401k returns

LarryBird

Russell 2000 index and s&p 400 for me. I may need to go 20% with sp500 and 40/40 with what I already have.

Remember, the generic personal performance figure is just YTD. You have to click a few links to custom date your performance

1/1/2018 to 12/31/2018 saw -8%. This year YTD is around 15% for me, with a 1/1/2017 to now date range sitting at 14%.

There are also monthly fees and transaction fees. I tend to keep track of actual money deducted from my paychecks and compare that figure to what the ‘account value’ shows on the website.
The fees are pretty minimal as long as you "set it and forget it", to quote Ron Popeil, are they not?

I'm asking because I've never really kept a ton of track of them, outside of a cursory reading of the terms.

MattM

The fees are definitely minimal. Like $2.06/month. But when I first started out and wanted to do a very small percentage of my paycheck, I was maybe investing $20/month. And with the $2 fee, that’s 10% gone right off the bat. I’m glad the fee isn’t based on investment amount.

Just looked at some spreadsheets, since starting my investments in early 2014, the russell and sp400 has given me about 10% overall returns. I’m not exactly qualified to know or say if that percentage is moving with inflation, or not. But the whole scoop is not so great. 2018 was a rough year with mr. trump.

Fees right now account for about 1.7% away from my 10% gains. The personal performance gauge may actually say 1.7%, so keep those fees in mind.

The fees are definitely minimal. Like $2.06/month. But when I first started out and wanted to do a very small percentage of my paycheck, I was maybe investing $20/month. And with the $2 fee, that’s 10% gone right off the bat. I’m glad the fee isn’t based on investment amount.

Just looked at some spreadsheets, since starting my investments in early 2014, the russell and sp400 has given me about 10% overall returns. I’m not exactly qualified to know or say if that percentage is moving with inflation, or not. But the whole scoop is not so great. 2018 was a rough year with mr. trump.

Fees right now account for about 1.7% away from my 10% gains. The personal performance gauge may actually say 1.7%, so keep those fees in mind.
I don't know where you are getting that number at. The fees are much lower than that.

MattM

I don't know where you are getting that number at. The fees are much lower than that.
The prudential transactions tab shows the fees as well as contributions. Literally $1.96 and $0.10 in fees each month.
————-
And bitcoin. Can one even really trade it out for true straight cash? I’ve never known of a debt collector to take bitcoin as payment. I think your buddy is lying. They call themselves millionaires but it all feels like it literally has no real world value.

The prudential transactions tab shows the fees as well as contributions. Literally $1.96 and $0.10 in fees each month.
————-
And bitcoin. Can one even really trade it out for true straight cash? I’ve never known of a debt collector to take bitcoin as payment. I think your buddy is lying. They call themselves millionaires but it all feels like it literally has no real world value.
That sounds high. I double check mine tom, I have a hard time reading the last column on my phone screen.

MattM

That sounds high. I double check mine tom, I have a hard time reading the last column on my phone screen.
And a breakdown of the $1.96 shows $0.98 going to/coming from each of my two investments. So who knows what type of total fee I’m incurring by having two allocations vs one. Or vs three or four.

I just remember making pennies and trying to be diligent. The fees weren’t quite making sense. But If you can invest $1,000/ month with a $2.06 fee vs investing $20 with the same fee, it makes sense to go all out.

Early on, my fees were matching or outdoing any gains, so I was seeing a 0% gain. I tell everyone in ups, 10-15% or it doesn’t matter.

Last edited:
And a breakdown of the $1.96 shows $0.98 going to/coming from each of my two investments. So who knows what type of total fee I’m incurring by having two allocations vs one. Or vs three or four.

I just remember making pennies and trying to be diligent. The fees weren’t quite making sense. But If you can invest $1,000/ month with a $2.06 fee vs investing $20 with the same fee, it makes sense to go all out.

Early on, my fees were matching or outdoing any gains, so I was seeing a 0% gain. I tell everyone in ups, 10-15% or it doesn’t matter.
The fee is based on your total balance. All funds no matter where you invest have fees.

The Driver

I drive.
The only number that matters this year is $19,000. No excuses.

Most people shouldn't check their account at all, it will just tempt them to do something stupid.

100% agree. At the very minimum I’m doing $19,000 in the 401(k) and $6,000 in a Roth IRA for the year. May do a separate brokerage account in addition or concentrate on paying down a mortgage should I decide to buy this year.