8.2 hr dispatch stategy likely to drag down performance for UPS

JustDeliverIt

They also have to find and hire 22.4 drivers and get them to stay. We're barely staffed now because no one wants to drive. Can't imagine that lower paying, weekend shift with no set schedule week to week is going to be an in demand job. At least in my area. And the drivers they're trying to bring in off the street, maybe 1 in 8 are staying. If you want OT, I think you'll get it. If you don't want it, there's the 9.5 list and hope this 8.2 plan day thing sticks around.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I like how this is supposed to me a national campaign, but not really. Typical UPS fragmentation.
Like everything else it will snake it’s way across the country. I remember reading about this two months ago, laughing to myself and thinking “that’ll never happen here”. Well.....three weeks in to it and I’m speechless. I read on here under 10hr days for peak....at this point I wouldn’t even doubt that.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
They also have to find and hire 22.4 drivers and get them to stay. We're barely staffed now because no one wants to drive. Can't imagine that lower paying, weekend shift with no set schedule week to week is going to be an in demand job. At least in my area. And the drivers they're trying to bring in off the street, maybe 1 in 8 are staying. If you want OT, I think you'll get it. If you don't want it, there's the 9.5 list and hope this 8.2 plan day thing sticks around.
And they think it would be so easy to staff this place if we went on strike....lmao...

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage

I just wanted to compliment your avatar ... cool look.

50088.jpg

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Yep. Been here about for weeks on here and just started at my center this week. And nowhere near the 7.5 hour days some of you are talking about. More like 9.3
We had to open up a brand new building before the national push began to happen.

They also moved around all the preload assignments. Now I have to do three cars. By 8:15 I have to help out another 3-car with my old fourth car in it. and then at 9:00 I have to bail out yet another 3-car because we literally have more assignments than we do preloaders.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
This was my conspiracy all along. To get a reliable Saturday work force they will restrict OT m-friend.

I'm at almost 10 hours of OT for the week. Business as usual here. Only routes done early were the pick-up heavy routes so they can get pick-up volume in. Rural, resi routes still going out with 10-11 hour days.

Smooth stops and turns buys time. Having an empty truck where you can select a package quickly makes for a smooth stop.

I'm losing all my time to ODO selection. Digging through the load is killing my numbers. But no one is asking me anything about it.
CoolStoryBro

davidix

People think it'll go back to blown out routes after peek. How is that? It's in the contract everybody is 9.5.

More routes and easier routes means the company makes service. Less late airs, late savers, missed business, pick ups on time, no problems with ods pick ups. The center also has less stress because there isn't people dying on route every single day. Not to mention the overall attitude of the work force.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
People think it'll go back to blown out routes after peek. How is that? It's in the contract everybody is 9.5.

More routes and easier routes means the company makes service. Less late airs, late savers, missed business, pick ups on time, no problems with ods pick ups. The center also has less stress because there isn't people dying on route every single day. Not to mention the overall attitude of the work force.
The only loser in this......our bank accounts!!!

oldupsman

You think they would have figured that out 10 years ago.
The only loser in this......our bank accounts!!!

Yeah, but your body and family win!

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
You think they would have figured that out 10 years ago.

Yeah, but your body and family win!
Yes they do.....but for some that will only be a small consolation prize quickly dwarfed by the concern of paying bills.

Out west we’ve continually beat the drum over the inequitiy of a national pay scale and nothing will make this a major issue quicker then this. There’s such a thing as “purchasing power” and out here at $37 an hour you have very little.

oldupsman

Yes they do.....but for some that will only be a small consolation prize quickly dwarfed by the concern of paying bills.

Out west we’ve continually beat the drum over the inequitiy of a national pay scale and nothing will make this a major issue quicker then this. There’s such a thing as “purchasing power” and out here at $37 an hour you have very little.
Personally I find your health and family more than a small consolation prize.
And I'm sure if you ask you can have all the OT you want.

Daf

It's probably common knowledge that one of the reasons UPS has always loaded drivers up with heavy days is that it keeps the pressure on and hence faster performance. I'm now finding that I'm finishing under 8 often along with many other guys. In an effort to fill out the day, that only means we're going to slow down (not that we're working faster than a normal pace now). There's definitely going to be that lack of urgency that the job has normally called for. UPS knows this so why play this game now? Only a matter of time before they see production numbers fall off a cliff and we'll be back with the OT.
But the amount of work comp claims will drop by 75 percent

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
Personally I find your health and family more than a small consolation prize.
And I'm sure if you ask you can have all the OT you want.
I do but I’ve got the years in, but thinking only of ourselves is what got us the contract that we voted down.

oldupsman

I do but I’ve got the years in, but thinking only of ourselves is what got us the contract that we voted down.

I disagree. The IBT is what got you the contract you voted down. There were certainly alot better ways of
reducing excessive overtime than lower paid part time drivers.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
I disagree. The IBT is what got you the contract you voted down. There were certainly alot better ways of
reducing excessive overtime than lower paid part time drivers.
I agree with you, my point was more along the fact that we seem to only focus on how things only effect us and not employees as a whole.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The pat on the back is for managing to the report, according to ORION we reduced miles. Why get worked up about it.
Miles have not actually been reduced, you guys are cooking the books to make it look that way.
The purpose of ORION is not to reduce miles.
Its purpose is to pump up the stock value by fooling gullible investors into thinking that miles are being reduced as part of some high-tech “transformation.”
Only an idiot...or someone with no experience or comprehension about what actually happens in a package car...would believe that a map theory algorithm is capable of outperforming an experienced driver with area knowledge at deciding the proper order to deliver a route under real world conditions.