Access Points

oldngray

nowhere special
We are talking about paid send agains.

There is nothing that can be done about no money send agains.

Yes, I didn't clarify paid because COD send agains are beyond a driver's control. Still as you also agreed, a good driver following methods usually still have some paid send agains. Having 0 raises flags about whether he followed methods and what his claims were like - which were not mentioned in that puff piece.

Tiny Panda

I sense there is strong feeling about Access Points over the pond, we've been using them for about 2 years here in the UK and they were the best thing we've had in recent years.

Everything here has to have a signature unless the shipper of customer allows a release, drivers would reguarly have 15-20 send agains, having an Access Point eliminated a lot of those. Unfortunately it wasnt implemented very well, no drivers were asked about locations of the AP's and as such a lot are unsuitable or have since been dropped. Mine has no storage for packages and a lot are left sat on the shop floor in full view. They keep demanding more money per parcel despite knowing what they signed up for.

You then get the customers who can'[t be bothered to go and collect them, some like the one yesterday is a 2 min walk but i had to redeliver it back to the customer. Or like last Friday when despite being a qtr of a mile from the AP they wanted it collecting and re-delivering, i could have dropped it in after collecting it but if they can't be bothered then nor can i so it was delivered on Tuesday after the bank holiday. It's optional to take it to the AP but when you override it you have to give a reason, there is 4 pre-set reasons but you can type in what you want. You have to explain it to the sup if you have too many or unusual reasons. You have to use a bit of common sense, if you deliver to a complex that is retired people or similar you know there is a chance they won't be able to collect it so you make 3 attempts like normal.

It's worked quite well from the customers point of view, they don't have to worry about waiting around the following day and can have it delivered direct to the AP if the shipper offers that service.

They're currently upgrading the AP terminals ready to begin accepting COD's from the summer

DOK

Not me. It worked well on our rural routes until management started taking entire towns off of the cars and putting them under the belt. If they would have just left it alone....

I also feel the company wanted to use remote to control the growth of the company. Namely, to control the number of employees, equipment, vehicles etc.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I also feel the company wanted to use remote to control the growth of the company. Namely, to control the number of employees, equipment, vehicles etc.

Why would a company want to limit it's own growth?

Rural remote was supposed to be about saving the company money by delaying delivery of "chasers" until there were enough packages to justify the added miles. When the program was first started it was up to the driver to make the call but it didn't take long for the company to take that decision out of our hands.

Fragile

I have no problem with options as long as the consignee is also given the option of the 2nd and 3rd attempt that he/she paid for.

They're not. Not until the customer calls up a concern and the driver retrieves the package from the access point brings it back to the clerk to get rerouted to it's original destination address. Give or take a 3- 4 day process.

Are there any drivers reading this thread that deliver to the designated ZIP codes in Chicago or Brooklyn that can give some first-person feedback on how this service is rolling out and being received by customers?

You are.

Last edited:

worldwide

They're not. Not until the customer calls up a concern and the driver retrieves the package from the access point brings it back to the clerk to get rerouted to it's original destination address. Give or take a 3- 4 day process.

You are.

OK, since you have first hand experience, has the rollout of AccessPoint in your area been more successful versus less than successful? How many packages (approx.) would you say you have made one attempt and then sent it to an AccessPoint? Out of that many, how many customers have complained to you about some aspect of the experience?

I'm interested in your experiences with the service.

UPS does, on a somewhat frequent basis, update their tariff that governs how the system "works" and what the rules are. It's posted right on ups.com for anyone to see and the date of the most recent changes are listed. Anytime a customer ships a package, they are legally bound by those policies. Does anyone ever read the tariff? Probably not but is that UPS' fault? Does every consumer read the legal agreements and "fine print" they sign with any use of software, websites, apps, etc? Most skim through them to the bottom of the page, click the "accept" button and move on.

Three delivery attempts are no longer an absolute given. The new policy is:

"For Residential deliveries and where
available, UPS may in its sole and unlimited
discretion, after the first delivery
attempt, deliver a Shipment to a UPS
Access Point™ location, where such
Shipment will be held for pickup. Requests
for subsequent Delivery attempts are
subject to additional Charges which will
be assessed to the Consignee."

