4th day as package hander with 4 trucks!

watdaflock?

My supervisor helped on the 4th truck but only sat the packages beside the truck I had to load all four. Is there any tips or any advice worth helping me along? Thanks guys :)
No, you're doing fine.

*How long are sups allowed to "train" new hires? How does a sup pulling packages count as training?

Today was hard. Really hard. Today marks my 4th day as a package handler and I was given 4 trucks. It was really the hardest day of my life but I did it. My supervisor helped on the 4th truck but only sat the packages beside the truck I had to load all four. I cried a little when I got home from Literally being overwhelmed. Is there any tips or any advice worth helping me along? Also, I want to move up and make this a career. How long would I have to be a package handler before I can be a driver helper... or driver. Thanks guys :)

Getting through the first 4 weeks is the key. You will stop being so overwhelmed. If your trucks were 300+ packages then it probably won't continue. If your trucks were 100-200 then it probably will continue. So long as you are assigned the same trucks every night you will get used to the stops and how to load with minimal stack outs. There are a lot of variables. When the busy season really hits nobody will get in your way about being a driver helper. My last understanding is the 60 hour work rule is (supposedly) enforced meaning preload hours + driver helper hours cannot exceed 12 per day. Again once it gets really busy nobody is going to stand in your way.

trickpony1

The sad part is the OP may think a 4 car pull is normal and every preloader has 4 cars. I'm sure the company wants her to think so.

When I was a preloader I had 3, not 4, 3.

Mr300PPH

Good luck man! Doing PT Package handler work for 3 weeks here in AZ, with non-insulated trailers hitting 120+friend! My body is definitely getting acclimated to the grueling work in pre-load and it will be worth it! Hit that PPH brother!

DeliveryMachine

The first thing you need to do is STOP CARING. If you can’t load 4 trucks by yourself, let it build up. Just stack out. Create a disaster and then laugh at your supervisor and ask them why on earth they piled so much work on you. If you let a disaster occur everytime you have 4 trucks. You will not be given 4 trucks again. This is UPS. No one cares here except the rookies. This isn’t like other jobs. At this place we enjoy watching smile* hit the fan

PT Car Washer

I guess it's about time again that I told you all how tough we had it back when I worked
I was around back when you were employed and the work load today is 10X what is was back then. And the ability to track you where you are and what you are doing every minute of the day. No more jacking up the rear wheels of the package car, putting it in gear and play cards for an hour while the miles roll up. Or how about padding your stops by sheeting up non existent deliveries. Any more tricks you want to divulge about how tough you had it back then.

AwashBwashCwash

The first thing you need to do is STOP CARING. If you can’t load 4 trucks by yourself, let it build up. Just stack out. Create a disaster and then laugh at your supervisor and ask them why on earth they piled so much work on you. If you let a disaster occur everytime you have 4 trucks. You will not be given 4 trucks again. This is UPS. No one cares here except the rookies. This isn’t like other jobs. At this place we enjoy watching smile* hit the fan

That's really not good advice until she reaches seniority.
They just fired a guy at my center the other day for "stepping on a box" while he was unloading the trailer.
Of course they just fire you if they don't like you for whatever reason and make up the reason afterwards, but it's still surprising just how fast the guillotine can fall.
Thank God there were staffing issues when I was brought on and basically attained seniority by default. I can't imagine trying to step through that field of landmines when they're looking for any reason at all to drop the hammer.

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
Let one of the trucks back way up all day .. sups will get the hint. Put the ball in their court.

Best advice you will get on here. If you show that you can do 4 everyday then expect to do 1.5 jobs for the price of one. Start letting one truck back up as suggest and they will get the hint eventually. It's not about wether you can, make or female or how fast you can go. It's about the simple mantra WORK SMARTER NOT HARDER.

Lt. Senpai

Swing Driver
Today was hard. Really hard. Today marks my 4th day as a package handler and I was given 4 trucks. It was really the hardest day of my life but I did it. My supervisor helped on the 4th truck but only sat the packages beside the truck I had to load all four. I cried a little when I got home from Literally being overwhelmed. Is there any tips or any advice worth helping me along? Also, I want to move up and make this a career. How long would I have to be a package handler before I can be a driver helper... or driver. Thanks guys :)
My advice to you is to speak up or they will constantly do this to you.