A Call to Arms

Griff

It's time to stop letting UPS management get away with their status-quo operation. It's time to start holding management and union delegates accountable at every level. It's time to force UPS and the Teamsters to uphold and adhere to the contracts in which they ink and therefore agree to. It's incumbent upon each and every Teamster, regardless of job or title, to not allow contract violations to go unnoticed. A response is needed and it starts with you, stop looking away and going along to get along. It serves no purpose and you aren't doing yourself or anyone else of importance (union coworkers) any favors. You might think you're gaining something, but in reality you're the one losing. I'm running into too many people who are afraid to make a wave, scared of their own shadow, walking on eggshells around management. Why exactly are you paying union dues again? The main purpose of a union is to improve workplace conditions and treatment. Stop being a doormat for your local management team and start fighting for your contractual and constitutional rights. I promise you, your favors and turns of the head will be forgotten if you ever stumble into a situation where they want to make an example of someone. If all of us did our part and forced the issue, favoritism and headhunting would be a thing of the past, they cannot target everyone. What you do on a local level can have an impact on the national level. It starts at your local, in your building and in your center; stand up and be counted as a Teamster.

DS

Fenderbender
It's time to stop letting UPS management get away with their status-quo operation. It's time to start holding management and union delegates accountable at every level. It's time to force UPS and the Teamsters to uphold and adhere to the contracts in which they ink and therefore agree to. It's incumbent upon each and every Teamster, regardless of job or title, to not allow contract violations to go unnoticed. A response is needed and it starts with you, stop looking away and going along to get along. It serves no purpose and you aren't doing yourself or anyone else of importance (union coworkers) any favors. You might think you're gaining something, but in reality you're the one losing. I'm running into too many people who are afraid to make a wave, scared of their own shadow, walking on eggshells around management. Why exactly are you paying union dues again? The main purpose of a union is to improve workplace conditions and treatment. Stop being a doormat for your local management team and start fighting for your contractual and constitutional rights. I promise you, your favors and turns of the head will be forgotten if you ever stumble into a situation where they want to make an example of someone. If all of us did our part and forced the issue, favoritism and headhunting would be a thing of the past, they cannot target everyone. What you do on a local level can have an impact on the national level. It starts at your local, in your building and in your center; stand up and be counted as a Teamster.
I can tell you really believe in the union,but when I was fired,I did not recieve one call back from them .The only reason I got my job back was because my sup stood up for me .All they ever do is take my money and show up at election time.
Nice speech though.I think UPS is mismanaged by the "got to get ahead"
mentality that creates bad situations between us and them.Frankly,I think they would have learned by now that there is more to it than just "good numbers".but the worst part is that even though your intentions are good griff,we all know that management is out to lunch,eating caviar with the teamsters.JMHO

Griff

I can tell you really believe in the union,but when I was fired,I did not recieve one call back from them .The only reason I got my job back was because my sup stood up for me .All they ever do is take my money and show up at election time.
Nice speech though.I think UPS is mismanaged by the "got to get ahead"
mentality that creates bad situations between us and them.Frankly,I think they would have learned by now that there is more to it than just "good numbers".but the worst part is that even though your intentions are good griff,we all know that management is out to lunch,eating caviar with the teamsters.JMHO

No, I believe in the people being represented by the union. I specifically stated holding both parties (UPS and Teamsters) accountable because I share your concerns about the backdoor deals and overall corruption. I'm done with the status-quo and I refuse to accept it. When my BA started ducking my phone calls, I showed up at the union hall and put my face in his face. I questioned his heart and where his loyalty lies. It starts at the local level and you can make that change. If everyone focused their energy on restoring solidarity in their local, instead of worrying about PAS and trying to fly under the radar, this ship can get back on course. Without solidarity, you have nothing. Everyday I show up and try to do my part, I see results, they are small but they are still noticeable. If everyone did their part, the results would be substantial.

ups79

YOU GO BOY

feeder53

ADKtrails
I believe everyone, be they management, employee or union have a stake in UPS. Everone should point out the issues and sit together and work them out. If we make it an us or them situation then we have been divided and that is not a good thing. People have to stand up ( management, union and employees) and stand for the good of the organization, but some people are not leaders and they do not have what it takes to stand up. The employees have the power when they vote for their union stewart. When I address issues, I try to take the person aside and reason with them because as soon as you make it confrontational or public....it becomes a larger issue. I to believe that there are issues that crop up that given time, someone will see the problem and step up to the plate. I use the three strikes rule; 1. Direct conversation, Written documentation and when all else fails act appropriatly and follow the chain of command.

