401k returns

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Joshm, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Eat Sleep Fish

Eat Sleep Fish Jig Master

Pay down that mortage then attack like crazy!

2. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Why? Interest rates are super low. Better to invest the excess money.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Eat Sleep Fish

I just don't like debt and want it gone as soon as I can. Just me though.

4. Brownslave688

Debt can be a great wealth driver

5. Eat Sleep Fish

It could be for the diciplined. I am the only income in my Family so I want it gone. I don't begrudge those who use it though.

6. Overpaid Union Thug

Overpaid Union Thug Well-Known Member

Yeah especially for those of us at 3.25%. But I still find myself figuring the early payoff date on my lender’s mortgage calculator. So tempting.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Eat Sleep Fish

I got locked in at 3.75 when I refinanced. Can't get much better than that now. Just pay a little extra.

8. Brownslave688

Yep I totally get the appeal but if the goal is to build long term wealth it’s better to invest it.

9. Rack em

Rack em First to worst!

I plan on buying a house soon and I am hoping to even get a 4.5% rate!

10. Eat Sleep Fish

Get a 15 year! Or pay a 30 like a 15.

11. Rack em

Rack em First to worst!

As a single guy, I don't know if I can afford to do a 15 year. I don't want to be house broke.

12. derrick

derrick Member

i put in 4% a paycheck. but i'm getting a house next year so i'll be paying the mortgage 30 years in hopefully 8 years then keep those same payments i was paying to mortgage into 401K, 401K roth , and investments for another 5 years then retire.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  13. badpal

badpal Active Member

I can actually remember feeder boys day trading thier retirement accounts and talking about thier latest dot.com stocks. A few still around and still working, so not sure how it turned out. They dont talk stocks anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  14. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

Yup, I was still in delivery and I remember drivers taking the day off so they could stay home and day trade. Most of them lost their ass when it all went down, but at least they still had a job.

15. Maple Grove MN Driver

Maple Grove MN Driver Cocaine Mang!

The ones that lost their ass had no business day trading to begin with

16. Pickles

Pickles Member

I hit my $19,000 this week plus an extra 5% every week for the year in after tax.

Nothing but big paychecks the rest of the year!

17. The Driver

The Driver I drive.

Since you have experience with this, can you keep adding to your account beyond the $19,000 and just not get the tax benefits? Up to $56,000 I thought.

18. Pickles

Pickles Member

I think after age 50 you can go to $24,000? As far as I know the max after tax you can do is 5% all year long.

I do 40% and once I hit $19,000 the 5% after tax continues and the 35% stops.

19. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

Start a free account with M1 Finance, it's a piece of cake and you set up a portfolio any you want, you can even just mirror your 401k if you're happy with that.

20. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

some of the funds are pulling down some good gains but i suggest you don't put all your eggs in one basket especially if you are nearing retirement age.

we have our 401k in 7 different funds. the good equity index funds, the international fund ( 20% ) a REIT index fund 5%. a precious metals index fund , some bond funds and about 15% in the SMA. If there is an eventual pull back in equities then precious metals and other funds go up and make it less painful.

The SMA is mostly blue chip stocks that have high yielding dividends.