My hours are driving me crazy and I don't know what to do.

HyperDream

For context I only started almost a year ago so I'm fairly new. I've been getting called in to work my local sort (5:30pm-9:00pm) then sometimes preload (3AM-8:00AM). Somedays I drive 8am-6pm then be expected to MAYBE work preload 3am the next day. So im summary I have to stay available all day and night Monday through Saturday because they want me to work every shift they're hurting on. I'm a hard worker, I never complain about anything, but working all these different shifts is taking a toll on me already. At the moment I'm holding out hope I build my seniority and only drive but currently it's unbearable. Any advice?

PT Car Washer

For context I only started almost a year ago so I'm fairly new. I've been getting called in to work my local sort (5:30pm-9:00pm) then sometimes preload (3AM-8:00AM). Somedays I drive 8am-6pm then be expected to MAYBE work preload 3am the next day. So im summary I have to stay available all day and night Monday through Saturday because they want me to work every shift they're hurting on. I'm a hard worker, I never complain about anything, but working all these different shifts is taking a toll on me already. At the moment I'm holding out hope I build my seniority and only drive but currently it's unbearable. Any advice?
Sure that you are not violating Hours of Service rules when you are driving? The company and the DOT are very strict on this.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Work your regular shift tell them to piss up a rope on the rest mate

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
If you drive til 6pm, you can't work again until 4am the next day or you can't drive that day. If you work local sort you either can't work preload or you can't drive the next day. You have to have 10 hours off between shifts. If you got over 8 hrs in a day, don't be afraid to refuse extra work due to fatigue for safety reasons.

Kingofthenorth

If you drive til 6pm, you can't work again until 4am the next day or you can't drive that day. If you work local sort you either can't work preload or you can't drive the next day. You have to have 10 hours off between shifts. If you got over 8 hrs in a day, don't be afraid to refuse extra work due to fatigue for safety reasons.
Is the 8 hour fatigue rule really a thing?

HyperDream

I was
You a 22.4?
Reg temp, but I've been told that's the same as part time at my center

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King

No, I want to be a driver
Then suck it in and take it sideways with a smile.
Eat whatever they give you. Be their go to guy.
When you are just about ready to go off the clock, look at them with longing eyes and ask, "Do I have to leave?"
All pain, bitching, pissing and moaning, and crying must be kept stored away in the depths of your soul. Do not verbalize anything except how much you enjoy this job.

Once you make seniority as a driver, let the games begin.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I told then to jam it sideways for air driver for years. regular temp would be like someone telling me to go to management.

All you have is the DOT and your own valid concerns for fatigue.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Is the 8 hour fatigue rule really a thing?

No, but if he worked preload, then went out and drove and got his guaranteed number of hours, he shouldn't feel like he has to stay and do local sort too. I picked 8 hrs because that's the guaranteed amount of time. It'd be more likely to be ten or twelve. Their rule is "I am the person most responsible for my safety." See them try to write you up if you can't do extra work, after working two shifts, due to exhaustion.

Drink Craft Beer

If you're not on a PT schedule that week, then don't answer your phone if they call you. You're not obligated to answer and won't get punished for not doing so.