Ac in pkg car

KoennenTiger

For now the only advice I could give is 2 park it in a well shaded area when drivers take their breaks ....open up rear door .....that’s really all u can do

I do this every single day. Between 12 and 12:30 I arrange to be under the freeway overpass. If other people have parked there? I double park. Open the back door, the bulkhead, and sort my truck. Move everything forward so i don't have to do it during my pickups, look for misloads, and often take my lunch after. Both businesses on either side are owned by guys who are more than happy to let me sit inside while I eat.

It would be great if the shade really could cool down the back of the truck but it doesn't do a lot once you're back in the sun. However having all my packages lined up perfect and moved up to the front makes a huge difference in time spent in the oven.

SmithBarney

Those FedEx W700's and W900's A/C get so clogged with dust that they become nonfunctional in less than a year. FedEx trucks are also primarily white, reflecting heat. They have only a center row roof made of fiberglas, limiting solar heat gain. A/C repairs on these units are low priority, and getting the parts takes weeks. The solar heat gain in the Sprinters, due to the massive windshield, makes the A/C ineffective if there is no mileage between stops.
Sprinters DO, however, have a POWER ROOF VENT in the cargo area that, left on constantly, has a major impact on the ambient temperature. Simple, effective, cost-efficient.

Here ya go, Teamsters. Something worth negotiating.

I'm going to disagree with your assessment, after 6 stations and many years

While it's no Freezer, the A/C in 700/900s does a good job from keeping you from wanting to die, A/C is repaired quickly when needed, parts are common and arrive just as fast as any other parts, trucks in HOT areas are pulled off road if they have no AC, only used as backup until repaired. I've driven 400,000mile chassis and all of them cool fine enough.

Sprinters keep very cool, keep that bulkhead door closed and the heat from the rear stays back there.
Surprisingly enough the econoline/gmc vans have some of the worst cooling, they cool, but not well.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I grew up in a house without AC. This was near the gulf coast of Texas. AC isn’t that important.
My dad grew up in McAllen. Regardless of this he recognizes, as I recognize, the importance of dealing with the dangers of heat related illness and injury in the work place and that having vehicles with air conditioning is not too much to ask for drivers who slave for a rich corporation.

For those who are so against this my suggestion is that if you are still with UPS when the vehicles are air conditioned feel free not to use them, if you feel it is just a waste.