70 hours

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

wtf are you talking about? i asked you to show me where in the contract it shows that they can force you in to be a helper.

IT AIN'T IN THE CONTRACT!!

The DOT HOS covers this extensively which is why there was no need to duplicate that language in the NMA.

You are allowed to work up to 2 hours per day after you have run out of driving hours so, yes, they can "force" you to come in and sit in the jump seat to get your 70.

What'dyabringmetoday???

The DOT HOS covers this extensively which is why there was no need to duplicate that language in the NMA.

You are allowed to work up to 2 hours per day after you have run out of driving hours so, yes, they can "force" you to come in and sit in the jump seat to get your 70.
And please share where this 2 hour language is- just so everyone knows.

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I'm disappointed to hear someone like you say this.

I've always respected you opinions.

Feeder drivers in my Local, offset any minor things like this.... cleaning their tractor.

I understand there are almost no other jobs where I could drive a truck and make $125k+ per year, but I just don't understand how/why they would want to leave this so open to interpretation.

I went through three UAW contracts, taking a buyout on the last, and don't remember any real points in our contract that were ambiguous. We were under a thousand employees, but we were well paid. I made about $90k roughly twenty years ago.

Maybe I'm unreasonable to have such high expectations. IMO, something as simple as this shouldn't need a business agent to resolve. The language should be concise and leave no doubt as to how it should be interpreted. Why make new language that will probably have to go to panel to be resolved?

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
I know lawyers from both sides try to leave things ambiguous, but I can't think of a single reason the teamsters lawyers wouldn't force this language to be specific.

Unless they're going to side with the company as another concession, and wanted this to be vague so they could entice more people to vote Yes or not vote at all.

it doesn't make me happy to think I pay over $1,000 a year for this :censored2: show...

Best contract ever!!!
The Teamster Lawyers were too busy on their knees to pay attention.

BEST CONTRACT EVER

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Maybe I'm unreasonable to have such high expectations.

Not at all.

I just don't understand how/why they would want to leave this so open to interpretation.

It's not so much "interpretation".... but, flexibility.

The language should be concise and leave no doubt as to how it should be interpreted.

"White paper contracts" have very definitive language.

Violate it.... and you're toast.

I'll take ambiguity every day.

It gives me something to work with....

:biggrin:

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
White paper contracts" have very definitive language.

I've learned a lot from your experience and knowledge. In this instance, how does ambiguity benefit the teamster membership?

Is this something that is left ambiguous as a trade-off for a UPS concession elsewhere in negotiations?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
"White paper contracts" have very definitive language.

I totally agree with your statement, when it comes to most things.

But, there are some things that ambiguity does not help, or even matter in the situation. And in this situation, it should be clearly defined as to who cannot be forced in to work if they do not have 8 hours available.

Article 26 Section 5 refers to red circled drivers and red circled drivers are not clearly defined in Article 22.4. The only mention of red circled drivers refers to RPCD's with a T-S schedule. So, is this what 26.5 actually refers to?

This section should be as specific as a pay rate for a classification, or the number of weeks of vacation. There is absolutely no ambiguity there.

The Chairs will have to clarify this language or a grievance will have to settle the intent of this Section.

Right now, nobody knows.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Exactly haha. 3 different locals, 3 different answers so far.

Not 3 different answers, 3 different opinions.

Nobody can give a definitive answer on this language, because it is not clear what the language says.

We will, eventually, get a ruling from the Director, or the National, as to whom this language actually refers to.

TheBrownNote

Good thing I wore my brown pants

where in the contract does it state that i, as a RPCD, can be forced in on a 6th punch if out of hours to sit in Jump seat.

542thruNthru

Well we just went to 70/8 and they are going to force everyone in tomorrow.

You know what that means!!
ZomboMeme 21102019172131.jpg

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
See our center did that too last week but we've been light. Everyone's off by 800 to 830 so I dont get the need.

They want to make sure they stay ahead of the volume instead of playing catch up all the way to Christmas.

Well we just went to 70/8 and they are going to force everyone in tomorrow.

You know what that means!!
View attachment 275720

This is what ol' zubey's gonna be like tomorrow:

mr-snail-with-money-vector-illustration-G35GPG.jpg

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

See our center did that too last week but we've been light. Everyone's off by 800 to 830 so I dont get the need.

So you've been getting done between 2000 and 2030 and want to know why they are forcing you guys to come in on Saturday? Would you prefer to work until midnight just to have Saturdays off?

seekz

So you've been getting done between 2000 and 2030 and want to know why they are forcing you guys to come in on Saturday? Would you prefer to work until midnight just to have Saturdays off?
But I'm not working Saturdays so it doesn't affect me one way or another. I told you I'm never working another Saturday again.

numberonedriver

We got a message at 830 last night that we have been put on 70 hour rule and everyone is working Saturday. I told my sup I won't be coming in tomorrow cause I have something to do. He said that's fine have a nice weekend. They can't actually force you to come in that's just a scare tactic they use.