A useful hack to defeat forced ORION—on topic

Whither

Scofflaw
My guess is he probably never got trained on properly delivering apartments to begin with. I have a similar bulk business stop, and found out that I should technically be using the "dup com" function in the prerecord screen if I'm not attempting the physical addresses first years after I started delivering there. But that would require me to scan each address individually, prerecord them, and then do the dup com. For this particular stop that doesn't work very well. I have asked three different on roads about it, and they all have told me just to keep doing it the way I have been. I basically scan a package addressed to the actual delivery location. Then I scan all the packages that go there, regardless of the address on the package. It shows in tracking that the packages were delivered to a different address, but I've only had to do two follow ups as a result of that. They scan everything that comes in, and I just have them look up the package, see that they received it, and they sign the follow up accordingly. @Whither could probably do the same thing without issue, but should probably ask a sup first.

This is exactly how the sup trained me to sheet these apt stops. DIAD goes bananas. It sounds like my situation and method is basically the same as yours, except of course my stops are resis. I have to use prerecord at these stops simply to double check that I've found and scanned all the packages for each address. This is the first I've heard about the "dup stop" function. But you're saying that you don't dup stop this bulk business stop after all?

Whither

Scofflaw
Advice?
1. Stop trying to fix the route. Even if you figure out the best way to sequence it the boss will not spend the time to fix it.
2. Stop working off the clock.
3. Stop missing stops and delivering air late. Concentrate on these because you will be disciplined for them. If it makes you get less done, oh well. Just communicate that you will need help at the end.
4. Your day is comprised of time commits. Get your NDA off in time...Get your business that closes early off before closing time. Get your business savers off in time. Start your pickups on time. Check your load for any remaining business BEFORE 4:30. Get your 5pm business off in time. These priorities outweigh saving miles or following trace.. Skip all resis if nessesary to avoid missed stops and late air. At 5pm and you should only have resis left. You will have informed them much earlier that you will need help with the resis. If they don't send help, it is on them. If you will be out more than 14 hours, let them know, and then bring the rest in missed to avoid going over 14 hours.
5. You are a seniority driver. If you continue to work off the clock they will continue to slam you with stops. STOP IT! You are working till 10pm because they know you will work off the clock. You will not get done earier by working off the clock. You will only get more stops.

I appreciate the point you're emphasizing. However: point 1 conflicts with points 3 and 4. Every single day I have no choice but to "fix the route" in order to make service. Every single day I have numerous businesses tossed in the back half of the manifest. Every single day I am discovering another business I hadn't yet to delivered to. Every single day I let them know I will need help. I don't think I'm in danger of getting more stops since every day so far I've gotten help with 1/8th to 1/4 of the route.

Another thing that makes this route atrocious is there is no possibility of doing a pickup "run" ... instead there are 20 pickups that you have to weave into the day. And 3 scheduled at 415, each business closes at 430. I've learned I can't rely on any of these 3 to be ready earlier than 410.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
Case in point.....
I ignore orion when running the town that is on my route. It has me hop skipping all over myself and it is not a large town.
It ranges from 130 to 190 depending on the day.
I run it business first and then sweep the east side residential and then the west
I can clean that up in say 5-6 hours......
When others run the town the diad leads them around like the blind and they end up missing stops.....
see the issue?
Orion is not the savior of this company
It will be its demise.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
This is exactly how the sup trained me to sheet these apt stops. DIAD goes bananas. It sounds like my situation and method is basically the same as yours, except of course my stops are resis. I have to use prerecord at these stops simply to double check that I've found and scanned all the packages for each address. This is the first I've heard about the "dup stop" function. But you're saying that you don't dup stop this bulk business stop after all?

The way I understand it is the dup com or dup res will make it so you do not get credit as if you attempted each individual address, but it will keep the original address for tracking purposes, then it will show in tracking where it was actually delivered as well. The method I use for the one stop also only gives me credit for the one stop, but does not keep the original address for tracking purposes. There are several reasons why this alternate method has been approved for this one stop, but I don't want to get too specific as to why. Just check with your sup about how you should be sheeting those apartments.

Most apartments I deliver to you have to make an attempt at the apartment first, then if no one is home you prerecord. Once you've attempted all the apartments, you go back in to the prerecord screen and hit la res next to each stop, hit the signature key, and get a signature from the office manager. In cases where you don't attempt the individual stops first, you would hit the dup res key instead of la res.

