9.5 driving under 4 years

izr

Been driving for under 4 years. I was put on the same route for 5 consecutive days. So I filled to be on the 9.5 list. I talked to our BA and pretty much told me that I'm only 9.5 on that specific route. I don't see anything on that contract that reads that I'm 9.5 only on that route. Where is the protection for drivers under 4 years? Who can I talk to in order to settle this? Am I 9.5 only on that route or should it be any route? Either way I'm filling grievance every week. Any advice will be helpful.

Thanks

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Been driving for under 4 years. I was put on the same route for 5 consecutive days. So I filled to be on the 9.5 list. I talked to our BA and pretty much told me that I'm only 9.5 on that specific route. I don't see anything on that contract that reads that I'm 9.5 only on that route. Where is the protection for drivers under 4 years? Who can I talk to in order to settle this? Am I 9.5 only on that route or should it be any route? Either way I'm filling grievance every week. Any advice will be helpful.

Thanks

I think the BA needs to read it a little closer. If you go on the list, you are notifying them that you prefer not to work over 9.5. Any route that puts you over would be your second offense.

El Correcto

god is dead
(c) The Employer shall make a reasonable effort to reduce package car drivers’ workdays below nine and one half (9.5) hours per day where requested. If a review indicates that progress is not being made in the reduction of assigned hours of work, (i.e the package driver has worked more than 9.5 hours on three (3) days in a work- week), the following language shall apply, except in the months of November and December

The affected regular package driver may make such a request to be added to the “9.5 Opt-In List” effective on the first day of his/her workweek after making the request. The driver shall notify the manager and steward of his/her desire to be added to the List. The request must be made within the time limit for filing a grievance in.

Employees within the full-time driver classification shall be eligible for the protection of this Section provided: (1) the employee covers a route for a full week; (2) the employee bids or is assigned to cover a route for a full week but is prevented from completing that bid or assignment due to reassignment by the Employer; or (3) an employ- ee with four (4) years of seniority as a full-time package driver.

Drivers who choose to opt-in on the 9.5 list shall have the right to file a grievance if the Employer has continually worked a driver more than nine and one half (9.5) hours per day for any three (3) days in a workweek. The Company will not assign excessive over- time on the two (2) remaining days within the workweek in order to retaliate against a driver for opting onto the 9.5 List.

Nothing said about same routes or anything when it comes to filing the grievance. Its just a rule the company can use to keep you off the list, they failed to do so.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
(c) The Employer shall make a reasonable effort to reduce package car drivers’ workdays below nine and one half (9.5) hours per day where requested. If a review indicates that progress is not being made in the reduction of assigned hours of work, (i.e the package driver has worked more than 9.5 hours on three (3) days in a work- week), the following language shall apply, except in the months of November and December

The affected regular package driver may make such a request to be added to the “9.5 Opt-In List” effective on the first day of his/her workweek after making the request. The driver shall notify the manager and steward of his/her desire to be added to the List. The request must be made within the time limit for filing a grievance in.

Employees within the full-time driver classification shall be eligible for the protection of this Section provided: (1) the employee covers a route for a full week; (2) the employee bids or is assigned to cover a route for a full week but is prevented from completing that bid or assignment due to reassignment by the Employer; or (3) an employ- ee with four (4) years of seniority as a full-time package driver.

Drivers who choose to opt-in on the 9.5 list shall have the right to file a grievance if the Employer has continually worked a driver more than nine and one half (9.5) hours per day for any three (3) days in a workweek. The Company will not assign excessive over- time on the two (2) remaining days within the workweek in order to retaliate against a driver for opting onto the 9.5 List.

Nothing said about same routes or anything when it comes to filing the grievance. Its just a rule the company can use to keep you off the list, they failed to do so.
Hopefully this language gets stronger on this next contract....

Indecisi0n

Thanks
He is incorrect. File.

izr

I feel like I'm fighting with management and our BA right now. I asked our BA to show me where it reads that I'm a 9.5 driver and he couldn't give me an answer. I asked out management and they gave the same answer. I'll all good though I'll just file every Friday. :tank:

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I feel like I'm fighting with management and our BA right now. I asked our BA to show me where it reads that I'm a 9.5 driver and he couldn't give me an answer. I asked out management and they gave the same answer. I'll all good though I'll just file every Friday. :tank:
Hopefully that language will be cleaned up in the next contract...

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Then you find that overnight you are now an hour over... And don't think it can't happen...I've seen it and ors couldn't explain what happen... Big shocker!!
It's like at the dog races, they never catch the rabbit (Speedy).
What these bonus babies don't realize, is that they are being manipulated daily within an arbitrary system, with an ever sliding scale.

How can a union, that claims they don't recognize production standards, entertain this arbitrary "bonus system???

Blatant contradiction.

oldngray

nowhere special
It's like at the dog races, they never catch the rabbit (Speedy).
What these bonus babies don't realize, is that they are being manipulated daily within an arbitrary system, with an ever sliding scale.

How can a union, that claims they don't recognize production standards, entertain this arbitrary "bonus system???

Blatant contradiction.

It results in friction between hourlies because of differing allowances. As intended.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It results in friction between hourlies because of differing allowances. As intended.
....and creates subconscious inner friction within some individuals.

It hypnotizes these drivers, bonus aside.
They can't help but to try and satisfy the form and hold their status among their past performances, let alone their peers.

Best career move I ever made was to divorce myself from those reports.
It was absolutely liberating and the job became much easier and a bit more time consuming, which is now managed by the 9.5 opt-in list.

oldngray

nowhere special
....and creates subconscious inner friction within some individuals.

It hypnotizes these drivers, bonus aside.
They can't help but to try and satisfy the form and hold their status among their peers.

Best career move I ever made was to divorce myself from those reports.
It was absolutely liberating and the job became much easier and a bit more time consuming, which is now managed by the 9.5 opt-in list.

I worked in both bonus and non bonus centers. Difference in attitudes was night and day.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Then you find that overnight you are now an hour over... And don't think it can't happen...I've seen it and ors couldn't explain what happen... Big shocker!!
It happened to me twice. That is why time allowance in the UPS system have decimal places. All they do is change fractions of numbers and poof you go from being a scratch driver to one hour over. Now my regular day is about 2.5 hours paid over and I care less. As long as my paycheck calculate the exact hours that I work times my hourly wage and any overtime accrued, that is the only numbers I will ever talk to them about.