5 Commandments for using a helper (On Topic)

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by soberups, Dec 18, 2011.

1. haller

haller Well-Known Member

Yep and seeing smiles on people as they receive their packages.

2. Damn. Better get my legs ready. lol

3. Box Ox

Box Ox Well-Known Member

I'd only drop a helper off if I were coming back in his/her direction. Like if I gave 'em packages for 218, 220, 221 and I wanted to hit 237 at the end of a cul-de-sac while they do it.

Otherwise, we're both delivering if it's tight or I'm stopped and sorting the next 5 stops while the helper delivers. No running after the truck stuff. Helpers deserve better than that.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  4. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

It seems like a relevant topic to reintroduce every November.

5. At my center there is a reminder that says "Helpers are humans not robots". I like that. I have a question though, do they put female helpers with male drivers and vice versa? I'm just wondering cause I would prefer to be with the same gender. But I can manage if it weren't that way.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • List
  6. haller

haller Well-Known Member

Have you gone out yet? Have your icy hot ready for the temporary back pain. The jump seat does not fully support the spine.

7. Box Ox

Box Ox Well-Known Member

Gender isn't considered in helper assignment as far as I know. But driver requests for specific helpers are generally honored. If a female driver knows you, speak up about it.

Sometimes certain helpers become known as all stars and the highest seniority driver requesting them gets to keep them.

I was a helper for a few years before coming on board as a part timer. Was a great experience with both female and male drivers. But I can definitely see how a female helper could get uncomfortable. It's a male dominated profession and smoke show helpers are noticed.

8. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Well-Known Member

We had a female helper accuse a male driver of sexual harassment. That coupled with other "errors" earned him his walking papers.

9. I know a few female drivers I would love to be helpers for. I just don't know how to ask them or tell them.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • List
  10. Box Ox

Box Ox Well-Known Member

Just ask. If the drivers are anything like me, they'd much prefer a volunteer to ask them and have some certainty now than play the lottery with an off street seasonal.

11. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Seriously? Why would that matter? Is it 1940?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  12. Box Ox

Box Ox Well-Known Member

Some guys think it's 1940 if they get a hot helper.

13. haller

haller Well-Known Member

No one going to chime in on the jump seat? It needs to have the devil beaten out of it.

14. Box Ox

Box Ox Well-Known Member

I'm gonna try to make mine the nicest in my center. Wrap it up in Christmas lights and a mattress topper or something. Appeal to the helper's butt comfort and holiday spirit in case we're still way short on helpers when stuff hits the fan and they get to choose their driver.

15. soberups

soberups Pees in the brown Koolaid

I could care less what gender my helper was as long as they did the job. Although I generally had better luck with females, they tended to be more reliable and detail-oriented than the guys. When you have less upper body strength you learn to work smarter not harder. It seemed like I had a harder time getting the guys to listen and pay attention.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. Brownslave688

Brownslave688 You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Then they should be dealt with. Most of us are here to work and go home. End of story.

If the helper is looking to be harassed they are gonna read into things weather it's actually happening or not.

17. I don't feel comfortable with the idea of being a helper for a male driver. that's why I was asking. personal reasons. But if i must be put with a male driver, I'll :censored2:ing deal with it. Thanks for the answers.

18. bleedinbrown58

bleedinbrown58 ahhh....the mouth breathers

If you want the extra work....Get over it. Most drivers are not going to risk losing their $100k a year job just to sexually harassing their female helper.

19. Future

Future Victory Ride

If you can go to the right house I don't care if your a u unicorn ....get over yourself

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

Who has the time. Get done and go home.