On the other hand, I always deliver hotel packages straight to the front desk without prerecording different rooms separately and have never had a problem with that either.

Whither

Scofflaw
The way I understand it is the dup com or dup res will make it so you do not get credit as if you attempted each individual address, but it will keep the original address for tracking purposes, then it will show in tracking where it was actually delivered as well. The method I use for the one stop also only gives me credit for the one stop, but does not keep the original address for tracking purposes. There are several reasons why this alternate method has been approved for this one stop, but I don't want to get too specific as to why. Just check with your sup about how you should be sheeting those apartments.

Most apartments I deliver to you have to make an attempt at the apartment first, then if no one is home you prerecord. Once you've attempted all the apartments, you go back in to the prerecord screen and hit la res next to each stop, hit the signature key, and get a signature from the office manager. In cases where you don't attempt the individual stops first, you would hit the dup res key instead of la res.

On the other hand, I always deliver hotel packages straight to the front desk without prerecording different rooms separately and have never had a problem with that either.

As I said, I am sheeting these apts the way the sup sheeted them and directed me. When I worked at a hotel, I think mgmt would've discouraged any UPS driver from making an attempt to the room. Holding packages for pickup at the guest's convenience is part of the service.

To address @35years concern about me getting termed for dishonesty for not making attempts at the delivery point: 1. the sup did the sheeting when training me on the route 2. the apts have posted signs directing couriers to deliver at the package center -- they single out Amazon "Do not leave packages here!" ha 3. this is the established practice of the bid driver as well. We do have to attempt over-70 and extra-large irregs at one complex.

However. I do understand that the method at apts is to make an attempt at the delivery point first and only la res at the office if not-in. These are pricey, secured apts. Never even seen an access code in the notes. The package center is one of the amenities; each staffs its own clerks.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
As I said, I am sheeting these apts the way the sup sheeted them and directed me. When I worked at a hotel, I think mgmt would've discouraged any UPS driver from making an attempt to the room. Holding packages for pickup at the guest's convenience is part of the service.

To address @35years concern about me getting termed for dishonesty for not making attempts at the delivery point: 1. the sup did the sheeting when training me on the route 2. the apts have posted signs directing couriers to deliver at the package center -- they single out Amazon "Do not leave packages here!" ha 3. this is the established practice of the bid driver as well. We do have to attempt over-70 and extra-large irregs at one complex.

However. I do understand that the method at apts is to make an attempt at the delivery point first and only la res at the office if not-in. These are pricey, secured apts. Never even seen an access code in the notes. The package center is one of the amenities; each staffs its own clerks.

It's all good, just sharing some info. I never knew what the dup keys were for until I stumbled on a post on here about it. We do have some apartments in our area that are the same way as yours, and I think everyone just sheets them under a single stop, no prerecord or LA.

35years

Gravy route

The termination would not be for not attempting at the individual apartments but rather for not hitting duplicate stop and taking credit for 20 stops when you actually only went to one central office.

I have had many supervisors show me sheeting tricks to make it look better on paper. When the hearing happens and it is your job or his... the supervisor will deny training you that way. Easy way to see....Ask your steward to go into the center manager's office with you. Ask the center manager if it is ok to take credit for 20 stops when delivering to that one office.

By taking 20 stops you are not following corporate methods and are risking your job. It doesn't matter that the bid driver sheets them that way. The supervisors will look the other way because it makes their numbers look good. Eventually you will have a center manager or DM who for what ever reason wants you gone. By sheeting that way they always have your nads in hand...termination for dishonesty...falsifying delivery records.

Ask yourself ...is it worth risking my job to make my supervisor look good? Do I want to supply my bosses a ready made excuse to fire me? Unless you review with the supervisor that you are not to hit dup stop in front of a solid steward, your excuse that the supervisor did it that way will not hold up.

Last edited:

Whither

Scofflaw
The termination would not be for not attempting at the individual apartments but rather for not hitting duplicate stop and taking credit for 20 stops when you actually only went to one central office.

I have had many supervisors show me sheeting tricks to make it look better on paper. When the hearing happens and it is your job or his... the supervisor will deny training you that way. Easy way to see....Ask your steward to go into the center manager's office with you. Ask the center manager if it is ok to take credit for 20 stops when delivering to that one office.

