A confession to make

T

The Cardinal

years ago... when I just started driving I was overwhelmed with so many thing to know. In my second week of driving they assign me to cover a route that has a diesel truck ( I think you know where it's going ). The gauge indicator was low so I pulled at the GAS pump and pumped 18 Gal of Gasoline. after I took off I noticed the sign " Diesel Only". OH...#@$#&* I am gonna kill every fly. By 10.30 I was smoking at 2:00 you could trace my movement on the streets of 1 Mile sq ft by 4:00 I must have destroyed every fly, insect even the bird were not safe from me. motorist pulls next to me and say: Bad engine? and I say ....Yep. I remember one time I was going to make my last pick-up and I was smoking heavily I guy was driving behind me getting covered w/ smoke, he was weaving left and right with passing option not available. When I finally got back to the building I could not even dare to park it in for unload.
next day I acted nothing happened.
So I wanted to get this off my chest and express my apology for the mechanic who had to clean the engine next day
I hope you found this amusing
Please Drive and Work Safe

mattwtrs

Retired Senior Member
How many other drivers have put the wrong fuel in a UPS vehicle? I bet every center has stories to tell. The time that automotive changed engines before checking for diesel fuel in the gas tank was the funniest! The mechanic was on vacation & another center's mechanic was covering and started the job. The replacement engine smoked & ran rough the same as the old (supposedly blown up) one.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I have put in the wrong fuel, too. We have both types, gas and diesel. Cardinal, if you had a deisel and put gas in it you are lucky you didn't blow up the engine. There is a reason that deisel has so much oil in it. From the sound of your description of the smoking I am guessing you had a gas engine and put deisel in it. Gas engines will run on deisel but will smoke like a chimney. No long term effects, but a deisel engine on gas will burn the cylinders and ruin the engine. Not a pretty sight to a mech. LOL

sx2700

Banned
I sense a troll. Diesel engines will not run on gasoline (no spark plugs). Gas engines will run on diesel though not very well.

Big Babooba

My diesel powered truck was filled up gas one day. I had the previous day off and a supervisor & a trainee covered my route. I started the engine and it knocked and smoked more than usual. I just passed it off as being cold since my truck was loaded outside. As I drove through the yard, I noticed that the engine lacked power. I left the property and noticed that the power & smoke situation wasn't getting better. I made it to the neighboring property whwen I turned around and brought it to the shop. The mechanic checked the fuel and red tagged the truck right there. I called my sup to the shop to find a spare. They pushed my truck to the fuel island and drained its tank into the underground gasoline tank. They said that the amount of diesel wouldn't affect the gas. I took off with my airs and a supervisor brought my truck out to me when the mechanics were done changing filters and purging the fuel lines. The two people who had the truck the day before just pointed their fingers at each other.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
years ago... when I just started driving I was overwhelmed with so many thing to know. In my second week of driving they assign me to cover a route that has a diesel truck ( I think you know where it's going ). The gauge indicator was low so I pulled at the GAS pump and pumped 18 Gal of Gasoline. after I took off I noticed the sign " Diesel Only". OH...#@$#&* I am gonna kill every fly. By 10.30 I was smoking at 2:00 you could trace my movement on the streets of 1 Mile sq ft by 4:00 I must have destroyed every fly, insect even the bird were not safe from me. motorist pulls next to me and say: Bad engine? and I say ....Yep. I remember one time I was going to make my last pick-up and I was smoking heavily I guy was driving behind me getting covered w/ smoke, he was weaving left and right with passing option not available. When I finally got back to the building I could not even dare to park it in for unload.
next day I acted nothing happened.
So I wanted to get this off my chest and express my apology for the mechanic who had to clean the engine next day
I hope you found this amusing
Please Drive and Work Safe
go and sin no more my son, oh yah !! 6 hail mary's and 2 our fathers for you!!!!!

Dutch Dawg

Yea I had a similar situtation once, only difference was I mistakenly put AVGas in my package car. Boy was I flying low all day. Got in an hour early and they sent me back out. Keep this to yourself...I vowed right then and there to be more diligent at the fuel pumps and it never happened again that I know of.

Or wait a minute...was it Jet A, anyways that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

W

westsideworma

Not a bad idea - accept that you still will have those folks that put the smaller nozzle in the oversized opening!

It really does seem like a good idea. Perhaps make it a different shaped one? However that probably wouldn't work either as often times we try to cram a square peg into a round hole around here (figuratively) enough as it is. :slap:

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Where I fuel my deisel truck on route there are pumps with big nozzles and small. The small must be for cars and light trucks. I had the first deisel in our center in 1995 and while on vacation one of the cover drivers put gas in it. Someone caught him while he was fueling so it didn't wreck the engine.

Cementups

Box Monkey
Our carwash guys fuel our trucks. It happens about once or twice a year in our building. It always shocks me that these people do this everyday and yet this mistake surfaces once in a while.

T

The Cardinal

You guys are right.( scary huh...? still cant get it right) it was gas engine that poured diesel fuel in it. you are not suppose to able to that because the gas tank inlet hole is smaller but I guess this was not

JustTired

free at last.......
Drivers fill their tanks around here. Who ever thought that you could make $40+/hr pumping gas?

"Check that windshield, sir?"

Big Babooba

It really does seem like a good idea. Perhaps make it a different shaped one? However that probably wouldn't work either as often times we try to cram a square peg into a round hole around here (figuratively) enough as it is. :slap:
It wouldn't matter. You've heard the old saying - Where there's a will, there's a way.