steeltoe

I understand your concerns. I am a steward and am preaching daily to our members that the Union is not the guys at the hall with the suits. I get flack all the time. I try to educate them that the union is the people. We elect our officials, we have a say so. They still want to buck the idea and say that they never see the BA. Well, they see me everyday. What is the problem. The BA comes around about once per month, and I believe that is enough. The power is in the membership. I just herd this week from an employee on another sort in our building that supervisors are working all the time. I told him to file a grievance, even gave him the paperwork. We will see if this person actually turns it in.

Stay positive brother. You can make a difference one person at a time. I have actually seen it work at my building. Slow, but surely.

Cezanne

Simple answer to the above observation: NO ACCOUNTABILITY and or BUSINESS AS USUAL.

Last edited:

IDoLessWorkThanMost

You'd go crazy at our center. Air drivers out picking up misloads and delivering grounds, not coded as air driving either; on an inside jobe code! So the hours aren't charged as they should be, making #'s look great ( no misloads for the day and no ground pay code) Just one example of what goes on...

I hear your frustration but it's a battle that usually isn't worth fighting. You have to pick battles and usually ones that are "best for the team" aren't the ones to pick.

Management knows exactly who will play ball and make things happen.

ups_vette

Griff reminds me of the driver (I'll call John) who worked for me when I was the Center Manager in a large rural Center in Eastern Pa. "John" was an extreamly vocal, pro Union, anti Company driver. "John was always looking for contract violations and constantly filing grievencs. He said he always followed the methods and was the perfect UPS driver. He bragged that he worked at a steady pace, never exceeded the speed limit, always took his full lunch and breaks, and would never go out of his way to help management. He refered to himself as "Mr. Teamster".

One morning around 8.15 (driver start time was 8.30) John and the other drivers were milling around and chatting before their start time when the District LP Manager and two other gentlemen, who I didn't know, walked into the Center. The LP Mmanager walked over to John and asked hime to step into the office. John stuck up his chest, jutted his jaw out and said "it's not 8.30 yet, I'm on my own time, and don't talk to me till 8.30. Well, the LP Manager looked John straight in the eye and said "John, do you see those two gentlemen over there, they are Pennsylvania State Policemen, and they don't give a damm what time it is, they want to talk to you NOW. John's jaw droped, looked at the two State Policemen and meekly walked into the office. The rest of the drivers just stared and the silence was defining.

I woun't go into what John had done, except that what it was happened while John was delivering on his route. After being interviewed by the policemen, John was led away in handcuffs. That was the last time John was in a UPS facility. Mr. Teamster was never again to have a Teamster job.

The reason I relate this situation is because ever since that situation, I always have doubt about those who profess to be perfect. Noone is perfect, and if one looks hard enough and long enough, the imperfections will come out.

Griff

Griff reminds me of the driver (I'll call John) who worked for me when I was the Center Manager in a large rural Center in Eastern Pa. "John" was an extreamly vocal, pro Union, anti Company driver. "John was always looking for contract violations and constantly filing grievencs. He said he always followed the methods and was the perfect UPS driver. He bragged that he worked at a steady pace, never exceeded the speed limit, always took his full lunch and breaks, and would never go out of his way to help management. He refered to himself as "Mr. Teamster".

One morning around 8.15 (driver start time was 8.30) John and the other drivers were milling around and chatting before their start time when the District LP Manager and two other gentlemen, who I didn't know, walked into the Center. The LP Mmanager walked over to John and asked hime to step into the office. John stuck up his chest, jutted his jaw out and said "it's not 8.30 yet, I'm on my own time, and don't talk to me till 8.30. Well, the LP Manager looked John straight in the eye and said "John, do you see those two gentlemen over there, they are Pennsylvania State Policemen, and they don't give a damm what time it is, they want to talk to you NOW. John's jaw droped, looked at the two State Policemen and meekly walked into the office. The rest of the drivers just stared and the silence was defining.

I woun't go into what John had done, except that what it was happened while John was delivering on his route. After being interviewed by the policemen, John was led away in handcuffs. That was the last time John was in a UPS facility. Mr. Teamster was never again to have a Teamster job.

