A useful hack to defeat forced ORION—on topic

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
But demanding ORION compliance while at the same time holding us responsible and threatening discipline for the service failures that result from ORION compliance is oversupervision and harassment, which we do have contractual protection from.
They want to have it both ways and they cant.
If that is the case at your center can I assume that it has been and continues to be documented by muliple grievances?

Wait a minute, I thought you said the Company has instructed you to not use ORION and that this thread was about "hacks" to get around the inconvenience of the removal of the RDO manifest option on your DIAD?

I'm confused?....how can they demand compliance, while instructing you to not use it???

Overpaid Union Thug

BTW does anyone actually use the map feature?
I took a look at it when I returned to work last week (I was on disability when RDO got taken out and the map installed) and not only is it functionally useless and saddled with graphics out of a 35 year old Atari system, but it will drain the DIAD battery flat by noon. And of course, none of the new cars we are getting are set up with a charging port for electronics...
I do. My route is a dense resi route and even though I know the streets and number breaks well I don't always know which way to turn. And that's due to the fact that I don't have the birds eye view of the neighborhoods required to see that turning right will result in traveling 50 more feet to my next stop than turning left.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
If that is the case at your center can I assume that it has been and continues to be documented by muliple grievances?

Wait a minute, I thought you said the Company has instructed you to not use ORION and that this thread was about "hacks" to get around the inconvenience of the removal of the RDO manifest option on your DIAD?

I'm confused?....how can they demand compliance, while instructing you to not use it???
I personally have been told not to follow ORION until such time as they have had an opportunity to “fix” the trace for my route.
Other drivers, however, have been talked to about their compliance metrics and there is a push in my building to get people to follow ORION.
Yet every day we get the same message at 2:00 reminding us to go thru our trucks and check for NDA savers and misloads and to break trace if needed to make service on these.
Follow it...but dont follow it.
Think...but dont think too much.
Make smart decisions...but generate your 85% metric.
They want to have their cake and eat it too.

old levi's

blank space
That checking the truck for misloads always made me mad.
They didn't send anyone on the clock out to my area to check every DR to ensure they were left at the correct address. I performed my job at a high standard.

Dr.Brownz

And this is what it comes down to. So many drivers egos make them prove they can beat Orion.

I couldn't care less about proving I'm
Better than the computer.
\
Beating ORION means nothing. They purposely scramble the routes and put early commit times on pickups so that the route looks like they need to break alot of times to get miles up. But it still takes an hour longer than what the scambles estimate is because of poor loading.

Whither

Scofflaw
Why does that matter? When I was in package I had Orion and I had the same dumb PCM'S about trace. It got to the point where I got so tired of hearing it I just starting following it 100%. I did my airs, then started house stops. I'd call in everyday at about 11:30 asking for business help and the sup would flip because I hadn't done one business. I reminded him of the PCM and then I was threatened to be fired. Oh well. They ended up telling me with my shop steward to never again follow Orion and that I would never be pulled in the office again for trace. I was never again in the office for it after that meeting. Easy. (That's when when we had both Orion and EDD in the DIAD)

Now if Orion was the only thing loaded in my board I would have told them I am following the board because I'm not making decisions where if I make a mistake a saver gets missed.

A bit of a necropost, but the route I'm covering is giving me fits thanks to Orion. I got 7.5 hours of training on it with a sup behind the wheel. Discovered new businesses each day I've ran it. I warned them last Friday, my 3rd day alone, about late savers and missed businesses. The sent help too late, which of course takes time in its own right, and didn't punch out til 10p. Had about 8 late savers and missed total. Would've punched after 930p even wo the off-area misload they had me attempt. Stupid. Even with the misload, if I'd had reasonable dispatching could've punched out by 8 at the latest w no help, lates, or missed. What would you (any of you) recommend to a newly-minted cover driver?

I'm on loan to another center in my building. The printers don't even work. Spent an hour printing a map and doing scab homework this morning because I figure a stitch in time saves nine. Hate doing that, but felt like I was totally winging it last Friday, ugh, and can't work that way. It's dangerous and demoralizing. Guess I still feel vulnerable since I have, what, a couple weeks seniority. Would love to see a widespread rank and file commitment to follow Orion 100% to show the company it's nonsense but not holding my breath.

Planning to talk to my loaner sup tomorrow, show him the trace I've devised, let him know my grievances with Orion, the route's sequence numbers, etc. Route has two resi bulk stops, 75-125 pieces daily between the two stops. 25-40 unique street addresses at each. Orion doesn't have an effing clue that these are secured apartments and in each case the packages must go to a central leasing office/package center. In both cases the buildings are dispersed over 2 square miles. So they're PAL'd all over the place, in the board they're listed as individual stops ... and you have to LA-resi each effing package. Lunacy.

Last edited:

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
A bit of a necropost, but the route I'm covering is giving me fits thanks to Orion. I got 7.5 hours of training on it with a sup behind the wheel. Discovered new businesses each day I've ran it. I warned them last Friday, my 3rd day alone, about late savers and missed businesses. The sent help too late, which of course takes time in its own right, and didn't punch out til 10p. Had about 8 late savers and missed total. Would've punched after 930p even wo the off-area misload they had me attempt. Stupid. Even with the misload, if I'd had reasonable dispatching could've punched out by 8 at the latest w no help, lates, or missed. What would you (any of you) recommend to a newly-minted cover driver?

I'm on loan to another center in my building. The printers don't even work. Spent an hour printing a map and doing scab homework this morning because I figure a stitch in time saves nine. Hate doing that, but felt like I was totally winging it last Friday, ugh, and can't work that way. It's dangerous and demoralizing. Guess I still feel vulnerable since I have, what, a couple weeks seniority. Would love to see a widespread rank and file commitment to follow Orion 100% to show the company it's nonsense but not holding my breath.