UPS is certainly not the only company to change their policies to adapt to changing market conditions. I'm sure there are some people that don't like the change. Most people are resistant to change. Seems like AccessPoints have been overall received favorably based on the number of them across the world. Consumer feedback created AccessPoint so I think its good to see UPS listening to the marketplace and offering options. How soon before FedEx offers their version of AccessPoints?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Sounds to me like the typical UPS knee jerk reaction to a good idea.

Take it to the N'th degree from it's inception and mandate its success.

This process should be at the complete discretion of the consignee, not management or the driver.

Fragile

Out of that many, how many customers have complained to you about some aspect of the experience?

How about when I see them the following day after their package has been sent to a access point and I have another package for them... you can come to your own conclusion on how that conversation goes down.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

How about when I see them the following day after their package has been sent to a access point and I have another package for them... you can come to your own conclusion on how that conversation goes down.

At that point I would give them the local number and my supervisor's name. I am not going to spend my time trying to defend a program that I do not believe in.

DOK

Sounds to me like the typical UPS knee jerk reaction to a good idea.

Take it to the N'th degree from it's inception and mandate its success.

This process should be at the complete discretion of the consignee, not management or the driver.

Exactly, let this be at the customers discretion, give them another option.

worldwide

As I stated, there will ALWAYS be some people that are not happy with change. You have given one example of a customer potentially not happy. My reply to that customer would have been something like, "Since you were not home yesterday when I made the attempt, the package was sent to XYZ location - a UPS Access Point. UPS wants to get your package delivered on the first attempt whenever possible just as I am sure you would like to get the items you ordered as soon as possible." Maybe, just maybe, the customer will understand more about the process and service and appreciate it. Maybe they will not be happy and never will be - as you know, some customers will never be satisfied with what you do or offer to do. Of course, UPS should always be doing what they can to satisfy the customer but it will never be 100% satisfaction with all customers.

The questions remain:
  • Has the rollout of Access Point in your area been more successful versus less successful?
  • How many packages (approx.) would you say you have made one attempt and then sent it to an Access Point?
  • Out of that many, how many customers have actually complained to you about some aspect of the experience?

oldngray

nowhere special
UPS wants to get rid of the package on the first attempt regardless of what the customer wants in other words. Access Points used when it is the customer's choice is one thing but UPS doing it even if it is something the customer doesn't want is completely different. It appears to be all about cutting costs for UPS regardless of whether it benefits or inconveniences the customer.

worldwide

UPS wants to get rid of the package on the first attempt regardless of what the customer wants in other words. Access Points used when it is the customer's choice is one thing but UPS doing it even if it is something the customer doesn't want is completely different. It appears to be all about cutting costs for UPS regardless of whether it benefits or inconveniences the customer.

Yes, UPS wants to deliver on the first attempt just like customers want to receive the package on the first attempt.

Customers DO have a choice and it's called MyChoice. Customers with MyChoice know when a package is being delivered and if they will not be home, can have the package held or redelivered on a date they will be home.

What if the customer is not enrolled in MyChoice? If they have an e-mail address and give their e-mail address to the company they are placing the order with, they will get an e-mail notification of delivery. If they are not going to be home, they can call UPS to have the package held or redelivered on a date they will be home.

What if they have not enrolled in MyChoice and do not have e-mail? They did order something online so they know something is coming to their apartment. They also likely know that packages can't be left without a signature.

Does Access Point cut some cost from the delivery side? It does prevent redelivery which is an additional cost so there is some savings there. At the same time, UPS equips every Access Point location with a scanner and signature pad at no cost. Does the cost savings of not making a 2nd delivery attempt outweigh the cost of the equipment given to the Access Point location? I don't know but if you assume the cost of the equipment is about $150 - $200 (based on some prices of equipment online), it's going to take some time to see an ROI. Last time I checked, UPS was a for-profit company so they should be looking at ways to reduce cost and give consumers options they are asking for.

BTW, the closest Customer Center to Brooklyn is about 3 miles away versus a 10-15 minute walk to a nearby Access Point.

If any customer is NOT happy with the one attempt/redirect to Access Point, they can simply enroll in the free option of MyChoice and then they will know what's going to be delivered and can then make their preferences known before the package is delivered (redeliver, hold at Access Point, Customer Center, etc.).

Lastly, just saw on ups.com another new option rolling out called Direct Delivery Only. Direct Delivery Only (DDO) is a shipping service that ensures a package is delivered to the address on the shipping label and prevents a recipient from rerouting the package to another address. So, if you are in one of the ZIP codes that get one delivery attempt but don't want the package sent to an Access Point, there is a service to prevent that.

