A useful hack to defeat forced ORION—on topic

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
I’m a cover dr and I run Orion as close to 100 as I can, I’m always over on time and miles but, what can they say when I’m running 97%. Plus I make the reg driver look awesome. Win Win in my book.
And in your case you are doing the right thing, you dont have your own route so you are following the company’s instructions as best you can.
In my case...I have been with UPS for 31 years and in my delivery area for 25. I have demonstrated the ability to do my route and make good decisions so I have no excuse for all of a sudden shutting my brain off and going into intentional fail mode.

MC0493

BTW does anyone actually use the map feature?
I took a look at it when I returned to work last week (I was on disability when RDO got taken out and the map installed) and not only is it functionally useless and saddled with graphics out of a 35 year old Atari system, but it will drain the DIAD battery flat by noon. And of course, none of the new cars we are getting are set up with a charging port for electronics...
As much as i hate Orion i do actually use the map feature fairly often, especially doing areas i don't know it helps to see where i'm supposed to be going. Granted i can always map it on my phone, the mapnav button is just a bit quicker. Only issue with it is if your diad battery isn't good, at some point it'll disable the navigation, no real issue for a driver who knows what he's doing but i can see it causing train wrecks for casuals this peak.

And in your case you are doing the right thing, you dont have your own route so you are following the company’s instructions as best you can.
In my case...I have been with UPS for 31 years and in my delivery area for 25. I have demonstrated the ability to do my route and make good decisions so I have no excuse for all of a sudden shutting my brain off and going into intentional fail mode.
So in your case you are saying, what you have accomplished in 25 years, is what everyone else accomplishes in 7 days. :wink-very:

bumped

As much as i hate Orion i do actually use the map feature fairly often, especially doing areas i don't know it helps to see where i'm supposed to be going. Granted i can always map it on my phone, the mapnav button is just a bit quicker. Only issue with it is if your diad battery isn't good, at some point it'll disable the navigation, no real issue for a driver who knows what he's doing but i can see it causing train wrecks for casuals this peak.

This is the real problem though. I've tried to used it before when I get that add cut at the end of the day that I've never done before. My battery will decrease throughout the day anyway to the point that the DIAD will shut off the map navigation. But, I need the map nav after it was shut off because that's the stuff I didn't know.

542thruNthru

BTW does anyone actually use the map feature?
I took a look at it when I returned to work last week (I was on disability when RDO got taken out and the map installed) and not only is it functionally useless and saddled with graphics out of a 35 year old Atari system, but it will drain the DIAD battery flat by noon. And of course, none of the new cars we are getting are set up with a charging port for electronics...

Question, what are you going to do when they install the new DIAD holders that charges the battery but also puts the DIAD into map mode for every stop?

@Jackburton has it already and said this if you missed it.

"It’s turn by turn that automatically comes on when you cradle it, no more scrolling through Edd when it’s in the cradle. It automatically starts up GPS (5 seconds each time) to the top stop or the one you bookmarked. If you’re like me and don’t follow Edd you have to bookmark each stop or the stop that shows up will be the one it generates directions for.

Here’s he kicker, there’s a report they use to make sure you’re using it, that every stop you go, you must ultilize the map directions, if not, it doesn’t count towards your 100% compliance which they have already brought people in the office for.

It gets even better, cradle the DIAD on the wrong stop, it takes 5 seconds to generate direction, uncradle it, takes 3ish to come out of “cant use the buttons mode” then you bookmark the right one, take another 5 seconds to load the turn by turn, then you drive to the stop, repeat the “wake up mode” of 3 seconds, scan and deliver.

All of this crap does absolutely nothing for anyone who knows the area they aredelivering in, but one more step in your daily routine.

Did I mention that if your stop is two houses down, you are forced to generate directions for it? It’s especially fun when ORION has you running a neighborhood backwards."

Question, what are you going to do when they install the new DIAD holders that charges the battery but also puts the DIAD into map mode for every stop?

"It’s turn by turn that automatically comes on when you cradle it, no more scrolling through Edd when it’s in the cradle. It automatically starts up GPS (5 seconds each time) to the top stop or the one you bookmarked. If you’re like me and don’t follow Edd you have to bookmark each stop or the stop that shows up will be the one it generates directions for.

Here’s he kicker, there’s a report they use to make sure you’re using it, that every stop you go, you must ultilize the map directions, if not, it doesn’t count towards your 100% compliance which they have already brought people in the office for.

It gets even better, cradle the DIAD on the wrong stop, it takes 5 seconds to generate direction, uncradle it, takes 3ish to come out of “cant use the buttons mode” then you bookmark the right one, take another 5 seconds to load the turn by turn, then you drive to the stop, repeat the “wake up mode” of 3 seconds, scan and deliver.

All of this crap does absolutely nothing for anyone who knows the area they aredelivering in, but one more step in your daily routine.

Did I mention that if your stop is two houses down, you are forced to generate directions for it? It’s especially fun when ORION has you running a neighborhood backwards."
I’m using paper to save time.

gman042

Been around the block a few times

Simply put?
A ludicrous proposal to further inhibit proper delivery of packages
If they can’t have it their way they damned sure will force you to!

soberups

I wont be putting it the cradle, thats for damn sure.
I can forsee the day when your only hope of getting off in under 14 hours is to not download EDD in the morning so that you can actually get some work done...

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Only difference is we get paid.

We have to work as directed, unless the instruction is illegal, unsafe, or immoral.
There is no contractual protection from stupidity.

soberups

Only difference is we get paid.

We have to work as directed, unless the instruction is illegal, unsafe, or immoral.
There is no contractual protection from stupidity.
But demanding ORION compliance while at the same time holding us responsible and threatening discipline for the service failures that result from ORION compliance is oversupervision and harassment, which we do have contractual protection from.
They want to have it both ways and they cant.