60 hour rule violation?

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I have found that anything over 8 hours of OT is basically lost in taxes.

You may think it's lost to taxes that week because it will be taxed at the higher rate for those earnings. When you file your overall effective tax rate will be lower and some of it will be returned. If you work lots of of disregard this info. :)

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
The more overtime you have on a paycheck, the higher your tax rate will be. You're actually making less per hour, with overtime included, the longer your week is.

Take a week's net dollar amount. Divide your total deductions (fed, state, FICA, Medicare) by your net total. If your hours were low, (40/45) say on a vacay check, the percentage might be as low as 32%, depending on your particular W4 deductions.

Now, compare that to a 50/55/60 hour check and you'll see that percentage, that goes to taxes etc., climb higher with each OT hour you work. Yes, you'll make more money, but as you do, Uncle Sam is also getting an increasingly higher amount away from you.

So, if your peak check is $200 higher, your taxes are probably increasing by $150 at the same time. Working over 60 hours, just to get kicked harder in the nuts. Screw that :censored2:.
that is another reason why you should max out your 401k and IRA's if possible.

and after you retire you will be taxed at a lower rate when you withdraw from the 401k since your pension with be less than half of your FT wages.

Ms.PacMan

The more overtime you have on a paycheck, the higher your tax rate will be. You're actually making less per hour, with overtime included, the longer your week is.

Take a week's net dollar amount. Divide your total deductions (fed, state, FICA, Medicare) by your net total. If your hours were low, (40/45) say on a vacay check, the percentage might be as low as 32%, depending on your particular W4 deductions.

Now, compare that to a 50/55/60 hour check and you'll see that percentage, that goes to taxes etc., climb higher with each OT hour you work. Yes, you'll make more money, but as you do, Uncle Sam is also getting an increasingly higher amount away from you.

So, if your peak check is $200 higher, your taxes are probably increasing by $150 at the same time. Working over 60 hours, just to get kicked harder in the nuts. Screw that :censored2:.

ANNUAL tax returns. It will all work out at the end of the year when you file your taxes.

I have found that anything over 8 hours of OT is basically lost in taxes.
It's only temporary and I know that you know this because you've posted that before.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
ANNUAL tax returns. It will all work out at the end of the year when you file your taxes.

It's only temporary and I know that you know this because you've posted that before.

Great points, and I'll agree with you on the general concept. The issue I have, is mostly about the over 60 hours at work. No investment, no hourly rate, no future payoff, can replace the time with your family. And, what if you're maxing your 401K out at 50 hours a week? I'd think the folks that do max out, as a rule, are already doing so without a 70 hour week. Then how great will the higher tax rate on those hours be?

MC4YOU2

that is another reason why you should max out your 401k and IRA's if possible.

and after you retire you will be taxed at a lower rate when you withdraw from the 401k since your pension with be less than half of your FT wages.

Maxing out your 401K is great. I worked with guys that did just that, and they were never asked, or forced, to come in to work after a 60 hour week.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Maxing out your 401K is great. I worked with guys that did just that, and they were never asked, or forced, to come in to work after a 60 hour week.

One of the first things my son did when he got his first "real" job was to start his 401k. His employer offers a full match to 4% and an additional 1% if he goes to 6%. He is at 10% and, at age 29, should have close to a million when he retires, assuming he stays at 10% and the match is still in place.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Great points, and I'll agree with you on the general concept. The issue I have, is mostly about the over 60 hours at work. No investment, no hourly rate, no future payoff, can replace the time with your family. And, what if you're maxing your 401K out at 50 hours a week? I'd think the folks that do max out, as a rule, are already doing so without a 70 hour week. Then how great will the higher tax rate on those hours be?

The maximum amount that you can contribute annually to a 401k is set by the IRS. This year's limit is $18.5K with an additional $5.5K "catch up" for those 50 or older.

If you are maxing out your 401k and reach the limit before the end of the year your contributions are stopped so it is best to try to calculate the average contribution that you should have withheld each week over the 52 weeks.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

In the long run you'll pay in taxes what you should pay in taxes.

Under this logic maybe ups should just pay us $10 an hour so we won't have to pay the big bad tax man so much. Smh

jaker

trolling

I really hate this saying , it might be true if you got kids but if you don't you are screwed during the year and when you do your taxes

I pay 9800 in federal last year I got back 1200 so how do you get it back at the end of year ,

Brownslave688

I really hate this saying , it might be true if you got kids but if you don't you are screwed during the year and when you do your taxes

I pay 9800 in federal last year I got back 1200 so how do you get it back at the end of year ,
You over paid by $1200 so you got that much back at the end of the year...

upsman88

If you are a full time driver they can not force you in to unload trailers. Our center manager told me I could pick up a broom last Saturday when I requested 8 I told him that if it didn't have anything to do with delivering pkgs then i wasn't gonna do it. So I sat in the oms office till my time was up

Brownslave688

Not if you value your family time and your taxes increase to an unreasonable level, over 60 hours.
Your taxes don't magically increase that's the point. You'll get back anything you overpaid because of a few big paychecks.

I said I totally get not wanting the hours and wanting family time. If you understand how taxes work though they simply are not part of the equation.

MC4YOU2

Your tax rate increases if your income does. Yes, you'll get it back, if you're income doesn't put you through to the next tier. I tracked this closely with a coworker who shunned OT through my career, so I have first hand experience. We had similar deductions and he made almost as much as I did even though I far, far, outstripped him in OT. Maybe 100 hours over a given year.

It's easier to keep money that the taxman doesn't take than it is to get it back.

You can always make more money at UPS, or elsewhere. You can't make more time.