Able to use my personal blade for work?

InsideUPS

I work in the warehouse as the hazmat auditor, hazmat responder, international auditor, and air loader. About a year ago I bought myself a little knife with a sheath that I kept on my belt to help me with my work since all I’m doing all day is slicing open invoice pouches, cutting off waybills (majority of our shippers tape them onto the box with a few layers of tape), and cutting open boxes when it’s required. Ever since I bought that little knife it’s made it a lot easier to balance all my positions since I don’t have to waste time looking for where I put down the company issued box cutter and not having to worry about one of my coworkers taking my blade(which is a big issue at my facility). A few days ago my part time supervisor told me I wasn’t able to bring my little blade anymore because of safety issues (the example he gave was that I could trip and fall and somehow my knife would fall out of its secured sheath, land perfectly on its hilt, and impale me. Which sounds like a load of b.s.) I could easily make a list of unsafe findings and other rules being broken by him. I know for a fact that supervisor just doesn’t like me, but ever since I stopped being able to bring my small belt knife it’s made my job a lot harder since I’m only 1 of 4 air loaders, 1 of 3 international auditors, 1 of 2 hazmat responders, and the only hazmat auditor in my facility. Is there anything I can do about this or do I just have to accept it and learn to live with it?

You have a lot better chance of cutting yourself with UPS's supplied box cutters IMHO. I use a small pocket knife all the time in my inside work at UPS and have never had an issue with a supervisor. When drivers use to cut off C.O.D. tags they also used knives without any issues. The UPS box cutter is dangerous in that it does not retract easily and is often found with open blade on the slides, etc.. Maybe you need to do a little "blading stunt" for your PT supervisor using the UPS issued box cutter ;-) I'm sure that would change his mind about your pocket knife in a sheath.

Blading (professional wrestling) - Wikipedia

Screen Shot 2019-11-01 at 7.32.00 AM.png

Dough99

I work in the warehouse as the hazmat auditor, hazmat responder, international auditor, and air loader. About a year ago I bought myself a little knife with a sheath that I kept on my belt to help me with my work since all I’m doing all day is slicing open invoice pouches, cutting off waybills (majority of our shippers tape them onto the box with a few layers of tape), and cutting open boxes when it’s required. Ever since I bought that little knife it’s made it a lot easier to balance all my positions since I don’t have to waste time looking for where I put down the company issued box cutter and not having to worry about one of my coworkers taking my blade(which is a big issue at my facility). A few days ago my part time supervisor told me I wasn’t able to bring my little blade anymore because of safety issues (the example he gave was that I could trip and fall and somehow my knife would fall out of its secured sheath, land perfectly on its hilt, and impale me. Which sounds like a load of b.s.) I could easily make a list of unsafe findings and other rules being broken by him. I know for a fact that supervisor just doesn’t like me, but ever since I stopped being able to bring my small belt knife it’s made my job a lot harder since I’m only 1 of 4 air loaders, 1 of 3 international auditors, 1 of 2 hazmat responders, and the only hazmat auditor in my facility. Is there anything I can do about this or do I just have to accept it and learn to live with it?
Don’t eat yellow snow either