7 days will be here after peak 2019

bacha29

Yes, yes, we’ve heard. Damn near daily. For years.

It’s a miracle Ground even exists anymore.
And the reason I bring it up is because I believe that out there is where the weakness of the network lies and could prove to be where the destruction of the network begins. Too many miles not enough stops too hard to access too destructive to vehicles.

dmac1

I don't work for Fred. I work for my customers. And 30 an hour is no problem in a high density area. Ttku.... BTW envelopes and packages pays me the same.:happy2:
If you are a contractor, Fred IS your customer. If you drive for a contractor, you don't have any customers. You have an employer. If you are thinking that the people you deliver to are your customers, you are wrong. They are Fred's customers.

bacha29

I don't work for Fred. I work for my customers. And 30 an hour is no problem in a high density area. Ttku.... BTW envelopes and packages pays me the same.:happy2:
As long as Fat Freddy or a Fat Freddy authorized officer signs your paycheck.....you work for Fat Freddy.

sadmanhere

freddy should have left europe alone and Asia alone. instead he should have bend over for besos and taken one for the team. if fedex had amazon volume , took back smartpost....imagine the density in ground! 7 days 365 baby of tight routes!

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
If you are a contractor, Fred IS your customer. If you drive for a contractor, you don't have any customers. You have an employer. If you are thinking that the people you deliver to are your customers, you are wrong. They are Fred's customers.

Clarification: the people he delivers to are the customers of the shipper, who is usually the one paying for the service.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Yes. Please do. Your rants to me sound like nothing more than sour grapes. A guy who always has and will always try to believe that he is somehow better than me.

I’ve been laughing at you kind for years.
Bad day at the office?

Nothing personal intended Sammy but Fred wants all you contractors to be his bitch.

Like all things with Fred, it’ll get worse. Don’t say I didn’t warn ‘ya!

bbsam

Staff member
Bad day at the office?

Nothing personal intended Sammy but Fred wants all you contractors to be his bitch.

Like all things with Fred, it’ll get worse. Don’t say I didn’t warn ‘ya!
Worse? I wouldn’t say it’s gotten worse over the years. More of the same all of the time.

bacha29

Worse? I wouldn’t say it’s gotten worse over the years. More of the same all of the time.
When Fat Freddy took over one of the first things to begin fading was the line that defined what is an employee and what is a contractor. When it came to the divestiture of risk liability and variable costs you were a contractor. But when it came to command and control over how you perform you were an employee. And now with Ground looking to become Freddy's one trick pony the supervision and oversight could become even more strict and unbending.

bbsam

Staff member
When Fat Freddy took over one of the first things to begin fading was the line that defined what is an employee and what is a contractor. When it came to the divestiture of risk liability and variable costs you were a contractor. But when it came to command and control over how you perform you were an employee. And now with Ground looking to become Freddy's one trick pony the supervision and oversight could become even more strict and unbending.
Maybe. Maybe I’m just used to it. Could be I only show up for a paycheck.

I’ll take upper middle class over lower middle class. I’ll even sell off a third of my business every 5 years until I reach 65.

It may not fit what you define as contracting and it’s good that you got out.

I’ll take the money.

bacha29

As I said before I would have stayed and might been receptive to expanding but when they demanded that the private S - Corp which I was owner and president was ordered to turn over it's payroll records which are confidential and protected by privacy laws for their audit and review it became quite clear that US law wasn't going to stop them from doing whatever they damn well pleased in order to protect their interests and where they were going to stop in the protection of those interests was something nobody knew and an open question. For me and others that was the final straw because it was a clear message that there was simply no limit as to how far they would go to protect their interests.

It will be fine

Maybe. Maybe I’m just used to it. Could be I only show up for a paycheck.

I’ll take upper middle class over lower middle class. I’ll even sell off a third of my business every 5 years until I reach 65.

It may not fit what you define as contracting and it’s good that you got out.

I’ll take the money.
I actually think management has gotten better in day to day interactions. There aren’t many left from before the ISP model. All the new guys have come up dealing with fleet manager instead of truck drivers.

Corporate management has gotten much worse. The greed is obscene, they don’t care about taking contracts away. There’s no appreciation for the investments contractors have made or any acknowledgment of any skill required to operate well. It’s shortsighted but not surprising.

XEQaF

I guess some contractors have the ability to turn the other cheek over and over for a few bucks and an uncertain determination of who's going to control their future and at what cost. For me the only way to win was to lose it all and watch them fumble their way with trying to rebuild. Even if I had to wash floors at Walmart I'm a better person for it

bbsam

Staff member
I guess some contractors have the ability to turn the other cheek over and over for a few bucks and an uncertain determination of who's going to control their future and at what cost. For me the only way to win was to lose it all and watch them fumble their way with trying to rebuild. Even if I had to wash floors at Walmart I'm a better person for it
I suppose if your job defines who you believe you are, yes.

bbsam

Staff member
I actually think management has gotten better in day to day interactions. There aren’t many left from before the ISP model. All the new guys have come up dealing with fleet manager instead of truck drivers.

Corporate management has gotten much worse. The greed is obscene, they don’t care about taking contracts away. There’s no appreciation for the investments contractors have made or any acknowledgment of any skill required to operate well. It’s shortsighted but not surprising.
I’ve only seen one contract taken and it was probably well deserved.

But you’re right. Local management has gotten much better.

I always thought it was local management that aimed to take contractors out. Do you believe it comes more from above?

It will be fine

I’ve only seen one contract taken and it was probably well deserved.

But you’re right. Local management has gotten much better.

I always thought it was local management that aimed to take contractors out. Do you believe it comes more from above?
At least the district level. I work out of two districts. I’ve seen contracts taken in both, probably a half dozen over the last few years. One of the district managers seems to enjoy it. He apparently thinks fear is a good motivator. The reality is it just forces contractors to give the appearance of compliance. It encourages dishonesty and mistrust. In that building there isn’t a contractor left that would do anything above and beyond, and it used to be a great building. Everyone just covers themselves.
I think the good local terminal managers don’t want a new contractor unless it’s really needed. There’s one CSA that has been a dumpster fire forever. I’ve seen 3 contractors try to handle it and none have been successful. Fedex will keep taking it and giving it away expecting different results.