A Repeat of 1997

Seymour Packages

Is a repeat of 1997 ever possible again? I was in high school when my dad went on strike in '97, and I will never forget the pride he felt standing up to this company. The membership was involved, united, and brought UPS to its knees. Good memories indeed. If UPS brings its typical scumbaggery to the negotiating table during upcoming contract negotiations, will the current membership have the unity, critical thinking skills, and fortitude to vote to strike if necessary? I'm not optimistic. The IBT is a shell of what it once was. Fear, apathy, and selfishness have polluted the ranks. I'm putting money away and will vote "no" if the contract is trash. If another "best contract ever" is pushed through, the dominoes will begin to fall, in my humble opinion, and the decline will accelerate.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I knew we'd win that struggle , we had the whole country behind us , when it was over , all my customers told me how glad they were for us

JustDeliverIt

Is a repeat of 1997 ever possible again? I was in high school when my dad went on strike in '97, and I will never forget the pride he felt standing up to this company. The membership was involved, united, and brought UPS to its knees. Good memories indeed. If UPS brings its typical scumbaggery to the negotiating table during upcoming contract negotiations, will the current membership have the unity, critical thinking skills, and fortitude to vote to strike if necessary? I'm not optimistic. The IBT is a shell of what it once was. Fear, apathy, and selfishness have polluted the ranks. I'm putting money away and will vote "no" if the contract is trash. If another "best contract ever" is pushed through, the dominoes will begin to fall, in my humble opinion, and the decline will accelerate.

I will say that I never want to have to strike but would like to know that if it was deemed necessary the IBT and members, we would use every tool needed to succeed and would support it. That being said, I don't think it will ever happen unless the company wants to take away or reduce medical benefits, pension or raises.

The company knows they will not get the votes from part timers to drive real change. Most FT employees don't like working conditions or some aspect of the job but have families and responsibilities that they have grown accustomed to, usual rate of wage increases and the lifestyle this job has provided them. Are we ever going to have the biggest house in town, no. But many of us can live a good life at top rate where we are. I don't think that many FT would upset the ranks as long as nothing drastic is done. We voted the last contract down and it didn't matter, complacency has set it with a lot of people.

Also, like @Covemastah said, Teamsters had public support. I don't think this would ever be the case again unless something egregious was done by the company. UPS always touts how we have the top pay and benefits in the industry and unions are usually unjustly vilified as breeding lazy workers. Many people don't have insight into what we do on a daily basis. When I explain every aspect of our job to friends or family they are amazed at the amount we are scrutinized. John Q. Public wouldn't be on board.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I will say that I never want to have to strike but would like to know that if it was deemed necessary the IBT and members, we would use every tool needed to succeed and would support it. That being said, I don't think it will ever happen unless the company wants to take away or reduce medical benefits, pension or raises.

The company knows they will not get the votes from part timers to drive real change. Most FT employees don't like working conditions or some aspect of the job but have families and responsibilities that they have grown accustomed to, usual rate of wage increases and the lifestyle this job has provided them. Are we ever going to have the biggest house in town, no. But many of us can live a good life at top rate where we are. I don't think that many FT would upset the ranks as long as nothing drastic is done. We voted the last contract down and it didn't matter, complacency has set it with a lot of people.

Also, like @Covemastah said, Teamsters had public support. I don't think this would ever be the case again unless something egregious was done by the company. UPS always touts how we have the top pay and benefits in the industry and unions are usually unjustly vilified as breeding lazy workers. Many people don't have insight into what we do on a daily basis. When I explain every aspect of our job to friends or family they are amazed at the amount we are scrutinized. John Q. Public wouldn't be on board.
Especially feeders- hard work.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
No. Leadership wants dues flowing in. They are more interested in supporting liberals that screw them over the union worker time and time again. This is why they override the membership's vote and give us 22.4 type jobs.

Still getting it---so far. 1997 was 24 years ago for petes sake.
Damn you’re old. 1997 was the year to save everyone’s pension. 24 years later, you have the UPS 30 year pension paying 3400 vs the 3000 proposal in ‘97.

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
6 figures to move cardboard box from A-B.

Strike!!!
meanwhile, i tried to leave my house this morning to go shopping but i couldn't get out of my driveway because an amazon driver had blocked not only my driveway but the entire cul-de-sac to deliver to a neighbor. i sat there and watched as he struggled half heartedly to keep his pants above his knees, but some very important text messages kept him focused on his phone. he got back into his van and sat there staring at his phone until my wife asked me why he wasn't moving. i had already moved my car to the end of my driveway so i tapped my horn and that seemed to offend him, so he stared at me for interrupting his important personal communications before pulling forward and over so i could get out.

542thruNthru

meanwhile, i tried to leave my house this morning to go shopping but i couldn't get out of my driveway because an amazon driver had blocked not only my driveway but the entire cul-de-sac to deliver to a neighbor. i sat there and watched as he struggled half heartedly to keep his pants above his knees, but some very important text messages kept him focused on his phone. he got back into his van and sat there staring at his phone until my wife asked me why he wasn't moving. i had already moved my car to the end of my driveway so i tapped my horn and that seemed to offend him, so he stared at me for interrupting his important personal communications before pulling forward and over so i could get out.
And 99% of the customers don't care because he still delivered the package.

So what's your point?