9.5 language

a911scanner

$65k? Drop in the bucket for our building.

2 centers in our building. Our side paid out well over double that last year for 9.5 violations. Seriously.

- 9.5 language is seriously lacking
- 22.4 language is a joke (VERY poorly planned and worded by the Teamsters Union)
- Forced 6th punches are tragic & harmful to each employee

These are just the start of the numerous issues to be addressed in the next contract. It is not only about "the money"

Whither

Scofflaw
The way you win NLRB charges.... is exhaust the grievance procedure.... first.
I know, but you have to admit that many of us UPSers are justified in our overall exhaustion. The 9.5 language is broken when the company continually violates and just pays out the grieves as the cost of doing business with skeleton crews and overwhelmed facilities, insufficient equipment, etc. The OP is correct about injuries. You can do the job by the methods every stop but the extra work load takes its toll

JustDeliverIt

I know, but you have to admit that many of us UPSers are justified in our overall exhaustion. The 9.5 language is broken when the company continually violates and just pays out the grieves as the cost of doing business with skeleton crews and overwhelmed facilities, insufficient equipment, etc. The OP is correct about injuries. You can do the job by the methods every stop but the extra work load takes its toll

The only way it would be worth it for the company is if they made pension contributions for every hour worked, not just the first 40. Right now, they save money because it's cheaper to pay the OT then adding drivers. If every minute worked had contributions attached, the only way to save pay would be to reduce OT. Company will never go for it because the savings is greater the current way and the union feels they fixed it with 22.4's.

WeAreAllGoingToMakeIt

Contemplating filing a grievance against UPS and the Teamsters. Why you ask, plain and simple, the language is not being followed. Sure the company is writing checks, I am told over $65,000 in one building last year, but the intent of the language is to reduce dispatch. The monetary part of the language was to be the penalty and not the answer. The attitude of our BA is well you are getting paid. True, but a lot of drivers would prefer to be home at 5 or 530 instead of 7 or 8 or 9 as it has become in our building and many others. I assume from the company standpoint $65k is cheaper than hiring another driver but in the meantime, they are wearing out drivers and injuries are on the increase, I can only imagine what will happen if this continues into the summer, probably just the stay hydrated PCM. I have told our BA I will never vote yes on a contract till it is automatic after 9.5 and grievances need not be filed, but I know what the companies response would be, well drivers will only hang on the clock. So I ask , what are your feeling on this issue???
(comment edited or removed)

Overpaid Union Thug

I think the centers that have more drivers filing for working over 9.5 hours have it worse than others like mine. Centers like mine only have a few drivers filing so that makes it easier for the dispatchers. All they have to do is move work from us to the runners/gunners and whoever actually wants a lot of overtime. So, the magic formula seems to be that. The more runners and gunners in a center the more likely the rest of us will not get over dispatched. LMFAO

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
The only way it would be worth it for the company is if they made pension contributions for every hour worked, not just the first 40. Right now, they save money because it's cheaper to pay the OT then adding drivers. If every minute worked had contributions attached, the only way to save pay would be to reduce OT. Company will never go for it because the savings is greater the current way and the union feels they fixed it with 22.4's.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^This is the Winning post!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do the math. Pension contributions are around $13 average. Pay rate is $38 on average. Time and a half is $57 on average. $38 +$13=$51 for first 8 hours, then the pension contribution drops off and it only costs UPS an average of $12 more to keep a top rate driver out for two more hours. It’s a no brainer, toss in some healthcare benefits and it’s cheaper to work us 10.5 than 8 by far. Wake up guys, supplementary language and pension contributions for every hour worked is the only way out of the high dispatches.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Do you file a grievance when they violate the 9-5 language? If I am not mistaken after a couple grievances are paid off they are supposed to have a meeting so they can figure away how to reduce your overtime

Paging @542thruNthru @BigUnionGuy
Lol. We have guys that have filed 7-8 this year alone. The are begging the BA for any advice to actually reduce their hours. BA says you’ll get paid your penalty pay don’t worry.

Had a sup call me selfish for filing a 9.5 and sups working grievances. They don’t get it. It has nothing to do with the money. We just want to work for a properly staffed operation.

