70 hours

So I get this is a summary, but what I gather is only the first 2 hours spent as a helper don't count against DOT hours. So, for example: I logged ~55 hours driving last week. Which means @IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U's interpretation of Art 26.5 would be correct. We were not approved for 70, I had less than 8 hours available for Sat, and per Art 26.5 I could not be forced to work a 6th punch.
All hours worked counts against your DOT hours.

Whither

Scofflaw
So I get this is a summary, but what I gather is only the first 2 hours spent as a helper don't count against DOT hours.

Honestly, on second thought, I don't think working as a helper would be a 'free' 2 non-DOT hours for UPS. Since as helpers we're not just riding along in the passenger seat of a moving commercial vehicle but constantly getting out and working.

Whither

Scofflaw
It wouldn't be.

Since I'm T-S, I'm probably still screwed, right? E.g., last week. Scheduled M-S. M is a regular day off. ~54 hours on the clock by Fri punch out. But Sat is my regularly scheduled day. So then they could force me to report and work less than 8, right up to my DOT hours, correct?

What I don't understand is this specification of "RPCDs red-circled under Art 22.4(b)" ... because that language clearly addresses T-S drivers.

542thruNthru

Since I'm T-S, I'm probably still screwed, right? E.g., last week. Scheduled M-S. M is a regular day off. ~54 hours on the clock by Fri punch out. But Sat is my regularly scheduled day. So then they could force me to report and work less than 8, right up to my DOT hours, correct?

T-S is tricky. Technically Monday is your Sunday but DOT hours do not follow a M-Sun work week. It's a Rolling 7 or 8 days. Bring it up to your BA.

What I don't understand is this specification of "RPCDs red-circled under Art 22.4(b)" ... because that language clearly addresses T-S drivers.

I have to admit reading that has confused me as well. What I believe its saying is RPCDs. Because 22.4(b) is the article that establishes what a RPCD is. So 22.4s may not even be covered under that 8 hour rule. Again ask your BA.

Sorry for the confusion. This new class of driver and language has been hell this year.

Whither

Scofflaw
I have to admit reading that has confused me as well. What I believe its saying is RPCDs. Because 22.4(b) is the article that establishes what a RPCD is. So 22.4s may not even be covered under that 8 hour rule. Again ask your BA.

Sorry for the confusion. This new class of driver and language has been hell this year.

Yeah, definitely calling the BA tmrw. The only reference to "RPCDs red-circled under Art 22.4(b)" I find in that location is "Those RPCDs currently working Tuesday through Saturday shall be red circled by name and shall continue to be covered under Article 41, Section 2."

Whither

Scofflaw
@542thruNthru I'm suspecting to hear from the BA that this key sentence does not protect M-friend RPCDs, since you all are not "red-circled under Art 22.4(b)" and although it would seem to be intended to protect us T-S RPCDs, who are red-circled and "covered under Art 41.2", it doesn't protect us at all and is just a dead letter of "the greatest contract ever."

542thruNthru

@542thruNthru I'm suspecting to hear from the BA that this key sentence does not protect M-friend RPCDs, since you all are not "red-circled under Art 22.4(b)" and although it would seem to be intended to protect us T-S RPCDs, who are red-circled and "covered under Art 41.2", it doesn't protect us at all and is just a dead letter of "the greatest contract ever."

I highly doubt it but I've been wrong before.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
@542thruNthru and @Whither

I've already talked to my local regarding the language in 22.4b. The understanding I came away with is that "red circled" means any rpcd jobs that existed when the contract was ratified. Those are the ones that are protected from being converted to 22.4 jobs.

Whither

Scofflaw
@542thruNthru and @Whither

I've already talked to my local regarding the language in 22.4b. The understanding I came away with is that "red circled" means any rpcd jobs that existed when the contract was ratified. Those are the ones that are protected from being converted to 22.4 jobs.

Good to know. Will still see what my BA says tmrw. Have no idea if my RPCD job existed when the contract was ratified as I wasn't hired til June 2019.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
The sections of 22.4b that protect rpcd's only apply to buildings with 22.4 drivers.The question I have is does that mean this part of 26.5 only applies to centers that have 22.4's?

Whither

Scofflaw
The sections of 22.4b that protect rpcd's only apply to buildings with 22.4 drivers.The question I have is does that mean this part of 26.5 only applies to centers that have 22.4's?

Good question. We have at least a few now at my building. But ugh, all these legalities.