8.2 hr dispatch stategy likely to drag down performance for UPS

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I dislike whiners more than Management.
To me the “whiners”are the ones who complain about the heat, the cold, the long hours, the heavy packages, or having to work on Christmas eve.
Those are all things we signed up for and therefore ought to accept as part of the job.
I have in the past been written up and threatened with discipline for 340 Methods violations such as “failure to have a smooth in-car routine” “failure to maintain a 30-60 inch selection area” “excessive sorting and rehandling of packages in the package compartment” “failure to drive directly to the next stop” and “failure to deliver multiple stops from a single park position.”
We are now being instructed to do those things, in the name of ORION “compliance” that would have gotten us written up for method violations or even terminated for padding miles and stealing time.
The company wants to take away our ability to make decisions yet still blame us for service failures.
I didnt sign up for that.
I’m not OK with that.
I will continue speaking out against that.
And if that makes me a “whiner” then so be it...

Last edited:

trickpony1

"Double bind stress" is, essentially, "damned if you do, damned if you don't". It can cause anxiety and depression.

The company seems to relish it.

They may hope all the full pay, full vacation senior drivers will quit so the ranks can be filled with low pay, low vacation, enthusiastic, pumped up new kids.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
"Double bind stress" is, essentially, "damned if you do, damned if you don't". It can cause anxiety and depression.

The company seems to relish it.

They may hope all the full pay, full vacation senior drivers will quit so the ranks can be filled with low pay, low vacation, enthusiastic, pumped up new kids.
Hopefully those full pay drivers will be aware of an important fact: “double bind” situations (being issued conflicting instructions under threat of discipline regardless of which one is obeyed) are a violation of the Art 37 prohibition against over-supervision and harassment. I hope they choose to file rather than quit.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
It's probably common knowledge that one of the reasons UPS has always loaded drivers up with heavy days is that it keeps the pressure on and hence faster performance. I'm now finding that I'm finishing under 8 often along with many other guys. In an effort to fill out the day, that only means we're going to slow down (not that we're working faster than a normal pace now). There's definitely going to be that lack of urgency that the job has normally called for. UPS knows this so why play this game now? Only a matter of time before they see production numbers fall off a cliff and we'll be back with the OT.
Hope so! Tired of playing games. All they had to do is level us off but who knows cause time studies have not been done in 10 years

JL 0513

Well, this morning's PCM talked about the slide in performance due to guys stretching out 8 hour plans into 9+ to get the hours they want as I predicted.

He talked about the new contract and 9.5 language being the reason for the lower paid day going forward. Can someone tell us what exactly has changed about 9.5? They always had to pay grievance pay, what has changed?

Well, this morning's PCM talked about the slide in performance due to guys stretching out 8 hour plans into 9+ to get the hours they want as I predicted.

He talked about the new contract and 9.5 language being the reason for the lower paid day going forward. Can someone tell us what exactly has changed about 9.5? They always had to pay grievance pay, what has changed?
You are now automatically on the 9.5. list

JL 0513

You are now automatically on the 9.5. list

So a majority of drivers chose not to be on the 9.5 list before and the union said "hey, let's make 9.5 for everyone!"? How stupid is that? So this means everyone can now file over 9.5?

This is obviously the calculus UPS is using that determined their decision to slash hours. While it IS cheaper to pay OT than adding drivers, it is not if everyone can file 9.5 grievances.

Nice to know we're paying tons of union dues to get things many of us didn't want.

UrFellowUpser

I know I've been slacking lol being dispatched an 8hr day its just no reason to go fast at all. I can see a 10 hr day or something but an 8hr day im taking my time talking to customers and everything.

JL 0513

What's particularly aggrevating is I noticed a name on the Saturday sign up sheet in my center from a guy that always complained about OT. What's worse is that he's a 30 year driver which means he gets the call before anyone else. So guys like this that led to the Union fighting for 9.5, is now signing up for Saturdays. It's unbelievable.

So a majority of drivers chose not to be on the 9.5 list before and the union said "hey, let's make 9.5 for everyone!"? How stupid is that? So this means everyone can now file over 9.5?

This is obviously the calculus UPS is using that determined their decision to slash hours. While it IS cheaper to pay OT than adding drivers, it is not if everyone can file 9.5 grievances.

Nice to know we're paying tons of union dues to get things many of us didn't want.
That was a big issue for many drivers

UrFellowUpser

I can see being dispatched 9.5hrs but here at my hub they not doing that its under 9.5hrs. I have no problem doing 9.5 if they actually dispatch the route that way.

DeliveryMachine

I hope once the contract is ratified they let the guys opt out of the 9.5 list. That would make everyone happy, which is why I’m afraid UPS won’t do it. They can’t have every driver happy. It’s UPS for christ sake