Planning to talk to my loaner sup tomorrow, show him the trace I've devised, let him know my grievances with Orion, the route's sequence numbers, etc. Route has two resi bulk stops, 75-125 pieces daily between the two stops. 25-40 unique street addresses at each. Orion doesn't have an effing clue that these are secured apartments and in each case the packages must go to a central leasing office/package center. In both cases the buildings are dispersed over 2 square miles. So they're PAL'd all over the place, in the board they're listed as individual stops ... and you have to LA-resi each effing package. Lunacy.
Relax. Follow their plan and if you have any issues put the ball in their court. Give them plenty of heads up if you're gonna have late airs/ missed business/ not make 9.5.

ACmoses

Relax. Follow their plan and if you have any issues put the ball in their court. Give them plenty of heads up if you're gonna have late airs/ missed business/ not make 9.5.
The sad part is our local management do not have ant authority to fix Orion to begin with. They know how screwed up it is.

NTGhost

oh my...wonder what would happens if they try orion in Europe...if it don't even work in the US...in city´s they are sometimes like chessboards.

It would be totally fun to watch the operation burn down like a firestorm. every day missed, lates and every driver goes over 10 every day. (in Germany it is forbidden by law that workers work more then 10 Hours per day, UPS got caught bloody handed several times and the Government is now quite serious to enforce this)

Maple Grove MN Driver

Cocaine Mang!
oh my...wonder what would happens if they try orion in Europe...if it don't even work in the US...in city´s they are sometimes like chessboards.

It would be totally fun to watch the operation burn down like a firestorm. every day missed, lates and every driver goes over 10 every day. (in Germany it is forbidden by law that workers work more then 10 Hours per day, UPS got caught bloody handed several times and the Government is now quite serious to enforce this)
Can't work over 10 hours a day?

NTGhost

nope not as a employee. It is forbidden by law and companys can get in real trouble if they force employees to work longer.
because history has shown that companys exploit this nearly every time. if you are freelancer or self-employed you can work whatever you want.

35years

Gravy route

Advice?
1. Stop trying to fix the route. Even if you figure out the best way to sequence it the boss will not spend the time to fix it.
2. Stop working off the clock.
3. Stop missing stops and delivering air late. Concentrate on these because you will be disciplined for them. If it makes you get less done, oh well. Just communicate that you will need help at the end.
4. Your day is comprised of time commits. Get your NDA off in time...Get your business that closes early off before closing time. Get your business savers off in time. Start your pickups on time. Check your load for any remaining business BEFORE 4:30. Get your 5pm business off in time. These priorities outweigh saving miles or following trace.. Skip all resis if nessesary to avoid missed stops and late air. At 5pm and you should only have resis left. You will have informed them much earlier that you will need help with the resis. If they don't send help, it is on them. If you will be out more than 14 hours, let them know, and then bring the rest in missed to avoid going over 14 hours.
5. You are a seniority driver. If you continue to work off the clock they will continue to slam you with stops. STOP IT! You are working till 10pm because they know you will work off the clock. You will not get done earier by working off the clock. You will only get more stops.

Last edited:

35years

Gravy route
Do you use the prerecord function?
I noticed that also. If he is taking 20-40 separate stops for 2 mandated central offices/package centers the possibility of a termination for dishonesty looms large. And when push comes to shove the on-road will claim he did not tell the driver to sheet them that way.

The new driver should bring it up with the on-road with a steward and a second driver present as witnesses.

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I noticed that also. If he is taking 20-40 separate stops for 2 mandated central offices/package centers the possibility of a termination for dishonesty looms large. And when push comes to shove the on-road will claim he did not tell the driver to sheet them that way

My guess is he probably never got trained on properly delivering apartments to begin with. I have a similar bulk business stop, and found out that I should technically be using the "dup com" function in the prerecord screen if I'm not attempting the physical addresses first years after I started delivering there. But that would require me to scan each address individually, prerecord them, and then do the dup com. For this particular stop that doesn't work very well. I have asked three different on roads about it, and they all have told me just to keep doing it the way I have been. I basically scan a package addressed to the actual delivery location. Then I scan all the packages that go there, regardless of the address on the package. It shows in tracking that the packages were delivered to a different address, but I've only had to do two follow ups as a result of that. They scan everything that comes in, and I just have them look up the package, see that they received it, and they sign the follow up accordingly. @Whither could probably do the same thing without issue, but should probably ask a sup first.

35years

Gravy route
My guess is he probably never got trained on properly delivering apartments to begin with. I have a similar bulk business stop, and found out that I should technically be using the "dup com" function in the prerecord screen if I'm not attempting the physical addresses first years after I started delivering there. But that would require me to scan each address individually, prerecord them, and then do the dup com. For this particular stop that doesn't work very well. I have asked three different on roads about it, and they all have told me just to keep doing it the way I have been. I basically scan a package addressed to the actual delivery location. Then I scan all the packages that go there, regardless of the address on the package. It shows in tracking that the packages were delivered to a different address, but I've only had to do two follow ups as a result of that. They scan everything that comes in, and I just have them look up the package, see that they received it, and they sign the follow up accordingly. @Whither could probably do the same thing without issue, but should probably ask a sup first.

I would just dup stop them all. You might end up paying for a "misdelivered" package if you sheet them all under one add. You will eventually get a new manager who might say he never authorized you to sheet that way when one comes up missing. And the newbee driver's Left At method would be fine, if, and only if, he dup stops them.