Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
Ahhh, I remember these days. I used to abuse my helper like a rented mule back when I was a split driver. I even let them buy me lunch or bring me cigarettes and coffee. After all, you have to pay for the pleasure of my company. :devil3::devil3::devil3:

Now management gives me a casual driver every peak because I no longer have the time or the type of route to train or babysit some :censored2:.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Taking lunch with a helper on car is a waste of time, especially if the helper is sitting there for up to an hour, unpaid.

What does one do? They start helper at 11 am. The company is free to start the helper earlier like the old days when they left with you in the morning. Or, pay me to work through lunch. They won't, so we can't.

Pooter

It probably varies by center but in mine they ask you what time u want the helper to start so I plan breaks accordingly.

During peak I take my lunch after 5pm since I've used up all daylight and it's cold by then. At that point I just want to sit somewhere warm.

I let my helper choose when to take the 2 10min breaks I get.

Ouch

Always give the helper the house the dog dog runs out from behind while on the way back to the truck.:cool_dog:

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
It probably varies by center but in mine they ask you what time u want the helper to start so I plan breaks accordingly.

During peak I take my lunch after 5pm since I've used up all daylight and it's cold by then. At that point I just want to sit somewhere warm.

I let my helper choose when to take the 2 10min breaks I get.
Ain't nobody got time for break come peak.

You've Got Mail

I was told to expect a call this morning between 7:30 and 9 but it's almost 10 and still nothing. I'm supposed to start helping today. They start at 11 am? I guess I should be getting that call any minute...

You've Got Mail

867-5309. Ask for Jenny she has all the answers you seek.

She, rather THEY, called and I came in to...introduce...myself...Said I'd be getting paid orientation pay for the day. What is that? Also said to expect a call Mon or Tues, most likely Tues. He said he hopes I'm a fast learner and good with directions lol :/

Areyoukiddinme

best 2 weeks ever
in my area the helpers are expected to drive to the driver, i would have them park where we finish the day drop them at their car as them how long it took to get there and add that on to the time card, it would usually be half an hour i thought that was fair.

JL 0513

Most helpers are indeed dirt poor. It's usually unemployed people naturally, since they're able to take a 3-4 week temp job. Most of my helpers came with totally empty wallets. Some had no transportation. Some didn't even have a cell phone.

Any decent driver should be generous to them, particularly if you are top rate. Any tip or bought lunch is a big deal to them.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If I work 12 hours mon thru Thursday I can work 12 more on Friday. If I work 14 then I'm off by 3 on Friday.
....which for me would mean that the 75 missed stops that I brought back early on Friday would simply get rolled in over the top of an already hopeless dispatch the following Monday. Once I let the missed stops start snowballing, the problem compounds upon itself and I wind up getting buried in pile that might take until early January to dig out from under. I would much rather work five 12hr days than four 13's and an 8 on Friday, its way easier on my sanity.

HardknocksUPSer

#1--Thou shalt make safety thy first concern.

On day 1, I always give my helper a 5 min lecture on staying safe. That means NO RUNNING, PERIOD. That means 100% use of the handrail when entering or exiting, no exceptions. That means that, if I screw up and start the engine before they have the seatbelt buckled, they are to YELL at me to STOP. We are in a HURRY, which means I dont have time to take them to the hospital if they get injured. There is always time to do the job safely, and no package is ever worth getting hurt or killed over.

#2 Thou shalt treat thine helper with respect.

I treat my helper as a teammate, not a slave. Out of necessity I must be the boss, but I dont have to be an ass about it. When instructing them what to do, I throw in a few "please's" and "thank you's" here and there to keep things friendly. I encourage them to be an extra set of eyes and to never be afraid to tell me if they think I am at the wrong address. I screw up sometimes, especially under peak season conditions, and I'm not afraid to admit it. My helper gets a "high five" if they call me on giving them the wrong package for the stop. Most importantly...if I am frustrated or upset with management or with the workload in general, I dont take it out on them. Its not the helpers fault that the load is crap or that my boss is a maroon.

