds and High dividend yield large cap stocks was in a sweet spot.
Who knows about next month?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Guess we'll see in six months or so.....if the market drops 30% and your 400k 401k turns into 280k....especially if your close to retirement.....that can be a real problem. I know plenty of people that "lost" half their retirement in the last crash. Yes it came back......but only after 4 trillion dollars was injected in the economy! Don't see that happening next time.....
i wonder about that a lot. since it worked on paper last time i am sure they will do it again even though we are all paying for their printing presses with inflation. even though i am retired i still havent touched my 401k.

if we have another 40 percent drop like 2008 i would try to ride it out but we would sweat it a lot more. we can get by on the pension alone but it would be scary if those losses dont come back next time.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

i wonder about that a lot. since it worked on paper last time i am sure they will do it again even though we are all paying for their printing presses with inflation. even though i am retired i still havent touched my 401k.

if we have another 40 percent drop like 2008 i would try to ride it out but we would sweat it a lot more. we can get by on the pension alone but it would be scary if those losses dont come back next time.

Gains or losses are only realized when it comes time to access your account or sell any holdings.

That's why you don't put all of your eggs in one basket.