The reason I relate this situation is because ever since that situation, I always have doubt about those who profess to be perfect. Noone is perfect, and if one looks hard enough and long enough, the imperfections will come out.

I'm so glad that you chose to relate a story about a criminal to myself, it seems very warranted and relevant. If this post reached out and caused one person to stop looking the other way, it's a success to me. I've been a target for management for quite awhile, being under the microscope isn't new to me. If UPS wants to fire a no accidents and no injuries driver simply because he files grievances and doesn't get intimidated by the usual tough guy/posturing circus act a lot of managers use -- be my guest. I couldn't sleep at night if I allowed myself and my rights to be trampled on a daily basis. I guess that's just me though.

tieguy

Banned
As I read through griffs post I see a union version of the occasional management person who believes every issue with the drivers should recieve a warning letter. :happy-very:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

I wouldn't be shocked to learn that there is a kernel of truth to this tale, but overall it just sounds a little too perfect, like a center manager's daydream about what he would like to see happen to that annoying shop steward who keeps getting under his skin.

JULAKA

It is nice to know that some members of management will target people who file grievances and wait for them to screw up so they can retaliate. Here is a nutty idea-ABIDE BY THE CONTRACT! :angry:

Ptrunner

Thats a great job, the above comment sure makes the union strong. At our building i stop the belt and get an hourly to help me with an overweight. Its the right way to be done. If i see a supervisor lifting an over 70 with an hourly its a straight up grievance and i get paid.

steeltoe

I never understand the thought that if you force the company to abide by the contract you are anti-company. It is a contract, not the "Union Book", as people like to call it. In a contract you have 2 sides, both sides agree to the terms of the contract.

If you had a contract with your yard man, and he did not follow that contract, you would hold him accountable. He would do the same. Yes, you can work things out with the yard man with out firing him, this is called the grievance process in our deal.

As far as I can tell, I am a respected steward in my building by management and hourly. Both parties realize I know our contract like the back of my hand for the people I represent. I don't go around barking. Some concerns are worked out verbaly, some concerns must be handled in writing.

At my building, management and hourly all receive blue pay stubbs. We work for the same company and must abide by the contract that both parties agreed too.

My biggest concern is that most employee's think that the union is the guy in the suit, or black teamster jacket, and do not understand the concept of UNION. Heck, just last week I had a 25 year employee file a seniority grievance and filed it untimely. The excuse was they did not know about the time limits. How could you possibly work for a union company for 25 years and not know this information? Because you are not involved. Being a member is more than paying your dues and waiting on the BA to walk around once per month. You can be very involved with the union and still be a productive employee that is not anti-company.

diesel96

["Griff reminds me of the driver (I'll call John) who worked for me when I was the Center Manager in a large rural Center in Eastern Pa. "John" was an extreamly vocal, pro Union, anti Company driver."]

Griffs post didn't sound "pro union" to me Vette, if you took the time to read he was asking the "hourly's" to make the Teamsters lame duck attitude to become more effective fighting the Company's contract violations. That's all it was in a nut shell.

ups_vette

["Griff reminds me of the driver (I'll call John) who worked for me when I was the Center Manager in a large rural Center in Eastern Pa. "John" was an extreamly vocal, pro Union, anti Company driver."]

Griffs post didn't sound "pro union" to me Vette, if you took the time to read he was asking the "hourly's" to make the Teamsters lame duck attitude to become more effective fighting the Company's contract violations. That's all it was in a nut shell.

diesel.....I was relaying a case where the Company was fighting the Teamsters contract violations. The "John" in my story commited the illeagle act while he was being paid to honor the Contract by performing the duties he was contractually obligated to do. He violated that Contract. Do you honestly believe that Teamsters never violate the contract?. That a Teamster never takes more than the contractual lunch and break time? That a Teamster never takes an unaproved "short cut" instead of the method he was taught and instructed to do? That a Teamster never drives unsafely? That a Teamster never spends more than the required amount of time with a customer? That a Teamster never falsifies the records?

According to Griff it's only the Company that violates the contract, and the hourly is unfairly treated. It's been my experience in the 32 years I worked for UPS that the most vocal and outspoken hourly has more than a few things hiden in their closet, and when revealed, the hourly claims he is being unfairly treated. Griff seams to forget, or just dosen't care, that both Company and Teamsters have areas they both agreed to comply with.