#3 Thou shalt see to it that thine helper is properly paid for their time

If you lack the willingess to pull over and take a 1/2 hour lunch and 15 min break....then at least allow your helper to do so. Or...dont enter a lunch at all on their time card. Whatever you do, make sure they are fully paid for every minute they spend working. They are barely making minimum wage, you make 4 or even 5 times what they do on OT, so dont screw them out of 15 minutes of pay just so that you can look better on a stupid report. I also give my helpers my phone # and instruct them to notify me of any payroll errors or shortages on their check. If my helper gets shorted, I make it my personal mission in life to find whoever is responsible and ride their ass like a dirty diaper if necessary until the problem gets corrected. For $9 an hour they shouldnt have to call a 1-800 number and argue about getting paid properly.

#4 Thou shalt not place unrealistic expectations upon thine helper

I've been a driver for 24 years. I know how to operate at the "UPS pace". A newly hired helper doesnt. They cant read my mind. What comes automatically to me is new to them. They probably have little or no useful DIAD training, and the first day on a blown-out package car can seem overwhelming to them. Be patient. They will pick things up faster if you are understanding and helpful instead of impatient and critical. Respect any physical limits your helper may have. I have had 100 lb gals who needed my help with heavy packages, but who were still going strong after 10 hrs and were far better helpers than the "he-men" with big muscles who got lazy and crapped out on me after 4 or 5. And if you have a female helper who needs more "bathroom stops" than you do...deal with it. I always communicate with my helper about the location of nearby restrooms, and if they gotta go they gotta go. It is totally inappropriate to expect a helper of either gender to pee in the bushes or go 8 hrs with no bathroom break just because you can.

#5 Thou shalt share thine tips and buy thine helper lunch.

Helpers are making barely more than minimum wage. Drivers make 5 times that much on overtime. If I have a helper who is hustling and working hard, then the occasional $5 or $10 bill that comes to me in a card from a customer gets handed to them. When we stop at a restraunt for lunch, I pick up the tab for both of us. I have had a lot of helpers who were literally broke (why else would they work for minimum wage) and they show up with some nasty cold lunch in a brown bag. I am not going to sit in a warm restraunt and eat yummy food while they sit in the cold truck and eat leftovers. That's not teamwork.

Thou shalt obey these commandments without question, or karma will kick your ass!
Love these commandments, rule #1 i am on the fence about as far as no running is concerned, I'm ready to get done and go home ASAP after working preload that morning, if I don't run I get no sleep before preload the next morning.

Johney

I have even gone as far as to give my helper gas money to make sure they will make it the following day.(if they were worthy of it)

JL 0513

Yeah, from what I've seen they are usually flat broke. Not only do they often not have a car meaning I have to pick then up at their house everyday, but one's I've had didn't even have cell phones. I've had to communicate with a third party (relative) in order to just set a p/u time. And of course, no cash on hand for lunch and no packed lunch because they didn't have food in the house either.

You compare that to what we're making, the helper should keep ALL the tips.

Taking a chance of posting on the clock and getting caught isn't a good look. Most people are very anonymous unlike myself. The management in my area is usually pretty caught up to speed what my name is on here. Most don't roll like that which is probably a good idea. I will also add that I have figured out quite a lot of people's identities on this site. If I can do it so can corporate and management. There are a lot of people who have been terminated from posting on Facebook Twitter Instagram and yes hellfire the brown cafe.

It's never in anyone's best interests to post on the clock when they are working and being paid by ups or any employer.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
Taking a chance of posting on the clock and getting caught isn't a good look. Most people are very anonymous unlike myself. The management in my area is usually pretty caught up to speed what my name is on here. Most don't roll like that which is probably a good idea. I will also add that I have figured out quite a lot of people's identities on this site. If I can do it so can corporate and management. There are a lot of people who have been terminated from posting on Facebook Twitter Instagram and yes hellfire the brown cafe.

It's never in anyone's best interests to post on the clock when they are working and being paid by ups or any employer.
where did this come from?