This is still a new service so people (customers & employees) are still learning about it. As it is a getting rolled out to other major metro areas (Boston, DC and San Francisco are next according to some online articles ), the awareness will increase. I still believe that these services (Access Point, MyChoice and DDO) gives consumers what they want - more options and choices. I don't see how that is a bad thing for the customer.

oldngray

nowhere special
Yes, UPS wants to deliver on the first attempt just like customers want to receive the package on the first attempt.

Customers DO have a choice and it's called MyChoice. Customers with MyChoice know when a package is being delivered and if they will not be home, can have the package held or redelivered on a date they will be home.

What if the customer is not enrolled in MyChoice? If they have an e-mail address and give their e-mail address to the company they are placing the order with, they will get an e-mail notification of delivery. If they are not going to be home, they can call UPS to have the package held or redelivered on a date they will be home.

What if they have not enrolled in MyChoice and do not have e-mail? They did order something online so they know something is coming to their apartment. They also likely know that packages can't be left without a signature.

Does Access Point cut some cost from the delivery side? It does prevent redelivery which is an additional cost so there is some savings there. At the same time, UPS equips every Access Point location with a scanner and signature pad at no cost. Does the cost savings of not making a 2nd delivery attempt outweigh the cost of the equipment given to the Access Point location? I don't know but if you assume the cost of the equipment is about $150 - $200 (based on some prices of equipment online), it's going to take some time to see an ROI. Last time I checked, UPS was a for-profit company so they should be looking at ways to reduce cost and give consumers options they are asking for.

BTW, the closest Customer Center to Brooklyn is about 3 miles away versus a 10-15 minute walk to a nearby Access Point.

If any customer is NOT happy with the one attempt/redirect to Access Point, they can simply enroll in the free option of MyChoice and then they will know what's going to be delivered and can then make their preferences known before the package is delivered (redeliver, hold at Access Point, Customer Center, etc.).

Lastly, just saw on ups.com another new option rolling out called Direct Delivery Only. Direct Delivery Only (DDO) is a shipping service that ensures a package is delivered to the address on the shipping label and prevents a recipient from rerouting the package to another address. So, if you are in one of the ZIP codes that get one delivery attempt but don't want the package sent to an Access Point, there is a service to prevent that.

This is still a new service so people (customers & employees) are still learning about it. As it is a getting rolled out to other major metro areas (Boston, DC and San Francisco are next according to some online articles ), the awareness will increase. I still believe that these services (Access Point, MyChoice and DDO) gives consumers what they want - more options and choices. I don't see how that is a bad thing for the customer.

You make the assumption there that the customer would prefer to have to go out of their way to get their package from an Access Point instead of just waiting for UPS to attempt again at their house the next day. Quite a few people would rather wait instead of needing to go to another location to pick up their package the first day. The customer having the option is one thing but UPS is doing it even if the customer wishes otherwise.

worldwide

You make the assumption there that the customer would prefer to have to go out of their way to get their package from an Access Point instead of just waiting for UPS to attempt again at their house the next day. Quite a few people would rather wait instead of needing to go to another location to pick up their package the first day. The customer having the option is one thing but UPS is doing it even if the customer wishes otherwise.

No, I make the assumption that the customer wants the package on the first delivery attempt. I think most people want their package sooner rather than later. As I said, customers now have multiple options to get the package on the first attempt. You think a customer in Brooklyn would rather travel at least 3 miles to the UPS Customer Center (only Mon-Fri) versus walking a few blocks to a location open 7 days a week and usually till 8 or 9 PM? THAT is going out of their way.

You make the assumption that the customer prefers to wait at least an extra day for delivery, take time out of their day to sit at home to wait for the driver to show up sometime between 9 AM and 8 PM. Again, customers have the ability to know when the package will be delivered and if they don't want it redirected to an Access Point, they can specify that. Customers have more options now then they ever have had - what's the downside of giving the customer more choices and options?

BrownArmy

...Customers have more options now then they ever have had - what's the downside of giving the customer more choices and options?

I like your posts, you lay out a very rational platform, but in answer to your question, it's just another way us drivers are going to be kicked right in the nuts.

oldngray

nowhere special
His posts are a bit too rational to be anything other than those written by a corporate spokesperson.

Agreed. Informative but adheres to the company's point of view on issues. Similar to copy and paste press releases at times but he does add additional information not otherwise well explained.