A few questions as a new employee?

Chae Yi

Hi, I just got hired as a combination driver. I wanted to ask you REAL employees a few questions that I have.

1. I read that regular driver's top rate is significantly higher than combination driver(about 40 vs 35 per hour). How do I become a regular driver? Do they even hire anymore RPCD??

2. When does benefit start? Health, 401k, Stock discount.

3. Are you drivers financially stable? I mean can you afford a house, car, feed family and have some saving for retirement?

Hi, I just got hired as a combination driver. I wanted to ask you REAL employees a few questions that I have.

1. I read that regular driver's top rate is significantly higher than combination driver(about 40 vs 35 per hour). How do I become a regular driver? Do they even hire anymore RPCD??

3. Are you drivers financially stable? I mean can you afford a house, car, feed family and have some saving for retirement?
22.4 driver?

Do the math. $20/hr starting X 40hrs a week is $800 + OT but don't count on OT.

542thruNthru

You're lucky I've been drinking and I have a good feeling about you.

1. Yes RPCDs make more. Yes they will hire more and depending on your area rules will determine where you are on the list for that. Read this to help understand your position. Also raises for the years are at the bottom.
Screenshot_20190719-203058_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
Screenshot_20190719-203117_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

2. 9 months for health benefits. We don't get a 401k match but I believe you can start it when ever.

3. Yes. You can make a good living but it's very hard work and stressful. Very long hours too.

RDL

Financially stable? Hardly. Most of us get into this position just to afford child support for our 10 bastards and still have enough greenbacks left over to maintain a mailing address for Teamsters to send their quarterly newsletter to.

Financially stable? Hardly. Most of us get into this position just to afford child support for our 10 bastards and still have enough greenbacks left over to maintain a mailing address for Teamsters to send their quarterly newsletter to.
40 to 50k a year starting out is not too shabby. Along with the opportunity to double that in 5 years. Then in another 10 or 15 years you could bid into a Feeder job. Retire before you turn 60.

KoennenTiger

Just pretend you're a utilabuse drive, but you didn't have to work for years as a hub rat. I mean we make more than you but at least you'll be on a progression. It's a good career. We get a good life, but my goodness yeah you earn it.

RDL

40 to 50k a year starting out is not too shabby. Along with the opportunity to double that in 5 years. Then in another 10 or 15 years you could bid into a Feeder job. Retire before you turn 60.
I know, I know. I was just dramatizing with a smack of facetious to illustrate that some of these drivers let themselves fall into such dire financial circumstances where even a gainful job like RPCD won’t pay for their extravagant lifestyles.

8000Shelf

A few years back it wasn't unheard of for guys to work part time for 5 to 10 years waiting their turn to drive. You'll be top rate by then.
Be ready to pay your dues tho bud. Seniority sucks until you're the one who has it. We all have to start at the bottom

JustDeliverIt

Some of this is going to depend on where in the country you are. @542thruNthru gave entire description of the job, read through it for details and know your rights.

Benefits vary by region, have to know where in the country you are to know exactly when everything starts.

You are guaranteed 40 hours a week. Base your life on that and you should be ok. Again, depends where in the country you are. The 60-70k you make the first few years goes a lot further in some parts of the country than others.

Methods Man

Some of this is going to depend on where in the country you are. @542thruNthru gave entire description of the job, read through it for details and know your rights.

Benefits vary by region, have to know where in the country you are to know exactly when everything starts.

You are guaranteed 40 hours a week. Base your life on that and you should be ok. Again, depends where in the country you are. The 60-70k you make the first few years goes a lot further in some parts of the country than others.

The 40 hours a week is kinda meh, most drivers starting off will be laid off on mondays so you’ll only work tues-Friday (depending on your hub/center’s situation of course). So it’s more appropriate to say your guaranteed 8hrs a day *when you do work*.

542thruNthru

The 40 hours a week is kinda meh, most drivers starting off will be laid off on mondays so you’ll only work tues-Friday (depending on your hub/center’s situation of course). So it’s more appropriate to say your guaranteed 8hrs a day *when you do work*.

He's talking about 22.4s they don't work Mondays.

Wontmake9.5

My job is fun

Credit makes everything affordable. Just ask for more stops and OT

KoennenTiger

Some of these kids have a hard time grasping this

They think as soon as they walk in the door they should have the best route the best PC the best preloader

That’s not how it works

I took a day off and some cover guy whose name I actually know now ran my route. I come back and he's telling me all about how he killed it, he got my route down so fast. The smugness and lack of humility almost made me vomit.

Ok now go away guy I barely know.

Go out on route and the guy sure did kill it. NI1 all my apartment buildings, skipped several pickups, way to go.

He just got suspended Friday. I'm not sure he's gonna make it. He's pretty young though hopefully the time off will fix his brain

DriverNerd

If a regular package car driver (at full scale) can't afford to have a comfortable life, either they live in a very expensive area (SF, NY, etc) or are not good with money.