705 Not Working New Hires

There is about 5 Full time new hires in my center that are being asked to report to work every day but have been going out only about 2 times a week or so. myself i have only been out about 3 times since Christmas Eve and it is the Jan 21st already. Is management allowed to have us come in and not work us? I was told that we are guaranteed 8hrs everyday. Is there any truth to that?

BrownTexas

There is about 5 Full time new hires in my center that are being asked to report to work every day but have been going out only about 2 times a week or so. myself i have only been out about 3 times since Christmas Eve and it is the Jan 21st already. Is management allowed to have us come in and not work us? I was told that we are guaranteed 8hrs everyday. Is there any truth to that?
You need to find your union steward fast. Your missing out on a lot of money my friend.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If you are scheduled and/or told to come in to work you must be put to work or the company has to pay you your 8.

If you are asked to call in and are told you are not needed you do not get your guarantee.

UPSGUY72

You have 2 choices complain and request your eight hrs and then possibly get laid off.

Or do nothing.

Have these 5 drives made there 30 days ????

UPSGUY72

Suppose you were told to come in, drove the 52 miles only to be told that you weren't needed. Would your answer be the same?

Some days I do I get to work and ask if I want the day. I usually say yes. But I still cleared $73,000 + last year.

As I said they have two choices. If I was working 1 or 2 days a week I would say something so I would either be driving or working back inside and collecting.

Ok thanks! Just trying to figure out my rights because management doesnt tell you anything. Im there to work so i want my 8 hrs. If they dont have 8 hours they need to stop making us all come in and sit on the sidelines in case theres a emergency. And if i don't get at least 3 days a week thats a whole other problem.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
Ok thanks! Just trying to figure out my rights because management doesnt tell you anything. Im there to work so i want my 8 hrs. If they dont have 8 hours they need to stop making us all come in and sit on the sidelines in case theres a emergency. And if i don't get at least 3 days a week thats a whole other problem.
You're just going to get more confused with misinformation on this site.
3 people have replied (I hope with good intentions), however none of them know the contract language that applies to you.
Can anyone tell me where in the union contract it says we are guaranteed 8 hrs? Post a link or something. Thanks
Have a discussion with your steward or Business Agent about Article 45, Sections 1& 7.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You're just going to get more confused with misinformation on this site.
3 people have replied (I hope with good intentions), however none of them know the contract language that applies to you.

Have a discussion with your steward or Business Agent about Article 45, Sections 1& 7.

Are you saying that there is contract language in certain supplements that lets the company schedule and/or call in employees only to turn around and send them home?

UPSjedi41

I am newer driver with 705 so here is how it works. Only the top 90% of seniority drivers are guaranteed to work and get 8 hours. If there are 50 drivers the bottom 5 have no guarantees. Those bottom 10% like you and me have to show up everyday and hope there is work. No work, no pay. Make sure there is no one with less seniority than you working. Bump them and go out blind or have an on car sup show you the route. Offer to do shuttle work or post offices. If you have more specific questions feel free to message me.