7 days will be here after peak 2019

bacha29

HD. It’s residential delivery only for now. They are going to rebrand HD/smartpost as e-commerce and pay us the lower stop rate for all e-commerce stops.
Shifting to a 7/365 operation won't be the hard part........Getting the money out of Fat Freddy........ Now that's going to be the hard part.
Committing billions in spending to Asia and Europe only to see trade tensions and rising European nationalism now leaves Fat Freddy standing there with his thumb up his bodily orifice with Ground his only remaining sure bet.

Star B

White Lightening
When I came off road last night, which is during the pm sort, I had about 12 international envelopes with no documentation. I tried to copy each label, but our new copier took (no exaggeration) 10 minutes to turn on and warm up. Then it had to load some extra software. Then it required an authorized log-in. Of course, my badge didn’t work.

I just skipped it and explained it to the person handling internationals. It is totally and mind numbingly crazy. It’s a good thing we’re not in a hurry during sort.
There's a "guest login" button on those new copiers.

TUT

Express used to have Sunday service back in 2001.

For free? It really depends on how they are going to treat the weekend, if it is just like any other day, volumes will be different.

Also I read in the same release Smart Post looks to be going away? Good, that service wasn't good enough.

Some other programs on the horizon, lots of changes from the sounds of it.

Star B

White Lightening
Also I read in the same release Smart Post looks to be going away? Good, that service wasn't good enough.
Agreed. SmartPost was HATED. Stuff would sit for days "in transit" while they were waiting for enough to ship to the post office to make it worthwhile.

You just can't do that. You have to keep it moving to keep people happy.

zeev

Load ground up like worker ants over size 7 days a week min. Wage no benefits where do I sign up. Protect all the vps and managing directors at all costs.

It will be fine

Load ground up like worker ants over size 7 days a week min. Wage no benefits where do I sign up. Protect all the vps and managing directors at all costs.
Judging by the salaries thread my Ground drivers are making more at my starting rate. The top guys that work 6 days are making substantially more.

It will be fine

What's your starting rate and what do your 6 day guys make?
They start at $40k, 45 if they earn their bonus, my guys that have been running 6 days more often than not are on pace for mid 60s this year, it’ll depend on how aggressive they want to be during peak and if they want to keep doing 6 days all year. Schedules will have to change somehow with 7 day operation but who knows what the volume will be. I’m thinking I’ll only need a couple guys to cover my whole area on Sunday.

It will be fine

True. I mean I hope the train wreck is contained within the major metropolitan areas.
That’ll be me. I don’t think it’ll be too big of a deal. The problem will be with loaders. Today was a mess with no loaders and Monday’s aren’t any better. I can’t imagine Fedex will have enough staff on Sunday.

MAKAVELI

They start at $40k, 45 if they earn their bonus, my guys that have been running 6 days more often than not are on pace for mid 60s this year, it’ll depend on how aggressive they want to be during peak and if they want to keep doing 6 days all year. Schedules will have to change somehow with 7 day operation but who knows what the volume will be. I’m thinking I’ll only need a couple guys to cover my whole area on Sunday.
Salary numbers mean absolutely nothing without an actual hourly rate.

It will be fine

You contractors are hilarious. No two routes are the same . I guess if you found suckers, more power to you.
You think a kid in his 20’s working less than 40 hours/week making $50k/year is a sucker? I think a man in their 40s making $35k/year is a much bigger sucker, but that’s me.

MAKAVELI

You think a kid in his 20’s working less than 40 hours/week making $50k/year is a sucker? I think a man in their 40s making $35k/year is a much bigger sucker, but that’s me.
I don't know anyone at Express working Full-time making 35k a year. But I do know couriers that have hit 100k+, of which I'm getting close this year. The sucker is one who works for a contractor who pays by salary regardless of how many hours it takes to do the route. Aka @OrioN .

bacha29

You contractors are hilarious. No two routes are the same . I guess if you found suckers, more power to you.
If you are fortunate enough to be in a prosperous, high population density, high percapita income, high percapita consumption, area where your tires never come in contact with an unpaved surface an XG contractor might be able to offer a compensation package that might get within shouting distance of what UPS pays if your employee is willing to damn near kill himself out there and work a reported 70 hours a week actually working closer to 80 .
But go out into rural America it's another story. At the same time if you were to look at the job boards and the desperate contractors crying for the cheap labor that sustains them, looked at their offers, run some simple math you'll see that it comes down to about $15 an hour all straight time with little meaningful benefits or no benefits at all.
It's by and large fast food/retail wages and if you never run out of that type of laborer you'll make it as a contractor but for how much longer that's something you the contractor will find out sooner or later.

It will be fine

I don't know anyone at Express working Full-time making 35k a year. But I do know couriers that have hit 100k+, of which I'm getting close this year. The sucker is one who works for a contractor who pays by salary regardless of how many hours it takes to do the route. Aka @OrioN .
People work at different paces. Many people enjoy the security of knowing what their paycheck will be every week. If that’s not for you, great keep milking a clock, a lot of guys want to get in and out as fast as possible and make money. It’s all about motivation.