My UPS hub is going on strike.

Capnfapn

Pessimistically Optimistic.
I’m a part time package handler at my local hub. I was signed on for $21/hr and my 9 month waiting period for benefits will be up in march. Last Wednesday my supervisor told us that a higher up wanted to talk to us (not sure if from union or corporate honestly) and to shut off the belt and meet by trailer 106. When we’re all gathered there the guy tells us that the week PRIOR our wages were lowered from $21/hr to $16.10/hr. Not only did UPS not contact anyone in any way to notify us of the change, but the cities minimum wage raised to $16.20 the first of this month and they’re paying us $16.10. The guy said that they had organized a protest the next day from 7am-10am. He also said that they filed a grievance, and if they don’t restore the wages then we will “consider it a strikeable offense.” I wasn’t able to go to the protest but I know that by the end of the day no progress was made and about 100 people were there. Me and one other loader checked upsers.com and it said our rates were $17.50, but two other coworkers’ paystubs did indeed say $16.10. Has this happened to anyone else before? Are we gonna go on strike now? What’s gonna happen? Am I gonna have to find another job?

Brown Biscuit

Blind every day
Was this “guy” a union steward or representative? There is such thing as a Wildcat Strike and it’s not in your best interest. Strikes have to be approved. I would call your union hall or talk to a steward in your building to make sure it is legit.

Last edited:

DriverNerd

Not only did UPS not contact anyone in any way to notify us of the change
When UPS got rid of the MRA (throughout the country) they did indeed inform their personnel. Blame it on management for not relaying the message.

And anyone making less than minimum wage in their city needs to contact UPS management first, then if not corrected contact their local city offices.

I’m a part time package handler at my local hub. I was signed on for $21/hr and my 9 month waiting period for benefits will be up in march. Last Wednesday my supervisor told us that a higher up wanted to talk to us (not sure if from union or corporate honestly) and to shut off the belt and meet by trailer 106. When we’re all gathered there the guy tells us that the week PRIOR our wages were lowered from $21/hr to $16.10/hr. Not only did UPS not contact anyone in any way to notify us of the change, but the cities minimum wage raised to $16.20 the first of this month and they’re paying us $16.10. The guy said that they had organized a protest the next day from 7am-10am. He also said that they filed a grievance, and if they don’t restore the wages then we will “consider it a strikeable offense.” I wasn’t able to go to the protest but I know that by the end of the day no progress was made and about 100 people were there. Me and one other loader checked upsers.com and it said our rates were $17.50, but two other coworkers’ paystubs did indeed say $16.10. Has this happened to anyone else before? Are we gonna go on strike now? What’s gonna happen? Am I gonna have to find another job?
It's not a strikable offense

Capnfapn

Was this “guy” a union steward or representative? There is such thing as a Wildcat Strike and it’s not in your best interest. Strikes have to be approved. I would call your union hall or talk to a steward in your buildinI got the building address and phone number for the union hall. I’ll call them tomorrow.
What does the contract say you should be making?
The contract I signed onto says I’ll be making $21 an hour

Capnfapn

When UPS got rid of the MRA (throughout the country) they did indeed inform their personnel. Blame it on management for not relaying the message.

And anyone making less than minimum wage in their city needs to contact UPS management first, then if not corrected contact their local city offices.
I don’t care who takes the blame I care that I get my money back and this doesn’t happen again. Whether corporate or management NO ONE was informed.

Capnfapn

What contract did you sign and did you actually read it?
Yes. I did. Multiple times.
"Part-time union employee compensation is contractually agreed upon with the Teamsters and includes annual pay increases plus benefits" so if the affected workers are part of the union it is a breach.

Beside all that. I was no notified WHATSOEVER of my wage change. Let alone the fact it is BELOW MINIMUM WAGE. I reported them to the state and am getting financial compensation. Lmao.

Capnfapn

You don’t have a copy of The contract you signed onto do you?
Yes. I did. Multiple times.
"Part-time union employee compensation is contractually agreed upon with the Teamsters and includes annual pay increases plus benefits" so if the affected workers are part of the union it is a breach.

Beside all that. I was no notified WHATSOEVER of my wage change. Let alone the fact it is BELOW MINIMUM WAGE. What are you not getting? I reported them to the state and am getting financial compensation. Lmao.

Don’t let the door hit your ass on the way out of this thread.