Brownslave688

^^^^^^^^^^^^^This is the Winning post!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do the math. Pension contributions are around $13 average. Pay rate is $38 on average. Time and a half is $57 on average. $38 +$13=$51 for first 8 hours, then the pension contribution drops off and it only costs UPS an average of $12 more to keep a top rate driver out for two more hours. It’s a no brainer, toss in some healthcare benefits and it’s cheaper to work us 10.5 than 8 by far. Wake up guys, supplementary language and pension contributions for every hour worked is the only way out of the high dispatches.
This is how is works for my buddies in the IBEW. All hours get pension/401k money. They retire with bank.

There is no reason at all that we should not get retirement contributions for ALL hours worked.

Lol. We have guys that have filed 7-8 this year alone. The are begging the BA for any advice to actually reduce their hours. BA says you’ll get paid your penalty pay don’t worry.

Had a sup call me selfish for filing a 9.5 and sups working grievances. They don’t get it. It has nothing to do with the money. We just want to work for a properly staffed operation.
More guys are going to list as we speak because they had enough

Brownslave688

More guys are going to list as we speak because they had enough
My center is 95% of eligible drivers on 9.5 list. It’s always been that way but only 5 or 6 ever actually filed. Now everyone is filing every week. They’re sick of it. Most of these guys are fine with 9.8-10 hour days which is how it used to be. Now they’re working 11+ every day and like friend this.

Whither

Scofflaw
My center is 95% of eligible drivers on 9.5 list. It’s always been that way but only 5 or 6 ever actually filed. Now everyone is filing every week. They’re sick of it. Most of these guys are fine with 9.8-10 hour days which is how it used to be. Now they’re working 11+ every day and like friend this.
I'd file if I had a measly total over 9.5 for the week. If what you say holds in my local, I'd file even though there'd be no penalty to pay -- 3 violations of 9.5 on the nose. And really we should hold the company to that standard since they frown on sheeting closed at 1159 and 1301, and 1200 and 1300 scans count as missed. Likewise 1030 and 30 seconds is late air. I've also been requesting on my grieves "Keep me under 9.5." Like you say, it's not about the money. I'd just as soon 8 and skate everyday.

Neither your BA nor mine gets it too. Some of us, maybe most, just want our lives not to revolve around UPS.

542thruNthru

This was my center last year. Maybe 3 9.5 grievances ever filed in 5 years. Then BOOM people got fed up with the 12-13 hour days 6 days a week. 9.5s started being filed every week. Management kept say "why do you keep filing these on me? I can't do anything."

Just like you said. Its not about you it's about showing we need more driver's/trucks!

Whereistheunion

Contemplating filing a grievance against UPS and the Teamsters. Why you ask, plain and simple, the language is not being followed. Sure the company is writing checks, I am told over $65,000 in one building last year, but the intent of the language is to reduce dispatch. The monetary part of the language was to be the penalty and not the answer. The attitude of our BA is well you are getting paid. True, but a lot of drivers would prefer to be home at 5 or 530 instead of 7 or 8 or 9 as it has become in our building and many others. I assume from the company standpoint $65k is cheaper than hiring another driver but in the meantime, they are wearing out drivers and injuries are on the increase, I can only imagine what will happen if this continues into the summer, probably just the stay hydrated PCM. I have told our BA I will never vote yes on a contract till it is automatic after 9.5 and grievances need not be filed, but I know what the companies response would be, well drivers will only hang on the clock. So I ask , what are your feeling on this issue???
They (Mangement) only understand grievances if you are being violated please file it's not personal it's a business decision 😉

AKCoverMan

In my building I go thru the WOR weekly for the previous week and we file for everyone who is over even if it’s just be a little.

A 9.5 driver is basically telling the company eight hours a day is enough. So when the company runs you nine hours and thirty one minutes they are not missing the mark by “just one minute” they are missing by 91.

I had one paid last year that the entire grievance was for a total of 40ish minutes over 9.5.

Overpaid Union Thug

This was my center last year. Maybe 3 9.5 grievances ever filed in 5 years. Then BOOM people got fed up with the 12-13 hour days 6 days a week. 9.5s started being filed every week. Management kept say "why do you keep filing these on me? I can't do anything."

Just like you said. Its not about you it's about showing we need more driver's/trucks!
I think UPS (In certain areas anyway) is trying harder than ever not to hire any more people because, in those areas, Amazon is about to deliver more of their own volume. Mine is one of them. Many centers in my district have been told to drastically limit the use of TCDs. Some weeks they aren’t allowed to use them at all.

The Amazon in the next city over from us already delivers most of their own small/medium sized packages in two thirds of our delivery zone. They will cover all of it soon. Think of all the extra people we’ll end up with if UPS hires more people now based on the current demands.