Able to use my personal blade for work?

detmaintainer

Detroit Maintenance Rat
Check the zero tolerance for weapons and violence PCM. If I remember correctly knives are addressed and they were allowed if used as a tool. I think the PCM said if you used the knife as a weapon you would then be in violation of the UPS weapons and violence policy.

rod

Retired 22 years
A hundred years ago when we worked on paper delivery records all we used was the bankers clip. Could cut just about anything with that.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
For a job like that I'd get the one with the replaceable razor blades to boot. They'd have a pretty hard time arguing that as a weapon.
These FDX ground guys get box cutters and use the fire extinguisher as well to get through their day!
Screenshot_20191029-230948_Gallery.jpg

Nothing like having the right tool for the job to make your shift a bit smoother.

trailer loader

Trailer Loader
With that idea in mind, you'd love our hub. We have a guard shack that we have to go through - metal detectors, show ID, etc. Yet, literally right beside the guard shack - is a paved road that customers drive up to get to the building so they can ship packages, etc. Right next to the entrance of the customer center is the big door that guys drive the package cars in and out of. So, if you were an employee who wanted to do something "bad" - there's literally nothing stopping you from driving your car up to the customer building, parking, hopping out, running in that big door, and doing whatever it is you were intending to do. Considering some of the folks I work with - it's a scary thought. The "security" fasad is comical.

security in my hub is a joke, we just walk through in and out, they dont care that the metal detectors are beeping nonstop as we all walk through, once in awhile they will "glance" in my bag, but for the most part they dont give a crap, the only time they do their actual job is when they are training some one new, and then after a month or two that newbie quits giving a crap either

542thruNthru

I suppose I could also just ask him to let me use my blade in exchange for not reporting him for all the air regulations he doesn’t follow

Blackmail... good idea. So when he says ok you can bring your blade and a week later fires you for bringing in a weapon. You can then report him while you're filing for unemployment.

Geezus it's just a stupid knife leave it at home or in your car.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Blackmail... good idea. So when he says ok you can bring your blade and a week later fires you for bringing in a weapon. You can then report him while you're filing for unemployment.

Geezus it's just a stupid knife leave it at home or in your car.
Can you get unemployment for a job that you make $49 A-day in gross wages?

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
Yes, from a quick look you just have to have made 1,300 in the highest quarter. 3 month period.

Still not the point I was trying to make. ;)
I got it. Forget the knife. Go hunt for box cutters that the company supplies (great waste of time and money) and you've been a productive Teamster in a company that is run by liabilities.

It's not that hard. Heck, if box cutters are good enough to take on a plane they'll be good enough to cut stuff up at work. :rolleyes:

Superteeth2478

GOOD. FUDGING. GOD. Just use the knives they provide you with. If they don't work well that's on them. Why would you go into the trouble of blackmailing a supervisor for not following some regulations no one cares about anyways? If they cared about these regulations would the supervisor keep violating them? And @542thruNthru had a good point. Go ahead and report the supervisor for something NO ONE cares about while you're collecting unemployment after getting fired for bringing your personal knife to work after being told not to. Others have already said it...IT'S NOT YOUR PROBLEM IF THEY DON'T PROVIDE YOU WITH GOOD KNIVES AT ALL TIMES. Those biggiebrown posts with the cringeworthy people wielding blades trying to look badass seem to ring true in this situation. I can't think of any other reason you insist on bringing your own knife unless you think it makes you look super-cool or something.

Recon d15

Got it worked out with the safety rep and sup and was able to bring a box cutter with a sheath. Thanks for all your input guys! I appreciate it