8 months into PDS

PTPDS49

I'm glad I took the time to type everything I did up above cuz it clearly fell on deaf ears. You just gave me a paragraph of numbers and figures. You just don't get it.
It didn't fall on deaf ears. I don't send stuff to the 8999 section on trucks(unless it's residential a that the driver will run at the end of their day) and I get with the drivers if I'm not 100% sure about something. There has been a time where I have made a big cut and realized that a lot of the pkgs had the same pal num and printed off the manifest and lined his truck up stop for stop and apologized for doing so. And it hasn't happened again.

Packmule

Just this week they cut a route and put about a fourth of it on me. Overall stop count was easy, but having to drive a 60 mile loop for two NDA letters, get back to town, deliver 40 stops with NDA, then go deliver 160 miles of my own route, get pickups back, and heaven forbid, guarantee I'd get NDA pickups back before 6:00...
The Fact that I routinely have NDA delivered late 30 miles out in the country because they're too $&@/ lazy to look for those problems before they send the air driver home...
Are you starting to get driver frustration?

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
It didn't fall on deaf ears. I don't send stuff to the 8999 section on trucks(unless it's residential a that the driver will run at the end of their day) and I get with the drivers if I'm not 100% sure about something. There has been a time where I have made a big cut and realized that a lot of the pkgs had the same pal num and printed off the manifest and lined his truck up stop for stop and apologized for doing so. And it hasn't happened again.
It's not just a large chunk to the same pal#--it's putting an entire split in a tiny range. Like the other day I had 40 stops all 7900-7999 and nothing on my 4000 shelf because the core of my route had been gutted and given to someone else to give me someone else's work...
As a result of having 40 stops in the 7900s the preloader wasn't able to load it in any semblance of order.

PTPDS49

Just this week they cut a route and put about a fourth of it on me. Overall stop count was easy, but having to drive a 60 mile loop for two NDA letters, get back to town, deliver 40 stops with NDA, then go deliver 160 miles of my own route, get pickups back, and heaven forbid, guarantee I'd get NDA pickups back before 6:00...
The Fact that I routinely have NDA delivered late 30 miles out in the country because they're too $&@/ lazy to look for those problems before they send the air driver home...
Are you starting to get driver frustration?
We don't have air drivers, the drivers get their own air

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
That would be nice
Ok, then you definitely don't get it. We're pointing out how bad it is to have a dispatch done by someone who doesn't know enough about the routes/area and you say it would be nice to have someone not even local do the dispatch. Gotta log off before the vein in my forehead ruptures.

PTPDS49

It's not just a large chunk to the same pal#--it's putting an entire split in a tiny range. Like the other day I had 40 stops all 7900-7999 and nothing on my 4000 shelf because the core of my route had been gutted and given to someone else to give me someone else's work...
As a result of having 40 stops in the 7900s the preloader wasn't able to load it in any semblance of order.
You're not gonna like this answer but we can't see that on the computer. If your loader was smart he would've put the cut in the 4000-4999 shelf where nothing was and notified you what he did

PTPDS49

Ok, then you definitely don't get it. We're pointing out how bad it is to have a dispatch done by someone who doesn't know enough about the routes/area and you say it would be nice to have someone not even local do the dispatch. Gotta log off before the vein in my forehead ruptures.
Good because I can tell that you're a driver that complains and nothing is ever good enough for you.

"That would be nice" was a joke

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
You're not gonna like this answer but we can't see that on the computer. If your loader was smart he would've put the cut in the 4000-4999 shelf where nothing was and notified you what he did

But, you as dispatch told the loader where to put that work.

The whole damned system is flawed, and nobody will fix it!

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Good because I can tell that you're a driver that complains and nothing is ever good enough for you.

"That would be nice" was a joke

Techie is smart enough to know how the system should work.

Eight months as a PDS does not give you the "big picture."

Packmule

I see where you're coming from, but work smart too. I've loaded trucks and that's what I would've done
I can understand your frustration too. But believe me, it is caused by a lack of area knowledge mostly. Listening to drivers, rather than belittling them, is how you get better at your job. Generally speaking, drivers tend to be very customer focused. Additionally, because we would like to get done at a respectable hour, we're also very productivity focused as well. And since we are the ones out there on the streets, we are the best resource you have for improving both.

letticesandwich

If your loader was smart he would've put the cut in the 4000-4999 shelf where nothing was and notified you what he did.

I got to defend loaders here. How is a loader supposed to know he has 40 stops for 7900? By the time he might see it and say :censored2:, its already messed up. And just moving it to an open spot doesnt change the fact that 10 stops are all gonna be pal'd 7923. Right next to the packages pal'd 7924. Mixed in with packages pal'd 7925

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
How in the :censored2: can you not see that an entire section is empty. You're the dispatcher for Christ sake.

Ps I totally wouldn't put it past ups to have a system that was actually like this.

Overpaid Union Thug

Before I leave I fully expect dispatch to be done from a remote location.
It's already possible. Our sups have dispatched other centers from ours and have done ours from other buildings too. It's been a long time since that has happened though. I liked to watch the cursor move around on the computer screen and try and figure out what they hell they were thinking on the other end. Some of us would "accidentally" touch the mouse and that would cause the PDS to lose their connection on the other end. The phone at our center would usually ring within seconds and that PDS would give whoever answered an earful.