A possible MLK Holiday Solution?

noril

He saying if they give you another day off, they’re going to want something in return.
I figure the company will want even more "in return" if we were to hold our ground on MLK Day as opposed to settle for another discretionary day which gives people who really want MLK Day off the option to get it with pay

Thebrownblob

I propose we should have any day off PAID that ends in the letter Y.
1682902375182.gif

Thebrownblob

I figure the company will want even more "in return" if we were to hold our ground on MLK Day as opposed to settle for another discretionary day which gives people who really want MLK Day off the option to get it with pay
You could be right, but the company might look pretty bad denying both Martin Luther King day and Juneteenth. Your idea is fine as well I’m just saying they might not like the publicity of not giving one of those two days at least, we shall see.

You could be right, but the company might look pretty bad denying both Martin Luther King day and Juneteenth. Your idea is fine as well I’m just saying they might not like the publicity of not giving one of those two days at least, we shall see.
You could be right but in my part of the country no one knows what Juneteenth is and MLK birthday is a banker Holiday.

noril

I don't think there is a perfect answer here.

I grew up and live in a community where there is a significant Jewish population, so we didn't have school on Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur which the school board just made "vacation days" because they felt it was too much trouble to have class with like 25% of the students absent.

I think it is conceivable that MLK Day could evolve into as important a national holiday as something like Labor Day, but I don't think we've reached that point yet as a society, so that is why I am figuring an extra discretionary day is a better solution for everyone involved

noril

I have to admit, I really didn’t know much about Juneteenth until a couple years ago. Obviously, everyone knows about MLK day.
Holidays seem to fall in one of three categories...

Major national holidays: New Year, Memorial Day, 4th of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving and Christmas...Transit systems run on Sunday schedules

Other national holidays: MLK Day, Presidents Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day... Transit systems on weekday schedule, schools, banks and government offices closed

State and Local holidays: Lincoln's birthday here in Illinois... Transit systems on weekday schedule, schools closed

noril

Excessive OT has always been a problem. It’s a problem that isn’t going away anytime soon.
The Union and the company just agreed to pass the excessive OT over to lower paid 22.4 delivery drivers.
Now those are among the really big issues on which I believe the Teamsters need to stand their ground.

If I was a gambling man I would wager that injuries would be reduced by cutting down on the overtime and that it would ultimately be in the financial interests of UPS to do just that

542thruNthru

If someone really wants MLK day they can already use a discretionary day. The point is no one wants to have to use a discretionary day for a holiday they believe they should already be off.

govols019

You smell that?
Good Friday over Juneteenth?

SMH, obviously you are an extremist white christian nationalist maga republican.

Come on guys, don't be bigots, we need to fight for both MLK and Juneteenth days as paid holidays.
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what Juneteenth even is...first I'd ever heard of it was when they brought it up in negotiations... something to do with slavery is all I know.

I'm cool with MLK day as long as we don't give up a different holiday...seems to me that more business are off on Good Friday than MLK day.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
To be honest, I'm not entirely sure what Juneteenth even is...first I'd ever heard of it was when they brought it up in negotiations... something to do with slavery is all I know.

I'm cool with MLK day as long as we don't give up a different holiday...seems to me that more business are off on Good Friday than MLK day.
The union soldiers arrived in Galveston Tx. and told the slaves the war was over and that they were free. That was on June 19th, 1865. Now you know.