'97 Strike Resulted in UPS Going Public

oldupsman

The "best and final offer" was a real insult. Almost guaranteed a strike. If UPS had been reasonable with their first offer a strike could have been averted.
Agreed. No doubt in my mind they dared Carey to strike. They never thought he do it. And then they thought the drivers would ignore it.
UPS badly miscalculated on both.

oldngray

nowhere special
UPS first offer was also its best last offer as usual. The reason for that wording was it forced a 2/3 no vote to reject it, instead of the simple majority of later contracts.

Overpaid Union Thug

In the game is right about contract date. 2018, not 2017. Got that mixed up with something else. As for Carey, got off with a lifetime ban from union involvement was what the last news I heard said.
He is also technically right that Taft Hartley was threatened, but not invoked. What's the difference? Point was their was a lot of illegal money being passed around between Teamster's and the DNC. It's not hard to connect the dots.
As for strike authorization issues, I'm going off of what our business agent was telling us. And to answer Overpaid's question, no, we did not get to see the company's offer until after we were already on strike. And only then because management brought it out to us on the strike line.
But it's all history. We can with learn from it or be destined to repeat it. My suggestion is under no circumstances should members ever give away their authorization again until they've seen and rejected the company's proposal. If it sucks, vote accordingly and support whatever happens.
Fact is healthcare is about on a par with pensions in terms of dollars involved and importance to people.
In 2018, sticking your head in the sand like so many did in 97 is probably not a good idea.
The "best and final offer" was a real insult. Almost guaranteed a strike. If UPS had been reasonable with their first offer a strike could have been averted.
Members should have had the opportunity to vote on the contract first before going on strike. I believe the theory that Carey was out to get UPS. It's hard not to see it. I mean really......diving head first into a strike like that without an actual vote on the contract?!? LOL. It's funny how one of the main strike issues was exactly what we ended up voting yes for later. LOL!

oldngray

nowhere special
Members should have had the opportunity to vote on the contract first before going on strike. I believe the theory that Carey was out to get UPS. It's hard not to see it. I mean really......diving head first into a strike like that without an actual vote on the contract?!? LOL. It's funny how one of the main strike issues was exactly what we ended up voting yes for later. LOL!

UPS' first offer was insulting. They did offer a bit more after their "final" offer but not much. I think UPS wanted a confrontation to weaken the union. Maybe they expected the union to back down but with how much Carey hated UPS that was never going to happen.

oldngray

nowhere special
I could be wrong but I swear we got to vote to give the Union authorization to strike "if need be".

Usually the first vote on a contract also counts as an authorization to strike vote but sometimes there will be an authorization vote while they are still negotiating. It gives the union more leverage when negotiating the contract.