By taking 20 stops you are not following corporate methods and are risking your job. It doesn't matter that the bid driver sheets them that way. The supervisors will look the other way because it makes their numbers look good. Eventually you will have a center manager or DM who for what ever reason wants you gone. By sheeting that way they always have your nads in hand...termination for dishonesty...falsifying delivery records.

Ask yourself ...is it worth risking my job to make my supervisor look good? Do I want to supply my bosses a ready made excuse to fire me? Unless you review with the supervisor that you are not to hit dup stop in front of a solid steward, your excuse that the supervisor did it that way will not hold up.

I think something's getting lost in translation here. I'm sheeting all these packages under a single stop and getting one signature, not sheeting up each stop separately and getting numerous signatures.

I'll double check today, but if you hadn't said anything, I'd be certain this method only gives me credit for one stop. For example, yesterday I went out with a reasonable stop count. First time I've completed this route by myself. Center had me take 15 stops off another driver before heading back. Delivered those and still had completed less stops than I was originally dispatched.

Whither

Scofflaw
Since we're on the subject: when delivering the other driver's stops I sheeted one stop NSN. Area was unfamiliar, kept my eyes peeled in case I had missed something. Drove around a curve toward my next stop and turns out I had, e.g., I attempted delivery on Coverass St but package was addressed to West Coverass St, which I discovered around the bend. So I voided the NSN stop and delivered to the correct location. Does voiding a stop cancel your credit for attempting it? Or should I have dup res'd my attempt to the correct location?

9.5er

Once you found the house you could have simply scanned the package hit dup soft key then big arrow down and DR package.
By hitting “dup” on the address screen it takes the stop credit away and over rides the NSN designation from the previous stop.

Whither

Scofflaw
Once you found the house you could have simply scanned the package hit dup soft key then big arrow down and DR package.
By hitting “dup” on the address screen it takes the stop credit away and over rides the NSN designation from the previous stop.

So voiding is unnecessary? If so this would also come in handy for not-in when the customer shows after I've stop-conpleted but before I've driven away.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
Since we're on the subject: when delivering the other driver's stops I sheeted one stop NSN. Area was unfamiliar, kept my eyes peeled in case I had missed something. Drove around a curve toward my next stop and turns out I had, e.g., I attempted delivery on Coverass St but package was addressed to West Coverass St, which I discovered around the bend. So I voided the NSN stop and delivered to the correct location. Does voiding a stop cancel your credit for attempting it? Or should I have dup res'd my attempt to the correct location?
Who cares about credit? You are getting paid to deliver it or even attempt to deliver it. Let your management worry about their fairy tale numbers. I'll never understand why so many drivers worry about made up allowances. It's just a mind game designed to get you to donate your time to an unworthy cause.

Whither

Scofflaw
Who cares about credit? You are getting paid to deliver it or even attempt to deliver it. Let your management worry about their fairy tale numbers. I'll never understand why so many drivers worry about made up allowances. It's just a mind game designed to get you to donate your time to an unworthy cause.

What started this sidebar was a driver concerned that I would get termed for dishonesty for 'taking credit' for stops I didn't attempt. Had utterly nothing to do with 'time allowances' haha.

gman042

Been around the block a few times
What started this sidebar was a driver concerned that I would get termed for dishonesty for 'taking credit' for stops I didn't attempt. Had utterly nothing to do with 'time allowances' haha.

Different consignee = another stop to add to the count. No matter where I leave it.

35years

Gravy route
I think something's getting lost in translation here. I'm sheeting all these packages under a single stop and getting one signature, not sheeting up each stop separately and getting numerous signatures.

I'll double check today, but if you hadn't said anything, I'd be certain this method only gives me credit for one stop.
If you are sheeting using LA-resi and not hitting DUP stop (as you stated) you are getting credit for multiple stops even though you are getting only one signature and only making an attempt at one physical location. This is incorrect sheeting and considered dishonesty....falsifying delivery records which is cause for termination. If you had made attempts at each bldg, left notes, and then brought them to the office for a signature you would be sheeting correctly. You had better ask your center manager in the presence of a union steward to demonstrate the correct method for sheeting these.

Last edited:

35years

Gravy route
Different consignee = another stop to add to the count. No matter where I leave it.
Only if you physically attempted at each consignee. Otherwise you are risking termination. It is called stroking stops, and is considered falsifying records.

Why drivers risk their jobs to make their supervisor look good is beyond me.